Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

Guest OntarioSquatch

Hello. What are your opinions on the story of Albert Ostman? Apparently he was kidnapped by a Saquatch while in a sleeping bag back in 1924 and didn't speak of it until 1957.

He never changed his story, and his description of the BFs was accurate. It probably happened. There are other reports of this happening.

Another view - Ostman's story was a steaming pile of . . .

We've got a thread on this somewhere that I'm sure you could find using the search function OntarioSquatch. Have fun!

Guest OntarioSquatch

I tried searching for a topic about him, but couldn't find any. I found his story pretty funny. He claimed some interesting stuff. But then again most hoaxers do too. The story was worth a read though.

Guest Lone Squatcher

I know John Green, I have spoken to him many times and I've even been to his house in Harrison BC. John actually interviewed Albert at great lenghts and if John says Albert was telling the truth, Then, Albert was telling the truth.

SSR Team

Here we go.

http://bigfootforums...h__1#entry83526

My bet is that some of this story was exaggerated, but by no means all of it.

To give the details he gave, in 1957, bearing in mind what life was like back then and the lack of exposure to lots of things, i don't believe he made this story up out of thin air.

This is obviously pre PGF too so that couldn't have influenced it in any way.

Edited by BobbyO

Guest BFSleuth

At that point in time the BF phenomenon wasn't extant. However, the the concept of the Abominable Snowman was popularized in the early 1950's. You are correct about the details of Ostman's account containing a number of details about BF that would have been difficult for someone to have known at the time. While it is an incredible story, it has elements of truth that are hard to ignore.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Yeah precisely. Lots of people can make up story's like that these days, but not so much back 55 years ago.

Guest ajciani

Ostman's tale is interesting. The bigfoot must have carried him some distance, because he basically went from the head of Toba Inlet, around Powell Lake and Jervis Inlet, to come out at Salmon Inlet.

He must have been a guest somewhere between Malibu and Upper Squamish. From his description of his exodus, maybe near 49.963 N, 123.522 W.

The details are intriguing. He did not claim they were apes. He said they were hairy, naked, big people. They apparently had a language, and could even weave. They ate roots and nuts and such.

The description of the acute nicotine poisoning was also correct. Especially the approximate 5 minutes to onset and the excessive thirst (probably trying to put his throat out). BTW, the bigfoot probably died. A full tin of snuff would have contained the lower end of what was required to kill him with acute nicotine poisoning.

The axe is probably still embedded in the tree where Ostman left it. My guess would be near 50.464 N, 124.826 W.

The tins and scoops are probably still near where he was held.

SSR Team

Ostman's tale is interesting. The bigfoot must have carried him some distance, because he basically went from the head of Toba Inlet, around Powell Lake and Jervis Inlet, to come out at Salmon Inlet.

He must have been a guest somewhere between Malibu and Upper Squamish. From his description of his exodus, maybe near 49.963 N, 123.522 W.

I think we're on the same lines Mr C..

The thread i linked a couple of posts up has some pretty decent info on locations.

==

I personally think the Guy got his locations mixed up, but if he says he made his way up the Toba then we'd have to assume he did..

Assuming this is true however,, i don't believe that he could be sure of being taken 25 Miles North/North East of the Toba by a Sasquatch ( he actually said 10 Miles in what i read ), especially with, as you pointed out, him coming out down by the Sechelt Inlet.

That would say to me that he got taken South/South East instead, it would also mean that Mt Baker would have been more likely with regards to visibility.

Anyway's, he believed that he had made 10 Miles or so from the head of the Toba Inlet in a North/North East direction when he first noticed disturbances..

He said he was awake for around about 3 hours inside the Sleeping Bag until they reached their destination & was asleep when he was picked up, speed would be unknown but was " going at a trot for a long time "..

He actually said he was awakened when he was picked up but half aseep, then said he had " no idea when it started as i was asleep when he picked me up "..

On his " escape " he made 3 miles in " record time " & then headed West emerging 2 days later on the Salmon Arm of Sechelt Inlet..

He simply must have headed South/South East whilst in the Sleeping Bag, towards the Sechelt Inlet but on the East side of the Jervis Inlet..

The distance from Ostman's alleged Camp which is inclusive of the 10 Miles North East he thought he made from landing at the head of the Toba, to the middle of the Salmon Arm is around 60 Miles..

If we are to assume that Ostman was taken South by the Sasquatch, then in 3 hours the Sasquatch would need to have been going at a pace of around 15 Miles per hour on average for those 3 hours or so that he was aware he was being transported, to be there or thereabouts & within the time & distances..

Who knows how quick a Sasquatch would travel " on level ground and was going at a trot for a long time "...

That's just a rough outline anyway but close i'd guess, to what would have had to have happened..

Guest Transformer

The man did not leave the area from the time of his supposed encounter to when he told the story and I am sure that he was well aquainted with the area that he spent so much time in and around. I think it is wrong for people to now try and make up excuses for why his tales do not hold water such as getting his locations and mountains confused. He was a prospector who lived off his wits and knowledge of the area for 35+ years and he sure would know which inlet was which and which direction he went and the distances he travelled on foot. I also think the photos in the other thread were doctored regarding Mt. Baker and Vancouver because I see Mt. Baker from my house every day and live within 40 miles of Vancouver and have been all around the mountains near Vancouver and even the highest buildings in Vancouver and have NEVER seen Mt. Baker look like that!

SSR Team

Don't get me started again. :D

Do you believe all of those different photo's were doctored then ?

I got a friend of mine who is a photoshop King to have a look at it & if he says that main picture had no doctoring, that's good enough or me.

The rest are just back up that it's possible to take pictures like that.

With regards to Ostman, you say that he never left that area from 1927 ( i think it was ) when it happened to 1947 ?

Do you know if after the encounter he still actually spent time in the Mountains prospecting then to be so well aquainted with the area ?

& if i'm not mistaken, wasn't he initially on a vacation up there, taking some time off from his work, wherever that was ?

I ask because if he was still prospecting in that area after his encounter, the Man would have been clearly completely fearless.

It's one of the classics and one of my favorites. I suppose Ape Canyon will always be my #1.

Seems almost too incredible but who knows?

Got away by flinging a craving for *snuff* on the male.

It might be like most things and the actual truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Which would still render it an awfully cool story.

Agreed, Ostman's - and the very similar Muchalat Harry story - are epic storytelling. I also agree that those (plus Ape Canyon) are quite literally, incredible.

The details are intriguing. He did not claim they were apes. He said they were hairy, naked, big people. They apparently had a language, and could even weave. They ate roots and nuts and such.

The description of the acute nicotine poisoning was also correct. Especially the approximate 5 minutes to onset and the excessive thirst (probably trying to put his throat out). BTW, the bigfoot probably died. A full tin of snuff would have contained the lower end of what was required to kill him with acute nicotine poisoning.

The axe is probably still embedded in the tree where Ostman left it. My guess would be near 50.464 N, 124.826 W.

The tins and scoops are probably still near where he was held.

If the nicotine poisoning didnt kill him the Bigfoot may have suffocated. I have been dipping Copenhagen for years and it is moist and is technically a snuff. I think the kind of snuff Ostman was using was the kind that is absolutely dry. You can still by that kind today, but I really dont know how you are supposed to use it. Snort it? In between the cheek and gum. God only knows. But im pretty sure he was using the dry kind, and the first thing any living being would do after emptying that in his mouth would to take an involuntary gulp of air. That stuff is about the constancy of make up powder the ladies use. It would have coated his lungs with fine powder and death may have been minutes to hours depending on how much he inhaled. Of course this is all conjecture, ajiani's comment just got me thinking thats all. Im sure you all are thinking im an idiot for actually posting this. LOL