When To Shoot Or When To Run Or Even Hide?

Guest tracker

Knuck, interesting as you are one of the first I have heard this from. When you consider all the reactions across the board regarding interactions from people all over their reported but unverified range/distribution, it makes sense. I suspect they have had the entire series of possible reactions from us. Still, they hold their aggression back generally speaking..

I would NEVER question your own personal experience in the field, Huntster. Excellent post.

However, I would say that some others may have had different experiences with black bears in BC. Based on research by Shelton - black bears stalking and killing humans is far more common than brown bears doing the same.

No doubt about it. Black bears can be extremely dangerous. The Liard Hot Springs event is enough proof of that in and of itself.

The bear I mentioned in my post above was a black bear. He was acting very strangely, indeed. But I really think it was more curiosity than aggression, although aggression may have been an ultimate end. In short, he was testing me, but he was doing it smart. I only got a couple of looks at him (both at a range of about 15'). It was in an area where they couldn't legally be hunted, and there are plenty of hikers to steal food from.

In the field in my area - not yours - I have found that to be the case through personal experience. I think black bears in this area might also be larger than yours and our browns smaller. I know our blacks are certainly larger than any I have encountered in the Yukon.

I agree fully. Our interior black bears tend to be smaller, but coastal black bears can get pretty large, just like the coastal brown bears. That is especially true on Prince of Wales Island, where there is no competition with the brown bears.

Plus - due to Disney trained government officials in BC- black bears are far less afraid and far more aggressive to humans than they were 40 years ago. Our Browns are more aggressive as well - but they just don't seem to have people on their menu like blacks do.

I again agree fully. Unhunted bears and gun control result in more aggressive bears.

If I couldn't be armed, I don't think I'd be an outdoorsman.

BFF Patron

Running and hiding are not real good options against these predators with malintent. Pre-trip planning, careful questioning of those with knowledge of your area (park service/forest rangers, etc.), careful storage and preparation of food and clothing with food smells goes a long way toward making yourself less likely to encounter conflict. Funny how with backcountry Yellowstone and Glacier park experience, I only ran into bears that were attempting to gain access to hung food in a campsite, those that disobeyed common sense and camped on an island or sand bar by the river were not as lucky (ref. July 1980 Glacier Park). Just my experience, still I believe weaponry and bear spray is a good backup when the determined predator makes a go of it. I am still more fearful of deranged humans and big cats than bears and BF, again never experienced the 10 footers yet though (or Grizzly/Brown bears).

Guest rockinkt

How about just carrying a large hunting knife like old tracker, that will test your skills and courage? dry.gif

Nope. I live and play in the real world.

If I lived in an area where both black bear & brown bear that had showed predatory behavior on people, were, no way I would work the area without protection. Chances are I would work areas like that with other people as well.

Cougar dont usually figure into human attacks. Especially men, but you never know and its happened.

Edited by treeknocker

Guest tracker

If I lived in an area where both black bear & brown bear that had showed predatory behavior on people, were, no way I would work the area without protection. Chances are I would work areas like that with other people as well.

Cougar dont usually figure into human attacks. Especially men, but you never know and its happened.

Would this place be in the real world TK ? :) . In Alaska you would need a good rifle and a large hunting knife. Anywhere browns are a problem. Huntster is from up there I think? he would know. Blacks you can scare away with pots and pans.

I think rockinkt wrote it first, and I'd like to repeat it:

The places where bears are the most aggressive are places where they have little fear of getting shot because there are lots of people, no guns, and no hunting. They learn quickly.

In the few areas where there are very few inhabitants and lots of very large brown bears, these bears have been hunted. They fear men.

However, there have been relatively new "parks" created in these areas. Most notable is Katmai National Park (where Timothy Treadwell was eaten). In the more remote areas of the park, I wouldn't go there on a bet. In Brooks Camp, the bears have literally been "parkified". A similar place is the McNeil River State Sanctuary, but the state has managed it very well. They strictly limit the number of people who can visit, and the people can only inhabit certain areas. The people are controlled. The bears are not. The feds have tried to create another McNeil type park at Brooks Camp, with limited success. No maulings there (unlike the remote areas where Treadwell was playing his game), but not as many bears, and not as many limits on human activities.

Brooks Camp and McNeil River are pretty neat, but it's not for me. I like the real thing. Further down the Alaska Peninsula one can find truly wild areas with few people and an insane number of brown bears. Indeed, that's all there is there, besides foxes and birds........no ungulates like moose or caribou. The bears live on salmon and grasses.

Brown bears are like gangbangers. They're on their own agenda. They're very dangerous, but usually only interact with other gangbangers. Most of us avoid their neighborhood, knowing the danger.

If we enter their neighborhood, the odds are high that there will be some "testing" that will occur. Stalking. Posturing. They'll use the darkness and cover. They'll make huffing noises. They'll circle you while under cover.

It's quite a bit like the Bauman story accredited to Teddy Roosevelt where the trappers were followed regularly from cover. That's why that story sounded so credible to me. Bears do it. All the time.

• Upvote 1

Guest rockinkt

Would this place be in the real world TK ? :) . In Alaska you would need a good rifle and a large hunting knife. Anywhere browns are a problem. Huntster is from up there I think? he would know. Blacks you can scare away with pots and pans.

I believe you need to check your facts surrounding black bear attacks in BC.

Guest vilnoori

Outside of specifically designated areas, a BC resident may carry a non-restricted firearm for self protection outside of hunting season.

Just carry your FAC, or PAL, or POL.

Personally, I prefer a 12 gauge with slugs as it has been my experience in shooting bears that the double ought - or SSG (British designation) does not have the penetration needed at distances over 10 yards.

And I guess you get the two shots that way. What do you think of a compound crossbow? Or a compound bow, unwieldy and slow to get up, I guess. Lots of power but only one shot then. What about restricted? I do have the license for restricted as well for my work (when I return to the workplace, right now busy with kids).

rockinkt, on 15 January 2011 - 10:47 PM, said:

Outside of specifically designated areas, a BC resident may carry a non-restricted firearm for self protection outside of hunting season.

Just carry your FAC, or PAL, or POL.

Personally, I prefer a 12 gauge with slugs as it has been my experience in shooting bears that the double ought - or SSG (British designation) does not have the penetration needed at distances over 10 yards.

And I guess you get the two shots that way.

Actually, with a pump or semi-auto shotgun, you get as many as you wish.

Just keep feeding it.

And even 000 (triple "ought") is inadequate. Rocknkt is again wise: use the slug. At close range, it is like a round from a medieval cannon.

It is even overwhelming for a huge brown bear. Hell, the slug itself weighs an ounce or more. It can hurt even projecting the damned thing from a shoulder mounted weapon.

Let's just say that few target practice with 12 ga. slugs...........

What do you think of a compound crossbow?

I wish I could hunt with one in Alaska.

It's illegal.

Or a compound bow,

I hunted small game with those as a teen.

That's incredibly old technology.

Neat hobby, but poor weaponry today.

Guest tracker

I believe you need to check your facts surrounding black bear attacks in BC.

Why would i worry about that when this topic and web site is about Sasquatch. Lets get back on track or at least compare the bears woodcraft with BF's. Sorry guys as cool as you hunting knowledge is this isn't about how to hunt bears. tracker.

One of the weirdest reports I know of described a guy in a blind he set up over a ungulate carcass that was alledgedly killed by a sasquatch. Interestingly enough, he supposedly saw the creature come in, plugged it with a gun, and it ran off screaming. The story was related by Jim Hewkins, a retired Oregon biologist interested in fieldsign regarding sasquatch.

If that story is true, it is an example of what could be done potentially to observe them. I know of a man who had a blind so close to a mother grizzly nursing her cubs he was afraid that if he took a picture the click from the camera would put the sow on alert and he did not want her coming into his blind... surely a bad move. Another man in a blind in Asia looked over to see a tiger face looking in at him. Luckily he was in a location where tiger attack was VERY rare so it freaked and just took off. Can you imagine being in a tent and being roused only to see the tent unzipped and have a hand or face come in to SEE you ? Reports include that type of inquiry too.. Usually yelling abruptly ended the encounter.. but they seem to circle back in an hour if they are REALLY curious... bets ? ha ha

Edited by treeknocker

Guest vilnoori

Well you have to admit that bigfoot hunting and bear hunting probably have a lot in common, so its not surprising that bear hunting should be discussed. In Canada bows have a lot to offer. They are not as regulated as firearms. There are a lot more hunting areas (bow and shotgun only) with better choice in game, and better quality game, you get to hunt earlier than everyone else, and if you're good at it it is just as effective at close range. But you better be good at it. Many hunters go to bow because they're so good at hunting with a rifle that the extra challenge it presents is fun. I know it is old technology but so what. Another thing I like is that your kids are not as likely to be able to hurt themselves with it. It is not as handy to grab and shoot. It takes muscle to pull it, muscle the kids just don't have. So its safer to have in a house with kids I think. You can just hang it on the wall, no need to lock it away or have special storage for it, special travel permits and all that. And the same gear can be used for multiple types of different game, and even fish. And to practice I just set up a but in the back field, no need to have a membership at a rifle range. Anywayz.

IF you check the bowhunting forums, you might be surprised to read about sasQ reports in there too.. lots of accounts about unknown things or shadows or sounds. I know many of them can be explained by normal wildlife. But...not all of them.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic