Bigfoot And Trains

Guest BFSleuth

Stan, it sounds like the witness that was with you had postulated they "might" be riding trains based on his observation of them hanging out near train tracks in certain locations, "loitering" if you will. Seems like it would be worthwhile to set up some game cameras looking down the track at those locations and hope to catch one climbing aboard.

Guest bsruther

Every time a train goes by the camera will trigger, numerous times, even if it isn't pointed at the train. I've had cars trigger mine from over a thousand feet and I've had things trigger it that were outside the periphery.

Guest BFSleuth

I'm thinking in terms of a camera set up that would be triggered by a passing train only and continuously video until the train leaves.

BFF Patron

bp, Burma-Shave may be too ancient for many younger members to remember.

Priceless.

Real gems below

Good one... teehee. I meant to imply a bf seeing a hobo do it from a distance. My fault. But yeah, I can only imagine what would happen if a hobo jumping a train found a new friend already on board.

All fun and games aside though, I think it's worth looking into.

Hey wasn't responding to your post WesT, just go a wild hair of an idea that's all: here's a bonus just for you BFS from the old codger, lol................ these ditties can be found here

Drive like A railroad engineer

Take it easy When the road's

Not clear

Burma-Shave 1939

Guys whose eyes

Are in their backs

Get halos crossing

Railroad tracks

Burma-Shave 1940

Remember this saying

And you'll be spared,

Trains don't whistle

Because they're scared.

Burma-Shave 1941

This was once an

Abandoned railroad bed

That became Pennsylvania's

Turnpike instead Burma-Shave

1941 local contribution

Trains don't wander

All over the map

For no one sits

On the engineer's lap

Burma-Shave 1941

He saw The train

And tried to duck it

Kicked first the gas

And then the bucket Burma-Shave 1949

He tried To cross As fast train neared

Death didn't draft him He volunteered

Burma-Shave 1950

The hobo Lets his whiskers sprout

It's trains — not girls That he takes out

Burma-Shave 1951

Train approaching

Whistle squealing

Pause! Avoid that

Rundown feeling!

Burma-Shave 1951

Train wrecks few

Reason clear

Fireman

Never hugs

Engineer

Burma-Shave 1951

I have a few years experience with off the shoulder video. I would set the focal length to the distance to the subject straight on, then set the zoom with a middle distance shot. Practice on picking up the space where the cars join and swing with the train, zip back and do it again. Try to be in a position where the background is tree covered so you aren't shooting against a bright background. Sun to your back if possible.

I would want a partner several cars ahead of my position t give me a heads up through a radio that I had something coming. That way you don't have a blur going by but several seconds of focused video moving along with the subject. The focus will be optimal for when it's straight in front of you.

This would work best with a professional video camera that rests on your shoulder.

Just some thoughts on how I might go about it. I am assuming that you won't get many tries as the attention usually runs the subjects off in my experience.

Guest BFSleuth

indiefoot, I get what you are saying. I'm thinking of a particular location that would allow use of a telephoto lens where you would have a long time to view in between particular cars without having to pan so quickly. This would allow for up to 10 seconds of viewing time if you catch it early and pan with it, depending on speed of the train (and where I'm thinking would be a spot they are going around a tight turn and need to slow down). The background is trees and a rock cliff.

Could also use a pickup truck on a parallel road. Tripod or a steadycam system. Same thing, have a spotter give you a heads up.

Guest Jodie

Wouldn't it just be easier to ask the folks manning the satellites for google earth to give this section of track extra time? I wonder how much that costs?

Edited by Jodie

Heck Biped, they allegedly come into suburban america, peek in windows, lick vehicles, take road kill out of the back of running trucks....

As far as grabbing road kill is concerned, they {squatches} are hungry.

As far as the 'peeking' thing goes, I think they are also very curious, which IIRC is also a trait shared by {at least some of} the other 'great apes'....

Edited by Kite-Squatch

Hey wasn't responding to your post WesT, just go a wild hair of an idea that's all

Ah, I see. lol @me. Sheesh, getting old sucks. But I'm glad my post inspired a youthful wild hair. I enjoyed it and this old codjer got a good laugh out of it.

Hairy people riding on trains doesn't even shock me. What does shock me is, in broad daylight. My sis and bro had one jump over their car in 1978 and so we decided that cars didn't scare them at all. However, it was about 6pm November and dark out.

Stan I hope you get a video of one actually hopping a train. :fan:

Guest BFSleuth

I agree, Sunflower. A sight to behold.

I have relatives that work the railroad. I'm paying them a visit this weekend.

This thread has my noodle churning. I'm wondering that if this is true, whether the behavior might be widespread. I can see them hopping a train, for example on the west side of the Cascades to get a quick ride to the east side. Heck, many's the time I leave pouring rain on the west side to emerge in warm sunshine on the east side. We make use of transportation, they make use of transportation. Possibly they watched hobos jumping trains moving out of train yards. Hobos wouldn't be able to jump a train if it got much more than 15-20mph. I bet a BF could wait much farther away from the rail yard and catch a train moving more like 30-35 mph. So that makes a difference where you hang out and hide, waiting for the train. They could hang out miles away from a train yard, maybe even out on the open track if the train has to take a corner (like the one I'm thinking about...).

Guest Peter O.

I think I will have to check the back seat everytime I get into the car now. Wow!

I think that's Horror Movie Rule #2.

Seriously, though, maybe asking the company for permission to put a camera on the back of one of their trains? If someone had connections in the biz and a very large CompactFlash card, i.e.