Minnesota / Ontario Trackway + 3 Mile Snow Trail Video Clips(Mulder)

Guest BFSleuth

Guest BFSleuth

Since it seems that it is becoming more difficult for our members to find the original report buried in the history of FB/FB here are 4 pictures of the trackway.

post-1142-0-73136300-1333928177_thumb.jp

post-1142-0-94989300-1333928186_thumb.jp

post-1142-0-34392800-1333928195_thumb.jp

post-1142-0-33835000-1333928206_thumb.jp

Guest BFSleuth

I think we should entertain alternate theories of what could make this trackway, based on what the pictures and video of the trackway tell us. However, when I look at the pictures and the video (sorry, can't seem to find a way to post the video here), the possibility of a small animal like a rabbit making these tracks seems far fetched.

Very vertical entry and exit with deep post holes, barefoot, prominent big toe, slight straddling instead of pure in line, and little or no drag between steps that are at times short and at times much longer than a human can manage in the deep snow.

Guest BFSleuth

The researchers thought the tracks were 3-6 days old with a light dusting of snow on top (hence the toes in the bottom of the tracks are partially covered unless brushed out).

The tracks are 18" long and 8" wide.

Fresh twisted branches along the trackway were observed (approximately 100 breaks along the 3 mile trackway).

Side stepping along fallen logs (for the Magic Bunny he would have to hop sideways repeatedly). Crossing fallen logs is something I do very frequently when bushwacking, it saves time and energy.

Starting at 10:05 in the video shows small animal tracks crossing the trackway, and they are on the surface. By the sounds of the videographers walking it almost seems like the snow has been very cold, set up firmly with perhaps a bit of a crust on top. Small animals would be supported on top of the snow, not plunge into it.

Starting at 12:38 the video shows five toes, with the big toe slightly parted away from the other toes. At 13:08 another track showing toes, but the big toe is close to the other toes.

14:00 - side stepping up hill. This is a common technique for anyone familiar with climbing steep snow, but highly improbable for a small animal to hop sideways up a hill.

17:15 - it apparently hunkered down, leaving a large depression, with handprints.... (or the Magic Bunny was hopping in place to the beat of the music... :) )

Here is the video from YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH1CauiLbYY

Guest COGrizzly

The pics of tracks seem very close to the ones I saw in 2004.

At that time, I invested a lot of time trying to figure it out. A "stotting" animal such as a mule deer was the closest. And I saw one doing such, in the snow, going up hill and took a picture. Then I posted that pic on the BFF1.0. Asked what folks thought it was before telling them what it was. Great little experiment.

Have yet to see a deer stot in a bipedal fashion. Almost exclusively straight. Seems "Sas" tracks are somewher between.

Plus, no snow fluff in between.

Guest BFSleuth

I was just doing a little YT research regarding the train issue, and came across this video. Note the trackway crossing the train's path at about 0:22 ...

Guest poignant

Two points:

1. Side stepping with all the branches around seems like a good way to save energy and protect the genitalia.

2. The trail (trekking forwards) was lost in the large diagonal log but later found to continue up the knoll, suggests that BF will climb a tree to get on to a higher 'catwalk' in order to break the trackway.

Guest BFSleuth

The interesting thing about the pictures of the tracks is that it suggests that the BF is entering and exiting each track with pointed toes. Notice how the toes in some of the tracks are forward of the main post hole, like the toes are gripping into the snow ahead of the hole, but don't come straight up to break through the snow crust on the way out. This would be a good way to conserve energy and deaden the sound of crunching snow.

As a side note, not having ever worked with casting prints, is there any way to cast prints in snow like this?

Sulpher, I would think. Sheriff Closner used it to cast prints in snow in Skamania County in the winter of '68-'69.

It's most likley some animal hopping.

No way in hades that's a 'hopping animal' trackway. The holes are too "punched" w/o the tell-tale "sliding effect that such a hopping movement would create, and no hopping animal I know of would be heavy enough to make tracks that deep in any event..

Add on top of that the fact that the trackway clearly indicates bipedal motion, and your hopping animal theory goes right out the window.

I as a bipedal animal would never consider stepping on top of a log in the snow, I'm assuming Bigfoot might be smarter than me and has a little more experience walking in the snow!

People who DO have experience in walking in that sort of terrain (snow or otherwise) have said that that is EXCACTLY what they'd do. Downed trees are sometimes the easiest way to move about in that sort of environment.

Another case of someone seeing what they want to see as opposed to what is it most likley!

Nope, but your post is another case of speculating Skeptics proposing clearly nonsensical theories that fly in the face of facts to hand.

My other issue is the tracks don't appear that fresh so some detail has been lost.

It snowed after the track maker passed through.. nothing unusual about that.

The effort required would be even greater for a biped in those conditions making it stranger that biggie didn't get messy or tired.

Not when you consider that this creature lives in that environment 24/7/365 and is thus VERY fit as a general rule.

Also we are talking about a very LARGE creature with a stride much larger than a person's. Look at the one part of the video where the cameraman tries to copy the step up onto the log and can't even get his leg up high enough. I'd guess the track maker was easily 9'+ to have such a stride.

Rabbit being pursued from the air there's your motivation and he's finally scooped up for dinner, walla tracks disappear,

The trackway observed in the video does not have the signs of a fleeing rabbit, which would be much more kicked up/sideways snow, many rapid changes in direction (zig-zagging), etc.

And that's before we deal with the fact that no rabbit would be heavy enough to make a track that deep in the snow to begin with.

Once again, a little reason and logic shows Skeptical speculation to be baseless.

.... and those tracks resemble the trackway that was photographed and videotaped.... how?

They don't. As ususal our Skeptical bretheren refuse the most reasonable explanation in favor of whatever WAG they can come up with.

Dudlow,

Im sorry when did Bigfoot become a fact?

All conjecture and opinion just like mine from all the sources you quoted, is it not possible their all wrong?

Until we have a specimen to study I will stick by my statement until proven wrong ;)

Let's all play a game...how many logical fallacies can we spot in this Cervelo post?

• 3 weeks later...
Doc Holliday

just heard of this the other day .

i usually cringe when i see FB/FB involved ,lol & how everything "confirms"....but this is interesting.

Guest BFSleuth

I agree that FB/FB, especially in the early days, has been more than a tad "over the top" with his analysis and wish he would dial it back a few notches in that regard. He has also seemed to become rather entrenched with his confirmation of some videos after they have been shown to very likely be hoaxes or misidentifications.

However, I've also noticed improvement with his presentations from his earliest days and some of the things he is starting to present are highly interesting, such as this trackway and especially some of his interviews. His interview with BFF member salubrious regarding the Colorado Sightings () was really good. I think part of his improving style has to do with involvement with some people that have helped guide him to adjusting what he is doing, especially after being involved with the filming of a documentary about BF researchers last year.

I also think that the magic bunny theory has pretty well been laid to rest regarding this trackway. I also hope someday we will be able to see more of the raw video and still photos taken of this remarkable trackway.

Thanks for weighing in Cervelo. I'm glad someone on the skeptic side has some input. It seems that the better the evidence (ie the more difficult to hoax) the less skeptics have to say about it.

I would tend to disagree with the rabbit idea, however. Seems unlikely a rabbit would travel that far and the tracks look quite different from any I've seen while skiing. Perhaps the rabbit was laden with...coconuts? :~)

norseman
BFF Donor

The interesting thing about the pictures of the tracks is that it suggests that the BF is entering and exiting each track with pointed toes. Notice how the toes in some of the tracks are forward of the main post hole, like the toes are gripping into the snow ahead of the hole, but don't come straight up to break through the snow crust on the way out. This would be a good way to conserve energy and deaden the sound of crunching snow.

Interestingly this is how my USMC RECON buddy teaches people to walk through the woods quietly..........toes down.

• gigantor unlocked this topic