Sign in to follow this  

A New Look At The Story Of Bob H

Question.

Does anyone know if anyone (at this time or before) was making (bigfoot costumes) out of Bear hides? I know Ray Wallace is said to have made a suit out of bear hide, but if memory serves that was later...

Bill

Melissa:

In the 30's 40's, 50's and 60's, in creature costume making, using real fur was common because the technology of artificial fur was rather primitive and the color tonalities were more likely one single color, so purely solid color that the lack of color variation (plus the plastic sheen) made fake furs pretty obvious. So real fur hides were used often and rather creatively.

Like, in the classic 1960 (or thereabouts) "The Time Machine", the morlocks white strips of fur on their shoulders and arms were real hair hide strips from Black & White Colobus monkeys, imported from Africa.

So bear hides would have been a common and reasonably easy to get fur type (given the number hunted for rugs).

Bill

Maybe I should have been more specific, I'm sorry Bill. Do we know of any names other than Ray Wallace that have had costumes said to have been made of bear hides? Or admitted hoaxers who said they made the costume out of bear hides - back during this time?