Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crowlogic

Bob Heironimus And Bob Gimlin's Friendship

kitakaze
Bob H has the sour grapes not me.

Ah...

I thought it was Gimlin having some serious sour grapes with Patterson and DeAtley. His grapes were in fact so face-puckeringly sour that he confronted Patricia Patterson at Roger's funeral before his friend was even in the ground telling that it was time to settle up. You can still get a dose of sour grapes when Gimlin speaks about Roger today. He supplied the transportation, his horse - no, wait - that's the old version. Now it's just the transportation.

What kind of guy would rat out his friend, Crow?

What kind of guy would approach his best friend's widow while she and her three fatherless children are mourning their loss looking for a payday? If it is fair for you to question Heironimus' character for "ratting out" his friend, then by your own actions it is fair for me to questions Gimlin's actions that were far more appalling.

Yes, if we are going to play it like that on BH, sweet mother, the door swings both ways. You would know what BH's reasons were for coming forward if you had bothered to read his interviews with Greg Long. You would know about Dahinden, recounting what he thought of as Gimlin's greed and the funeral, if you had bothered to read that.

You haven't and for about the 26th time in the last two days, the failure of PGF believers to educate themselves adequately is allowing for major gaffes on their part.

Edited by Splash7
Change wording at Kit's request.

Guest Crowlogic

Ah...

I thought it was Gimlin having some serious sour grapes with Patterson and DeAtley. His grapes were in fact so face-puckeringly sour that he confronted Patricia Patterson at Roger's funeral before his friend was even in the ground telling that it was time to settle up. You can still get a dose of sour grapes when Gimlin speaks about Roger today. He supplied the transportation, his horse - no, wait - that's the old version. Now it's just the transportation.

What kind of guy would rat out his friend, Crow?

What kind of guy would approach his best friend's widow while she and her three fatherless children are mourning their loss looking for a payday? If it is fair for you to question Heironimus' character for "ratting out" his friend, then by your own actions it is fair for me to questions Gimlin's actions that were far more appalling.

Yes, if we are going to play it like that on BH, sweet mother, the door swings both ways. You would know what BH's reasons were for coming forward if you had bothered to read his interviews with Greg Long. You would know about Dahinden, recounting what he thought of as Gimlin's greed and the funeral, if you had bothered to read that.

You haven't and for about the 26th time in the last two days, the failure of PGF believers to educate themselves adequately is allowing for major gaffes on their part.

Bob H has sour grapes ever since Patterson never paid him. Or so he says. He's also indicated that he wanted to profit from the film as his friends have.

Guest parnassus

Bob H has sour grapes ever since Patterson never paid him. Or so he says. He's also indicated that he wanted to profit from the film as his friends have.

again, Crow, it sounds like you're conceding the fact that Patterson owed him the money. You and Al DeAtley.

I think you oughta put this horse back in the barn and try riding a different one. jmho.

Guest Old Fishing Man

Ah...

That would be unfortunate considering Gimlin in his own words confirmed they were close during a Q&A at the Washington State Capital Museum on January 26, 2008 and that he thought his friend was duped into making the confession.

That would be unfortunate considering in Ohio Gimlin confirmed he still speaks with the guy he said he was never friends with (14:49)...

That would be unfortunate consideriing people don't tend to lend horses they train and care for themselves for three weeks two states away on a Bigfoot search to people they are not good friends with and can trust implicitly.

But thanks for sharing Gimlin telling something that is obviously not true.

See, OFM, the thing is that there are not many, but there are a few people out there like me that while not accepting everything Gimlin says, we take great care to be extremely well informed about the things he does say publicly. That is because there are times like this when the informed skeptic can completely refute with his own words something Gimlin told to one of his ardent believers while on the conference circuit.

Oops.

I think the oops is on you. Do you have audio or video of Gimlin saying he and Bob H. were close?

You state "considering in Ohio Gimlin confirmed he still speaks with the guy he said he was never friends with" Who stated that Gimlin said he was never friends with Bob H? I said he told me they were never close. Would someone lend their horse to someone for three weeks if they weren't close friends? Yes. Do you have to be close friends to have implicit trust in someone? No.

I work with guys every day that often have my life in their hands. I have complete trust in their skills. Are we friends? Yes, while were together. Are we close? Nope. I know their wife's and kid's names but little else. We don't talk outside work. We don't invite each other to kids weddings, etc. Would I lend them my truck for a month? Yes.

I think the real world works a little differently than maybe you have experience with. Oops.

Guest demon

Ah...

That would be unfortunate considering Gimlin in his own words confirmed they were close during a Q&A at the Washington State Capital Museum on January 26, 2008 and that he thought his friend was duped into making the confession.

That would be unfortunate considering in Ohio Gimlin confirmed he still speaks with the guy he said he was never friends with (14:49)...

if bob gets paid all the time to attend theses things.and is still saying hes telling the truth and it was real.then time to back it up.take a polygraph.if someone called me out to be a liar,and i was telling the truth,id be strapped to as many as you like.Funny how bob G wont take one and bob H took two without any pressure.

Edited by demon

Guest LAL

Glenda Heironimus (Bob's wife) and Judy and Bob Gimlin are still on friendly terms. Judy and Glenda chat all the time on their street. When I did my first interview with Bob Heironimus last year he had just been at a horse show with Bob Gimlin only two weeks before. They spoke, but nothing about the film. Within their lives and their small community, the film is not a part of life. It is for Gimlin in the sense that he is a regular on the Bigfoot enthusiast conference circuit.

As I recall there used to be much criticism of him because he kept to himself and wouldn't appear in public. Now he's appearing in public at conferences so he's getting much criticism. Is that about right? I've been out of the loop.

Guest LAL

Except that's not what he said. Listen again.

Except that's not what he said. Listen again.

What Gimlin said was "I still speak to Bob Heironimus when I see him; I don't consider him a friend." A statement clearly indicating that Bob G. doesn't regard Bob H. as his friend, was offered as evidence that the Bobs are close friends.

Pteronarcyd

Edited by Pteronarcyd

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

I didn't take it that way at all. In fact Bob Gimlin makes it a point to say "oh by the way,I want to say also, there was only Roger Patterson and I down there at that time. There was no one else down there." As I took it by the addition of this statement, Bob Gimlin does not consider Bob H. a friend although he will still speak to him. And in country terms that's just a "howdy" as you pass to be polite, or a wave of the hand if you meet someone on the road in passing, not a bonified sit down conversation. Chris B.

I didn't take it that way at all.

Chris,

The person who made the argument wanted us to take it that way. It makes me wonder how many other such arguments are distorted.

Pteronarcyd

kitakaze

What Gimlin said was "I still speak to Bob Heironimus when I see him; I don't consider him a friend." A statement clearly indicating that Bob G. doesn't regard Bob H. as his friend, was offered as evidence that the Bobs are close friends.

Pteronarcyd

Nobody is arguing that Bob and Bob continue to be close friends. They were close friends, but Heironimus coming forward is the reason they are no longer friends.

"I know Bob. He's been a friend of mine for as long time, but as far as I'm concerned, he was not there that I know of, and I don't think he was there at all. And he probably tryin' to make a buck. These guys are coming out of the wall saying the've been in a suit down in Norrthern California."

"I'd say the story Bob has come up with is pretty far-fetched as far as I'm concerned. You know, I've confronted Bob on that. I've said, 'Hey, what's going on?' But he won't talk about it. We're still friends. He just lives a little ways from me. I've worked with him and I've done things with Bob. I've rode horses with him. But this thing he's telling all the people around that he was in a suit in Northern California, it kind of just don't make sense to me."

"I used to trust Bob a lot, but then lately him and the whole family kind of prevaricates. They think things. You know, I don't make statements against my friends or neighbours, but this thing is kind of out of proportion as far as I'm concerned."

Bob Gimlin to Greg Long - September 18, 2001. MoB, p. 422

People claiming seriously to have been in the suit have never been coming out of the wall. There's only ever been one man to do that and the man was a person whom Gimlin still considered a friend at the time, trusted greatly, and was involved with Roger's Bigfoot ventures.

I have talked to Gimlin at the Ohio conference and he made it very clear that Bob H and him were not friends and were never close friends in the past.

Doh!

Edited by kitakaze

kitakaze

There is an important question to be addressed regarding the friendship between Bob Gimlin and Bob Heironimus. On December 5, 1998 Greg Long first contacted Bob Heironimus after numerous people had said he was in the suit in Patterson's film and Long was given the photo from Larry Lund showing Bob and his brother Howard as cast members in Roger's South Fork movie. In this recorded interview Bob Heironimus not only denied and evaded questions about the PGF, he also denied any involvement in Roger's South Fork movie repeatedly after being questioned about it. Here's an excerpt...

I knew Heironimus was one of Patterson's amateur actors in his documentary shot on the the South Fork. I inserted a mild hint of disbelief in my voice, as a test: "So, you're saying you didn't pal around with him (Patterson)?" "No, I didn't. Uh-uh." "For a period of time in the 1960s he was trying to make a Bigfoot documentary - " "Uh-huh," he said, projecting disinterest. " - on the South Fork; and there's Bob Gimlin, and a guy named Jerry Merritt, and some other guys, were playing roles in this movie. Are you aware of that movie?" "Yeah, I know something about that. Uh..." A nervous twicth rippled thorugh his voice. "What do you know about that movie?" I said, increasing the pitch of my voice slightly. "Well, I - you know," he fumbled, "I think more than a few people knew about that movie after it come out, you know."

Heironimus was referring to the Bluff Creek footage. I sensed he was trying to deflect my attention away from Patterson's South Fork documentary. "Well, there's a famous movie of the Bigfoot walking across this open area down in Norther California, there's that movie - " "Uh-huh." Apprehension was in his voice. " - and then there was another movie he was doing on his own in the Ahtanum Valley. He was using a cameraman from a local television station, I think, to do this movie." Slowly, he said, "Uh... huh." And Bob Gimlin and Jerry Merritt were two guys who were in this movie." Suddenly, I sprang the question on him: "Were you part of tha movie?" "No," he answered flatly.

Merritt had told me that Heironimus was in the documentary. He had identified Heironimus's image in the photo of the six cowboys that Lund had given me. There was Bob Heironimus sitting on a horse. "Are you aware of that movie he was - ?" "No," he said. Then he caught himself, "It kinda, you know, rings a bell." He added, "I'm not really sure, you know." "Uh-huh," I said. MoB, p. 146-147

Bob then continues to deny involvement in the South Fork film and clumsily evade questions about it and the PGF. Bob is shown on the far right in this cast shot here...

Lund-Horsemen+in+Yakima.JPG

In the middle left still from the movie he is the second to last rider and the bottom left he is the leftmost at the campfire with the black jacket...

8eed5c421.jpg

Footage showing Bob in Patterson's movie can be seen from the 00:35 mark here...

In the interview Heironimus tells Long that it would be better for him to talk to Gimlin and that he can't say more than that. In every way he is acting like he is protecting Gimlin. What can not be denied is that until Heironimus came forward, he and Gimlin had been longtime close friends who lived next to each other and had once worked together. By Heironimus' account the friendship ended when Gimlin forced him to come foreward alone saying he had been too long living the lie. Gimlin suggested that he thought Heironimus had been tricked into making a false accusation and that as far as he knew, no one else was at Bluff Creek. So this begs the question: Why did Heironimus deny any involvement in the South Fork film? Why did he deny his connection to Patterson? Why did he tell long that he couldn't tell him more and then tell him to go speak to Gimlin?

I think the reason why is that at this point when Bob and Bob were still close friends, he was keeping his role secret to protect Gimlin when an investigator came looking for the truth.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Kit, A PGF novice question here. Can any of the footage that you were able to find, (like the campfire shot at the :35 mark), be verified as being shot after the Patty footage was shot? That would go a long way in my mind as far as intent on making a movie. Or did it all end and they packed it in when the Patty footage was shot?

And did they know that if six guys try to ride between two trees, they might get stuck like they did? Sorry, the first question was real. That's just what I see every time I see that photo.

kitakaze

Those scenes were not shot after, but rather before. Howard Heironimus said in his interview with me that the South Fork footage was shot in May 1967. Jerry Merritt told Long the footage was shot both before the PGF and before his trip to Hollywood with Roger before that.

roguefooter

You would know about Dahinden, recounting what he thought of as Gimlin's greed and the funeral, if you had bothered to read that.

Where can I read about this?

From what I had read, Dahinden was the one who pushed Gimlin into the lawsuits and going after the money- which Gimlin did but ultimately got fed up with it and dumped his rights on Dahinden for $10. Dahinden then proceeded to file even more lawsuits, so this idea of Dahinden complaining about the greed of Gimlin seems a bit out of place.

If Gimlin did this and Dahinden was with him then I can only speculate that Dahinden coerced him into doing it, since he clearly coerced him into pursuing lawsuits. Dahinden was basically dirt poor and Gimlin was financially comfortable, so IMO the intent leans towards Dahinden in these financial pursuits.

Edited by roguefooter

Sign in to follow this