Sign in to follow this  

Why Are Sightings So Scary?

Ahh, ok, was not sure. We go to Northern Ontario every other year or so, to fish, will let you know well in advance next time, just in case.

salubrious

Cervelo, if I understand right most animals like a bear or cougar will stalk you from the rear. One of the classic BF encounter scenarios is that the will stalk you from the side, making enough noise to keep you on edge. Have you had other animals stalk you from the side?

Just wondering about this.

For those who go out in search of, and those who have seen, heard, or smelled; what is it that is so scary?

For me, some of the time....its being in pitch black in an area that I'm not familar with. I've been driving down a country road many a time and see some deer dash across the road in front of me...perhaps 50-75 yards; then comes that familiar smell......."big stink"! I've this happen several times, but never at night. Its always been early afternoon.

Cervelo

Cervelo, if I understand right most animals like a bear or cougar will stalk you from the rear. One of the classic BF encounter scenarios is that the will stalk you from the side, making enough noise to keep you on edge. Have you had other animals stalk you from the side?

I've never seen what's stalking me and would only classify one of three incidents as stalking.

I'm assuming if I've ever been stalked by a cougar I would not be here or have confirmed its was a cougar in a bad way.

A bear I think highly unlikley on the east coast, my thinking being only a bear with cubs would attack and it wouldn't be quiet affair.

Whatever I think I heard in the Dismal Swamp recently could have easily been something fleeing from me then my imagination keeping it real with the help of the wind and the fact that I was stressed out about where I was and how long it was going to take me to get back.

Getting stuck in the Sawmp at nite might be fun but having the Ranger waiting for you at your vehicle with a ticket not so much.

Now my bug out from a camp site in Shenadoah NP was prompted by my dogs reaction and my own alarm bells that something had followed my dog back to camp and was not leaving, even with my own bluff charge it stood its ground and I choose prudence over valor LOL, I think that could have been some sort of cat or maybe yote.

I never heard or saw it (it had rained) but my dog would watch it move around with much interest but not go after it, which is highly unusual for her.

My only true stalking incident IMO involved something on two feet circiing my position 21/2 times while hunting before I most definitely ran as fast as my 17yr old legs would carry me.

I had shouted out to whatever it was that I was there and hunting(I gotta gun), the walker stopped and then countinued just out of sight the whole time.

I will say it was definetly on two legs and the cadance was what I would consider human, but I had no interest in meeting whoever it was.

So I'm basically just a big frady cat when it really gets down to it but you do have to trust your instincts when out and about.

But those are my three incidents out of the hundreds if not thousands of hours I've spent in the woods in my lifetime and all could be attributed to an over active imagination ;)

Guest BastetsCat

I have been paced by a mountain lion from the side.... I was on my horse and we basically came over a hill and jumped it. Lookd like a golden retriever at first. I had to jump off of my horse because she was going nuts, spinning and crow hopping trying to brush me off into the cedars. In my thinking it was better to have to walk than be knocked out. The wind shifted and she calmed down, so I got back on and we went down the trail about a hundred feet and there it was in the ditch looking up at us. I screamed at it and raised an arm up the lion turned and RAN up the ravine. We kept going. Well the point where we saw it was at the top of the trail in the dish of a U shaped area. We came across and skirted the Western slope of the U. I looked over when I saw something moving and there was the cat on the Eastern slope of the U. It was pacing us instead of following us. I had to barge into someones yard to get away from having to get close to the cat again. Once I told them what was going on they were okay with it for the most part. Still had to walk the road at the end of the Eastern Slope where the cat was and my horse was all upset about that, we danced and shuffled all the way past.

So they can stalk to the side.

DWA

Well the difference cuts to intent.

A predator doesn't want you to notice; a sasquatch does. Whatever angle facilitaties the intent.

salubrious

So they can stalk to the side.

Thanks for that. Sounds scary.

CMBigfoot

I saw a cougar cross in front of me when I was driving a mountain road at night. So I grabbed my FLIR and stood outside in the dark for a minute and a half waiting for the FLIR to power up. When I looked through the view finder the cougar was right there about 20 feet away. I walked towards it and it took off down the hill. I kept following it, then I saw there were two cougars together going down the hill.

Here's what I got recorded with the FLIR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNhzu75NnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bSrPVYYiUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-KVd-8lLHo

Maggie

I am not certain just WHAT I have found so frightening about it because AFTER I am just fine.(shrug)

For me, it would depend on when it happened. 100 yards during the day wouldn't bring out the same reaction as feet or inches in the dark. Also, kudos to Cervelo. Being a, "Frady Cat" and doing it anyway is something most people would steer clear of. Under different circumstances that could be considered a hero.

Edited by Gunz and Bunnies

Sign in to follow this