Whistle's?

Guest ga sasquath

Guest peter

Birds whistle, splitting hairs here........

And yes, they will imitate most any bird:

In my observations, I have heard them imitate crows at night, adulterated dove calls initiated by me and imitated by them (that weren't regular dove believe me), and finally, a whipporwill call that I initiated that they could imitate with high fidelity (and no whipporwill worth their salt would ever be accused of making, lol).

how about a turkey yelp at night?

I have heard whistles, and recorded whistle like vocals. They are within the human range, but so are many unknown vocals that I don't believe humans are responsible for, because of the nature and volume of the vocal. I've heard a recording of a whistle in the northeast forest, that sounded just like a bird from tropical Asia. I'm at a loss for what kind of person would walk around the woods doing this, although it is always possible.

I've compared audio with BP, and found we have recorded almost identical percussive sounds in the field, in both NY and N. Carolina. I've also heard his recording of a whippoorwill like vocal... that was obviously an attempt by something or someone to imitate the actual bird.

Does this offer any proof of sasquatch being the culprit, to anyone here ?...No. Does it prove that interesting things worth further discussion and investigation, are happening in more than one location ?... Yes.

It's worth discussing it here, on occasion.. for the benefit of those just asking questions, and those that might of heard similar strangeness, that are just looking for answers.

edited for typos and changes

Edited by imonacan

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2008/12/16/bonnie-the-orangutan-is-the-first-whistling-primate/

I found this while trying to find a story I had read years ago about another orangutan who had learned to whistle. I read this many years ago and now they're claiming this one is the first to learn how.

Anyhow it does imply that bigfoot may have the capacity to whistle just like us. I do not take it for granted that they really do or that they imitate birds. Without some visual confirmation of this sort of activity it's all just hypothetical. :D

how about a turkey yelp at night?

For what its worth, sometimes turkeys will let out a yelp or call while roosted at night.ive heard it occasionally when walking out in the dark after hanging around a while from locating roosted birds for the next mornings hunt.

however,in "tune" with the op, ive heard a low one note whistle immediately followed by a single knock/ pop sound , then an identical sound combo from further away. not exactly sure what that was.

BFF Patron
....how about a turkey yelp at night?

Have you had a suspicion about an 800 lb. nocturnal turkey caller?

I'd say the nocturnal talking turkey dream therapists would be about as lonely as the Maytag Repairman.....

Also, I'd say it would be rare if they 'did not' imitate turkey..... but it prob. would be a cruel thing to do to a turkey hunter

(even in the daytime) and then pop up out of the grass and walk away......

Re: the single low note whistle and pop or knock? How powerful were they? When you say low note do you mean

not a piercing high frequency like the upper end on a "bobwhite call"?

Guest peter
For what its worth, sometimes turkeys will let out a yelp or call while roosted at night.ive heard it occasionally when walking out in the dark after hanging around a while from locating roosted birds for the next mornings hunt
yeah I've heard the tree talk but what I was inquiring about was a lone yelper on the ground moving through the woods at 11:30 PM I believe try to locate a flock roosted (I heard them also) there was also something making a strange one note dog like howl that was moving in relation with the yelper. To my knowledge birds don’t see at night so I didn’t think one would moving about but maybe ? it’s all just noise and speculation. FWIW the howl sounded like a sick Beagle and the yelper sounded like me having a bad day with the slate ;) Edited by peter

Guest Jodie

Well never mind Rue's whistle, evidently the mocking birds around here have picked it up.....heard one call those notes a couple of days ago in the afternoon.

BFF Patron

And a great reason why I'm glad I don't have mockingbirds in this locale.......

but I did have some form of Coopers Hawk or Sharp-shinned hawk just buzz a grey squirrel and give it pause

to have it's life flash before it's little eyes real fast..... second time I've seen that fly-by in a month. :crazypilot:

Guest Jodie

You don't have Mockingbird's, are you sure about that? They are supposed to be everywhere except the northwestern part of the US.

BFF Patron

They don't penetrate into the density of the woods here. Very sure about that. Not sure why but it could be the healthy crow, blue jay and hawk population resident here. Doesn't stop the cardinals and other song birds...... robins generally avoid this density here as well.

Re: a new tune, you could try the X-Files theme song.

Edited by bipedalist

Have you had a suspicion about an 800 lb. nocturnal turkey caller?....

....Re: the single low note whistle and pop or knock? How powerful were they? When you say low note do you mean not a piercing high frequency like the upper end on a "bobwhite call"?

no, bipedalist,lol, no suspicions on my part about a 800 lb nocturnal turkey caller,simply replying to peters post about the yelp.

seems he heard yelping at night from ground level, which does seem out of the ordinary for turkeys.

re the "whistle/pop", the whistle was not a powerful sound,by low i mean not high pitched nor very loud.

but it was loud enough to be heard clearly, perhaps 100 yds or so away & immediately followed by the pop/knock sound .

the second identical "reply" was 2-3 seconds later from further off.i was in a tree stand , mid morning & heard this in a block of woods behind my stand. just seemed odd, thats all.couldve been trespassers i suppose.

yeah I've heard the tree talk but what I was inquiring about was a lone yelper on the ground moving through the woods at 11:30 PM I believe try to locate a flock roosted (I heard them also) there was also something making a strange one note dog like howl that was moving in relation with the yelper. To my knowledge birds don’t see at night so I didn’t think one would moving about but maybe ? it’s all just noise and speculation. FWIW the howl sounded like a sick Beagle and the yelper sounded like me having a bad day with the slate ;)

sorry peter, i must've missed the part about being on ground level at 1130. that is interesting, especially combined with the other sounds.

the only turkey situation i could imagine there would be perhaps a turkey got wounded by a coyote,fox, bad shot hunter etc, then couldnt fly up to roost & was looking for the flock, but the beagle sound? .......idk.

BFF Patron

no, bipedalist,lol, no suspicions on my part about a 800 lb nocturnal turkey caller,simply replying to peters post about the yelp.

seems he heard yelping at night from ground level, which does seem out of the ordinary for turkeys.

Actually slick, I had addressed the 800 lb. comment to Peter since it seems he may have been asking if the ground turkey could have been a heavy imitator? Re: a wounded sick or partially attacked or recovered bird, yes I can see that as being a possibility.

Yes,sorry about that bipedalist, I should probably stop logging in when I'm tired.

Long days make me less trick & slick. :)

Also makes me wish i had picked a different handle,lol.