Yotes Within Richmond Va. City Limits!

Guest Cervelo

Guest Strick

Is it true that the Eastern Coyotes tend to be a lot bigger than the ones out West? The one I saw on the AT in Virginia in 2004 was much bigger than I'd expected and much bigger than I've spotted in CA since then.

Back then, I was still coming across old 'official info' on park notice boards and the like casting doubt on whether there was much of a population in Virginia and the Eastern states at all, which was odd as everyone I knew was having them pop up all over......

Guest Cervelo

When I first saw this one I thought it was a white German Shepard. Not every having seen one this close it looked nothing like the ones out west.

Very big IMO and very dog like.

Having never personally seen a coyote before, I take it that a coyote is 'obviously' not a fox...?

{That is, a coyote would not be mistaken for a fox.}

Guest spurfoot

Coyotes in the Mid-Atlantic states are said to be hybridized with wolves, thereby lending large size. The wolves, in turn, had been previously hybridized with dogs, giving them a color blacker than ordinarily.

The reports of big coyotes in the East are all consistent with this.

Guest wudewasa

Cervelo,

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/habitat_partners/infosheets/coyote.pdf

Patty,

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article1170816.ece

bipedalist,

Sounds like the one I saw on a golf course one night early fall. Massive shoulders, strong all over, not the scrawny stereotype that so many people subscribe to. This one was not afraid of me, initially.

Guest Strick

I suppose a Coyote could be mistaken for the the Gray Foxes you have in the States, they could not be mistaken for the Red Foxes we have here in the UK (I know you got 'em too!) that are responsible for the really good Bigfoot impressions.

However, as Cervelo states, they are much closer to a light-coloured German Shepherd in appearance. I expect people commonly mix up the two.

The first Coyote I ever saw was one of these Eastern Yotes and my first reaction was that it was much bigger than I thought; whereas, I think the most common reaction upon seeing a new animal is that they generally appear smaller than what you imagined. The California Coyotes, on the other hand, looked just like the ones hanging around camp in the old westerns....

Guest Thepattywagon

@TPWAGON: SAINT PETERSBURG, F-L???!!! Wowzers....

yeh, it was definitely a Yote. I've seen 3 in the area within the past year, and a buddy of mine ran one over on the E side of the Bay a month ago. He stopped and checked it out (pulled it off of the highway). He said it was really big and very healthy looking.

TPWagon, I guess coyotes were in the Tampa Bay area when I was growing up, but since the internet wasn't around then, I was never aware of them. {Same holds true for our "big hairy bipedal friends".}

Presumably there were at least as many yotes in that area "back in the day" as now {when I was younger}, given how that part of Florida was 'less developed' in decades past....

BFF Patron

The large coyote I saw was nothing like the gray foxes I've caught on gamecam around my current area (doesn't mean they might not match up in other instances I suppose of misid). The theory of hybridizing with wolves would've explained some of the body morphology I saw that afternoon in the road crossing I witnessed.

BFF Patron

Yep, excellent stuff Wude, lot of science there.

about 13 years ago i saw my 1st coyotes while bowhunting .

when i told folks i got called a liar or mis -id'd(sound familiar?)

wish i had been lying , theyre everywhere now & getting to be a problem,allowing for an open season on them year round with some counties having a bounty program.

i finally shot a big male during muzzle loader season a couple years ago on the same ridge i saw the 1st pair .

bigger than i thought it would be,nearly 40 lbs.

ive often heard theyre bigger east of the Mississippi river.

what struck me was the killer set of teeth. funny wolf-like has been mentioned cause thats what i thought when i saw those chompers.coy2.jpg