Yotes Within Richmond Va. City Limits!

Guest Cervelo

Guest Bluholly

They have made all the way to the coast. I had a staring contest with one here in Lancaster Co. Last summer. They sound off in the early A.M. darkness. Plenty of game here and woodland cover. I think this one was scoping out the farm, dogs and me. He was using the two foot corn height as cover, but he came out clear, sat on his haunches and just watched me and the dogs. Blu.

You should have shook you camera a little while snapping the shutter, to impart some blurriness.

• Upvote 1

Guest Cervelo

LOL so true Inc would have been a good experiment!!

It was a male, maybe 40lbs I was holding up traffic to get him out of the road, felt kinda sad when I grabbed his paws he was still warm :(

I know they can be a pest but still a very handsome animal up close.

Guest wudewasa

Cervelo,

You did an honorable act, and saved scavengers the fate of death by a vehicle while scavenging a coyote carcass!

The first coyote that I skinned came to me in this way. Post road removal when removing the pelt, the diminishing heat warmed my hands in the cool spring evening. There is something primal in such an experience, connecting oneself to the ancestors back to the beginning...

Guest Cervelo

W,

Kinda spooky you say that, when I touched him standing in the road in the dark, with traffic slowly moving by going the other way.

People gawking at what I was doing, I felt his warmth, and thought oh no he's still alive what do I do now, then I put my hand on his chest and felt nothing and there was a sense of relief.

I gently put him on the side of the road and felt of all things shame, it was a surreal moment, I wish now I had put him in the pick up and driven him to a better place.

It brings a tear to my eye.... hard thing to explain

:(

Thx for your kind words!

what part of richmond?had a neighbor had one of his large roosters killed.

This is going to blow your mind just up Cary St from where your working!!!

Going east( towards town) on Cary from your job site about half way up the hill.

Edited by Cervelo

Guest operator

well ive seen all kinds of wildlife there.foxs,deer,skunks,coons,owls,bald eagles,deer you name it.even kept an eye out for a squatch.LOL.i can see how it would be easy for them to get around in the area.

Guest wudewasa

Compassion is a hard thing to explain?! To a narcissist, perhaps. Many of us understand your feelings, regardless.

Such a story lies at the heart of the beginnings of America's conservation movement-

From http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/242524 :

“We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes – something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.†- Aldo Leopold

― Aldo Leopold

I was riding my bicycle to my girlfriends house, quite close to the St. Paul riverfront and had coyotes start howling/yipping all around me. Spooky. We have deer, fox, bald eagles, there was even a bear seen within a block of here last year.

Guest wudewasa

Coyotes showing up in urban/suburban areas means that pet owners need to be vigilant in the protection of their animals. While it is enjoyable to see these animals running around so close to homes (just like seeing a hawk or owl), there will eventually be conflicts with humans. I respect and uphold any person's right to defend themselves, family and pets from this species, but taking precautions can possibly buffer potential problems. Keeping trash secure, dogs on a leash and cats from wandering reduces risk of coyote attacks, as well as keeping your property free of trash and grass mowed. Rodents and other prey items will have to go elsewhere. The biggest problem that I believe happens is when coyotes learn to prey on pets, and laws prohibit the use of firearms in an area to defend pets from this species. Animal Control considers this to be a Fish and Game issue, and Fish and Game is undermanned and funded.

FWIW: Every-once-in-a-while, news reports {including TV footage} comes out about black bears that have wandered into the neighborhoods in & around the Chesapeake, Virginia area. Chesapeake sits along the eastern border of the Great Dismal Swamp {or GDS}.

My 'one & only' black bear sighting to date occurred on the western side of the GDS {opposite side from Chesapeake} on 01 November 2008. A black bear walked out in front of my truck, and I was *LUCKY* enough to have my camera and get three pics and a short video.

Here's the video on YouTube {where I go by the nickname "RocKiteman"}:

http://youtu.be/bSu0fZd7vIw

{The GDS straddles the state line between S.E. Virginia & N.E. North Carolina.}

Edited by Kite-Squatch

Guest Thepattywagon

I almost ran over a Coyote last week that was just outside of St Petersburg, crossing a road near a nature preserve.

That's St Pete FLORIDA, by the way!

BFF Patron

The one and only yote I saw in daylight hours crossing Hwy 11 in Upstate SC looked like something out of the Skinwalker Ranch in Utah. Huge front shoulders and much smaller flank/hind legs. The way it loped across the highway made me think it was one of the larger examples of coyotes for sure.

Edited by bipedalist