How Fast Can Bigfoot Run?

Guest Tontar

Guest MikeG

Yebbut......fair's fair.......if Patty was a real creature, she may have been old, pregnant, suffering from gout, or just the sasquatch version of an opera singer. Not every single member of the human race can run like Lynford Christie.

Mike

The three adult males I've seen were all built like professional atheletes and moved like atheletes. The pregnant female was proportionally thicker, even discounting the pregnancy. She seemed less agile, but skittered up a deer trail faster than I could have. She still had that gravid, careful quality to her movements when she was turning, but once she was on azimuth, she moved. Because of this, every time I see media of a bigfoot that is big and bulky I'm skeptical. It just doesn't match up with what I've seen.

To me, Patty seems old and worn compared to those I've seen, but still more powerful than a human.

I don't think 40-45 is outside their performance range. The question is how long they can sustain the speed.

When I was a kid there was a show that pitted atheletes from divergent sports against each other. One matchup was between an Olympic mathoner that was pushing five feet and an Olympic shot-putter that was over 6 feet and nearly as thick. In rowing, the marathoner won because with each stroke he propelled himself forward in a skim. The shot-putter barely moved. With each stroke he literally lifted the boat out of the water, but had very little forward movement. He handily beat the marathoner in the 100 yd dash, though.

Edited by JDL

Yeah, hate to admit it but I've always considered the PGF real but there is no way I can look at Patty and imagine her cruising at 45 mph.

Sort of why I challenge the claim.

I think the PGF is real. As such I can't accept the 45 mph claim based on what I see depicted in the film.

Sort of a gotcha moment for those who do and think the PGF is real IMHO.

Dunno Tontar. Clever postings....

But would it not make more sense to assume that not all bigfoot would be capable of such speeds...just like not all humans can run 30mph (I know I can't!). Maybe Patty just wasn't much of a runner...

Edit: oops I am slow, someone already made this point!

Edited by chelefoot

I for one believe that bigfoot can run 65 MPH... Right after it exits the telephone booth in front of the Daily Planet wearing his blue suit with red cape, complete with a big "S" on the chest.

The "S" stands for Sasquatch, of course.

Guest BFSleuth

While the PGF may or may not be a real BF, if it does show a real BF it is one specimen. This web site is an attempt to help witnesses recreate what they saw:

http://www.thepaintedcave.com/img/pete/sasketch/bsp_main.php

Note the variety of body shapes and faces. If BF does exhibit a range of body types as noted in the images, then it may be they have a range of body types similar to humans. Not all humans are built for speed and not all humans are built for power.

Guest Tontar

Yebbut......fair's fair.......if Patty was a real creature, she may have been old, pregnant, suffering from gout, or just the sasquatch version of an opera singer.

Oh, dude, what opera have you been listening to lately?! Clearly you have not been listening to one of my favorite songs, the Flower Duet by Katherine Jenkins. They aren't making them the same as in our parents' day! Here's another by her, and if you want to see how operatic she "appears", check her out tonight on Dancing With The Stars.

It's been suggested and/or speculated on before that Patty (if she's real) is an older specimen. Different reports describe different body types and musculature. I would think that, like BFS said, they may have a range of body types, just like humans. They may also tend to get a little thicker and heavier with age (again, like us) and child-bearing.

I don't think anyone has suggested that Sasquatch just up and bolt around at high speeds willy-nilly and just for fun. Yes, the trackways that are found would seem to indicate a stroll, just as I would imagine a Sasquatch walking and surveying his/her domain or foraging doing. There's no danger, there's no reason to bust out at top speed and risk injuries. The question would be, under extreme circumstances, what are they capable of? I would think that, if a human can reach 30mph (with our walking stride averaging around 33") it's not really a stretch to think that a biped with a 4'-5' walking stride (and even longer if you believe some reports) could add 10mph or so if they were young and in shape. Stretch that out and you're coverin' a lot of ground in a hurry, I would think.

Edited by BeachFoot

So 45 miles is 72 kilometers... yeah I'm just not feeling that is possible. I mean unless BF is a plains animal it has no need at all to reach that speed and even if it could get up to 45miles an hour, how the heck is it going to safely come to a complete stop in the woods without smacking itself into a tree?

I know the below is for a car but come on guys, why would an animal evolve such a fast pace in an enviroment where it simply does not need to be so fast? If bigfoot could do 72kms an hour there would be alot of em splatted on trees imo

*Edit*

That copy and paste didnt go so well so here is the link

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/stopping-distances.htm

Edited by Ghuda

Funny how that speed keeps getting faster. First, we have this post:

Provide some proof as you made the uncorroborated claims. An BF wearing overalls, an BF in ponytails, an BF riding freight trains, and an BF that can run 35-40 mph.

Now we have:

I consider BF hopping trains, wearing ponytails, overalls, galloping at 40-45 mph, and smoking extraordinary.

Next thing you know we're likely to hear that I said I saw one flying an airplane. :rolleyes:

Beachfoot, the stride doesnt really mean alot, a quick google search came up with a Giraffe's top speed being around only 33mph, a horse with a top speed of 54mph and an ostrich 43.5mph

Edit* Quite a nifty little site with top speeds of many animals if anyone wants to check it out

http://www.speedofan...animals/giraffe

Edited by Ghuda

Perhaps, Ghuda, but I was supplementing all of the supposed anatomical similarities between humans and Sasquatch with the stride length. If a human can go from walking (~3.5mph) to running at close to 30mph....do the math. If the stories are to be believed, Sasquatch is a lot more powerful. They don't spend their time walking on paved roads and sidewalks 99% of the time. The terrain they supposedly live in would make it impossible for them NOT to have incredible leg strength, and gettin' those legs movin' is what speed is all about.

I'm not saying that I believe they ARE capable of 40mph.....hell, I don't even "believe" that they exist. All I'm saying is that given what anectdotal information I've seen/heard, it wouldn't surprise me (in EITHER case).

The key physical stat is the ability to provide oxygen to the muscles. Just a couple of inches of increased height in humans can make a big difference in oxygenation. This is why most Olympic swimmers have long torsos. Compared to us, bigfoot must have huge lung volume. More muscle and plenty of oxygen to fuel it = outstanding and sustained performance. I suspect that the proportional increase in lung volume is even greater than the proportional increase in muscle mass between bigfoot and human.

@Saskeptic, I plussed you for the Tony Parker/ Tim Duncan reference. I'm a Spurs fan!

Anyhow, back to the topic. I would have to remove Patty as a point of reference since, for this purpose, we're talking about the "ideal" Bigfoot specimen. Considering that it has not been proven to exist, you'll have to give me a little leeway.

I think it's important to look at the physical attributes of world class sprinters. (see the photos below) There is a misconception in that many people believe you must be thin and tall to run fast. In fact, the fastest men in the world are rather heavily muscled and bulky. Long distance runners are fairly light and lean but we're discussing top speed and acceleration. I suspect that a Bigfoot would need the ability to rapidly accelerate over a short distance and would probably not be able to go more than 30-45 seconds at full speed. Furthermore, as it's been mentioned, Bigfoot would need to sprint over rough terrain, as well as up and down hills.

That would require, in my opinion, heavy muscles in the legs and upper body, as well as thick bones and strong joints. Bigfoot can't afford any kind of stress related injury. Bigfoot, according to common belief and witnesses, possesses all of these attributes. Finally, I think, in the case of Bigfoot, acceleration is more important than top speed. I don't know if they can go any faster than 35 miles per hour but that may not be as important if you can get to that speed in less than 3 seconds.

Linford.Christie.jpg32503_w400xh600.jpg

Strength = Power/ Acceleration

Guest FuriousGeorge

If they exist, I bet they are pretty fast. I bet they are pretty big and pretty strong.

People have always been exaggerating abilities with anything mysterious that has not been measured. I think all of those factors above have been exaggerated from time to time.

I think 40mph is an exaggeration. My best guess (from what I've gathered, and never witnessing one) would be a lot slower than 40mph. I have no idea exactly how fast, except that it is not 40mph. No way.

I'll guess 3mph for 4x4 mode, except for when it repeatedly falls down due to being in 4x4 mode.