Dismal Swamp Trip 4/8/2012

Guest Cervelo

Guest Cervelo

Kite,

It gets even better!

While I was googling around last nite, I came upon a story about a WWII plane crash that occurred in swamp, when they went looking and found the plane, survivors, they discovered what appeared to be a Chinese junk!

Would love to find out how much that one is true!

BFF Patron

http://www.dtic.mil/...oc?AD=ADA247637

Starting about page 60 this document goes into reasons overflights above NWR in general would be controlled...... I'm quite certain like Kite-Squatch that it has to be partly due to management of Migratory birds, refuge wildlife and visitor enjoyment.

Virginia Beach re: Back Bay NWR apparently has agreements with Oceania NAS (Navy) and others to limit overflights. Although I see that NWR will do unmanned aerial surveys of whooping cranes and such so apparently it is not banned at all times evidently in some locales anyway.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest wudewasa

Yeah, I saw that movie, and found it just reinforcing the mainstream American stereotype that maybe there are bands of natives that avoided technology and lived in romantic harmony with the land, hidden from the evil industrialized society that seeks to destroy them. Kinda like the cartoon "Ferngully."

Go to the Amazon, they still have uncontacted tribes there.

Guest Cervelo

W,

All I'm asking is do not hijack,derail or interject some veiled politico opinion in my thread, we most likley agree on that subject but that ain't what this threads about if youve got something to say about DS or even my sloppy camera work/ commentary, your more than welcome to take your best shot :)

Edited by Cervelo
Rule 1A

Guest BFSleuth

I wonder if there is any evidence of a hurricane around that period of time that could push a boat into the swamp from storm surge? I've never heard of any ancient Chinese shipping getting into the Atlantic, but there seems to be evidence they got as far as Africa.

Sleuth, it has been 'speculated' over the years that some of the great ancient cultures - Phoenicians, Egyptians, or Chinese - might have had their ocean-going {exploration fleets<?>} arrive @ some parts of the 'new world', but these events occurred late in the {spans<?>} of those cultures, so there was no solid long-term historical impact.

I've got a bit more info in a book I have, written by a man who sailed a catamaran sailboat from the U.K. to Florida {USA} back in the 1990's. If I can find the passage in the book, I'll post some more info here.

{Sorry I'm "rambling" - it's past 1AM here & I'm tuckered out.}

Guest Cervelo

The "theroy" is that there was a small settlement of chinese peoples on the east coast based on some rock houses that seem to be that style of construction.

• 1 month later...

Sleuth, it has been 'speculated' over the years that some of the great ancient cultures - Phoenicians, Egyptians, or Chinese - might have had their ocean-going {exploration fleets<?>} arrive @ some parts of the 'new world', but these events occurred late in the {spans<?>} of those cultures, so there was no solid long-term historical impact.

I've lived 10 min from the DS for 25 years now, never seen a gator or signs of one (grew up in Fl so I know what nests, tracks and tail drags look like). Never heard any of my life-long resident buddies talk of one either.

Edited by BFSleuth
Religious content removed

• 7 months later...
Guest Lorihjf

This place has got it hooks in me for a whole host of reasons, what animal would be disturbed by playback?

When I read that a couple of years ago thats what peaked my interest, its definately a place where the more I learn the less I know!

I had a local tell me in a discussion about the swamp (no Bigfoot talk) "there could be anything in there....every seen the movie Last of the Dogmen?"

Yes...One of my favorites. Funny how recently was reading of a BF capture back in the day. They named him "JackO".. and then from Last of the Dogmen...."cause his eyes were big and wide like a Jack-o-lantern". Also it/he was found by RR workers and later escaped...interesting coincidence or stolen story?

Lori

Edited by Lorihjf

I've lived 10 min from the DS for 25 years now, never seen a gator or signs of one (grew up in Fl so I know what nests, tracks and tail drags look like). Never heard any of my life-long resident buddies talk of one either.

Thas, are you on the VA or NC side of the state line? {Just curious.}

I have lived in the Elizabeth City area since 1995, & the few references I have read about gators were sightings, swimming somewhere in the Dismal Swamp Canal {IIRC}.

Lorihjf:

There's a story I've read about the supposed capture - in or around the Great Dismal Swamp - of 'something' nicknamed the “Dismal Swamp Freakâ€, either in the late 19th or early 20th century. IIRC, it eventually starved to death after being captured.

It is in a book - one of three volumes total - about strange stories in North Carolina. The author is named Daniel Barefoot {IIRC}, & if anyone is curious I can pass along more info about the book. {It is @ home, I am @ work now.} I actually emailed the author two or three years ago, but I have had computer problems since then & *may* have lost the email.