Biped Or All Fours?

Guest mizzousquatchn

I've been sitting here with my bifocals on, sliding them up and down. trying to see the small print in these articles. Read most of them, and the general consensus seems to be it's a type of gorilla which I didn't think was discovered until 1925, so go figure.

BFF Patron

With the number of reports of Sasquatch in '4X4 mode' I would have to assume they are capable of moving on all fours. This would account for their longer arms and a 'tightrope' type gate when walking upright. Imagine the speed of an animal moving on all fours with the leg and arm power needed to support 500-1000lbs through the woods, up cliffs, and down slopes.

Guess that would explain the d9 dozer analogy coming through the woods pretty well:'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CatD9T.jpg

BFF Patron
What Quadruped has a foot like this?

jerrycrew19581.jpeg

The one you didn't get a picture of........of course!

Edited by bipedalist

The biggest issue/red flag I have with a quad theory is, that were it true, then we're dealing with more than one sub-species of something we haven't even proven to exist in the first place... and the fact that there's more than one 'type specimen' out there to be found, and ISN'T being documented, well that makes BF research look even less credible.

I'm not sure I follow that line of reasoning. How does a report of something going down on all fours as opposed to walking or running away make it two different species? (assuming it exists at all) <-----throwing that in there just to deflect skeptics, somewhat.

Because the nearly 7' talk, thin, long legged bi-ped I witnessed was not anatomically built to drop over and 'run'. It ran quite fast and well on it's legs. It's butt would have been as high or higher than it's head, and from all the tracks we've observed in the area, these are quite flat footed.

This creature was not built for quadrapedal movement.

Because the nearly 7' talk, thin, long legged bi-ped I witnessed was not anatomically built to drop over and 'run'. It ran quite fast and well on it's legs. It's butt would have been as high or higher than it's head, and from all the tracks we've observed in the area, these are quite flat footed.

Many a proponent of patty say that her arms are proportionatly longer than human ( intermeberal index). There is a correlation ( i think) with limb proportions of other nonhuman great apes and the habitats they inhabit. Shorter legs and longer arms would logicly be very good adaptations for both an aboreal life style mixed with mountainous terrain. The proportions actually allow a more forward center of gravity when propelling uphill. The midtarsal break would allow greater contact area of the foot for better traction as well as being more compliant on irregular substrate. The apparent ease at which I saw a chimpanzee can go straight up a limbless pine tree at the zoo was flat out impressive. It's like walking on flat ground to them.

Many a proponent of patty say that her arms are proportionatly longer than human ( intermeberal index). There is a correlation ( i think) with limb proportions of other nonhuman great apes and the habitats they inhabit. Shorter legs and longer arms would logicly be very good adaptations for both an aboreal life style mixed with mountainous terrain. The proportions actually allow a more forward center of gravity when propelling uphill. The midtarsal break would allow greater contact area of the foot for better traction as well as being more compliant on irregular substrate. The apparent ease at which I saw a chimpanzee can go straight up a limbless pine tree at the zoo was flat out impressive. It's like walking on flat ground to them.

SY,

An IM index >1 is found in primates using bracheal locomotion (e.g., orangutans swinging through the trees). An IM index <1 is found in primates using bipedal locomotion (e.g, humans walking). An IM index of about 1 is found in primates using quadrapedal locomotion (e.g., gorillas knuckle walking). Bigfoot appears to have an IM not far from 1, which supports those who claim to have seen one in a quadrapedal posture.

The 7' skinny thing saw running upright in the Indiana woods may have been one of those Hoosier b-ball players.

Pteronarcyd

• 1 month later...

How did the thing run? Did it look like a human running?

It is hard for me to visualize a seven foot creature running in any way other than humans, because there are no 7 foot bipedal animals that run.

did it stumble?

was it in the woods, or along a road? Along the road would be easier to run at night.

Was this in Michigan? I saw a deer hunter in a Ghillie suit last fall, after dusk, walking along on a two track, on state land east of the Muskegon River, and 1 mile north of 61, he had a huge beard, when I first saw him, I thought it was frikkin Bigfoot, and when I pulled closer to him realized he was a bow hunter, and he was taller than me, and I'm 6'6".

Edited by Drew

In the meantime, if the PGF shows an actual bigfoot, I see no similar body structure to a cheetah or any other 4x4 critter.

RayG

I think if a biped is choosing his preferred most efficient mode of locomotion? Obviously he is going to stand on two feet and run.

I can attest that while cougar hunting yesterday in a cedar crick bottom, I was on my hands and knees ALOT, but that was not by choice.

But I could see where longer arms and shorter legs (than what I have) might help going on all fours. But it's still not going to be as efficient in my mind at least.

Do they use 4x4 ? Yes.

Do they all? I do not know. I suspect it is possible that some do it regularly and others infrequently or not at all.

What do they use it for? I think darkwing summed it up well. I know of many cases and even more suspected cases of them

doing this. In one private report a bear came out of the woods and then stood up at the edge of the other side of the road after crossing it

and walked into the woods after standing up. One of the observers is still so shaken at the creature she saw (when the vehicle she drove pulled up nearly alongside of this individual) she does not venture into the woods ever.

I think its used for cover, and have received three more obs. of them on four legs in the past year. Some think they are faster on all fours. I think speed varies as does the likelihood/capability of dropping down. I do not drop or jump the way I used to...

I think this 4x4 mode is just becoming part of the Bigfoot story. So it is popping up in sighting reports now.

If you remember there are other things that have become part of many sighting reports, that weren't around before.

I'm thinking of: Swaying side to side, 4x4 Mode, White Bigfoots

I think this 4x4 mode is just becoming part of the Bigfoot story. So it is popping up in sighting reports now.

If you remember there are other things that have become part of many sighting reports, that weren't around before.

I'm thinking of: Swaying side to side, 4x4 Mode, White Bigfoots

I'm not all that afraid of white BF accounts:

albinomoose.jpeg

Albinos certainly occur in nature.

But I'm not all that convinced that a biped would move faster on all fours than on two legs.

• masterbarber locked this topic