Harrison Hot Springs Sasquatch Summit

Guest tirademan

Guest vilnoori

But why is BC gas more expensive than Prairie gas ? Same oil companies. Different....?

Anyway have a great time at the conference, if you are going. I think if I lived in Vancouver, I might fill my car with expensive BC gas and drive out and join all those that will be there. :D

Les

It's because of tax. Federal tax. Provincial tax. Even regional/city taxes. I hate taxes on gas and think they suck the life out of the economy. And we (Canadians) are the top supplier of oil and I think, gas, to the USA. We could be providing gas free to all our citizens we have so much of it. Makes me mad. lol Sorry for the rant.

Guest billgreen2010

Got more stickers made!

Tirademan

hey tiredman thats great artwork ill be sasquatch summit in spirit only but take alot photos video of this wonderful event buy alot bigfoot stuff meet people go to famous sasquatch sightings locations. to be continued keep me updated etc :)

March 9, 2011, 10:21 AM ET

Canada home page »

Canada gas prices higher than U.S.’ because of higher taxes

“Only $1.30 a gallon for gas? I couldn’t believe my eyes,†said the American tourist at Vancouver’s Granville Island Market the other day.

“Then I found out the truth… and I gagged!â€

Think gas prices are high in the U.S. right now? Come to Canada, where prices may LOOK a lot cheaper on gas-station signs — 1.30 — but are in reality much higher, and have been for years. Doing the math to convert prices is complicated.

The Toronto Globe and Mail reports that gas (occasionally called petrol here) recently hit 1.40 — gas is measured in litres in this metri-cized country — at a Vancouver station in suburban Richmond. Get out your calculator and that comes out to about $5.60 a U.S. gallon. Not cheap.

Plus, the Canadian dollar (loonie) is at an eight-year high right now — it’s worth more than a U.S. dollar — so that makes Canadian gas even more expensive now.

So the years-old advice to Americans travelling to Canada still applies: “Fill up your tank before you hit the border.†Canadian gas is still about $2 more per U.S. gallon than in the States.

That’s a big part of the reason you see smaller cars in Canada. And why many of the taxis in places like Vancouver are gas-sipping Priuses.

The high-gas-price paradox

So, why is gas so much more expensive in Canada, even though the country is sitting on the world’s second-largest oil reserves?

Mostly, because Canadians pay far more federal and provincial taxes at the pump. And not just for national health care, which seems (to me, anyway) a pretty good use of tax money.

Canadians pay about 33% in combined taxes on average on the price of fuel, and Americans pay about 11%, Canadian gas guru Preet Banarjee reported a while back. But that Canadian figure looks low (see below).

Libya jitters and the rising international cost per barrel of oil is part of the highest Canadian pump prices in three years, of course. Canada is not immune to that. But Canadians are used to paying higher taxes for just about everything than Americans. And it does get a lot of big trucks and SUV’s off Canadian roads, which makes driving easier in Canadian cities, I can tell you from personal experience.

A bit of history: High Canadian gas prices stayed that way even when the government took over part of the oil industry and founded Petro-Canada in the 1970′s. The government-run oil company slowly privatized and finally merged with Suncor in 2009, and Suncor now owns 60 percent of the oil company. But Petro-Canada stores and mini-marts still are part of the Canadian landscape.

Some of the most expensive gas in Canada tends to be in the west — where much of its oil is buried in the ground. The Vancouver Province reports that according to MJ Ervin & Associates’ most recent weekly survey of fuel prices in Canada, regular gas was averaging 127.6 cents a litre in Vancouver last week, the fifth-highest price in Canada after Labrador City (130.9), Timmins (128.9), Yellowknife (128.4) and Montreal (127.8).

Interestingly, though, the data shows Vancouver’s high prices are due almost exclusively to the high gas taxes in this city, including the 15 cents a litre which goes to TransLink. That’s Vancouver’s superb mass-transit system, which which vastly expanded for last year’s Olympics out to the city’s airport.

A separate ranking of gas prices before taxes reported in The Province puts Vancouver’s price at just 83.5 cents a litre, just a hair above the Canadian average of 83.1 and well behind cities like Saskatoon (89.2), Winnipeg (87.1) and Calgary (84.7). That means that about 40 percent of what Canadian motorists pay at the pump goes to taxes.

Adrian Erickson will be there. Those of us who live a gazillion miles away from BC will expect a full report next week from anyone that can go. :D

sorry if this question has been asked and answered, just started page 2 :)

Is this event being covered by any of the blogtalk radio shows?

What are the chances of Erikson spilling the beans?

suppose he wouldnt want to take the light off of JG.

Tirademan, i will echo what has been said by others of your poster - very well done :)

Can this be purched by those not attending the show? again sorry if already answered.

Guest grandcherokee

Myself and Thomas Steenburg just spent the entire morning driving around the Fraser Valley with my pick up full of files and castings belonging to Chris Murphy! :blob:

They were safely delivered to the Harrison Hotel while the event crew were still at sea on a ferry! :rolleyes:

Got a chance to look at the hall where the event is going to be held! Fantastic sunny day and the lake looked fantastic! -_-

What are the chances of Erikson spilling the beans?

Not sure, but anyone there will have the chance to rub elbows with him. Just sayin...

Guest billgreen2010

hey everyone i havent seen any mention of the sasquatch summit on internet news sites yet. anyone here at the event keep us updated to be continued....indeedy :)

Guest Lesmore

I would love to be in attendance at the Dr. Meldrum presentation. I have heard (second hand, I can't confirm)...that he maybe looking at the idea of using tracker dogs. I think if they were able to get a scent...BF could be found.

Any reports would be warmly received.

Guest vilnoori

Have fun everyone, I won't be able to make it out after all. Hope everyone has a fabulous time in spite of the cloudy weather. Make sure to walk down all the way to your left on the walkway around the lake and see the original hot springs. Congrats to John Green and yes we do expect a full report from you guys when you get back. Hugs, Vil

Edited by vilnoori

Guest billgreen2010

i just watched the whole sasquatch summit event on live stream it was AWESOME event A++++ john green & the researchers presatations were realy wonderful. watching it on livestream made me feel like realy there. to be continued ty bill g KEEP ON SQUATCHING :) :)

i just watched the whole sasquatch summit event on live stream it was AWESOME

Dang it. Didn't know it was streamed. Is this still viewable Bill?