How Fast Can Bigfoot Run?

Guest Tontar

Re: Sas on NBA players/stride length.

I love basketball, so I'm glad you brought the NBA into this discussion. IMO, the NBA comparisons you make are not quite accurate. This discussion is about maximum speed. Most of the guards you named (Parker, Nash, Rondo, etc...) are noted for their quickness/agility, rather than maximum speed. When people talk about how "fast" a guard is, they are traditionally referring to his ability to combine quick bursts of speed with the ability to change direction expediently. Now, most of your comparisons were probably accurate anyway (Parker and Westbrook would almost assuredly beat Duncan and Perkins in normal sprints as well).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if a 25 year old Shaq or a 25 year old Garnett could beat a 25 year old Nash/Rondo in a straight sprint (not involving directional change).

Also, Lebron James is considered by many to be one of, if not the, fastest player in the NBA. Lebron James is 6'8 and weighs around 265 pounds (NBA sources list his weight at 250 lbs, but you can find direct quotes from him and team officials refuting this). He is significantly larger than all the other "fast" players in the NBA, and also possesses one of the largest vertical leaps. He also weighs more than Duncan, Garnett, Dirk or Kareem weighed at any point in their careers, yet is as fast or faster than people like Rondo, Westbrook and Monta Ellis.

Lastly, Olympic sprinters are always <= 6 feet tall. The fastest sprinter in the world, Usain Bolt, is 6'5. His stride length is massive compared to other Olympic sprinters. His coaches helped him shape his running form differently than other sprinters, in order to take advantage of his stride length.

This article suggests that the reason we don't see more tall sprinters in the Olympics, especially from big countries like the US, is not necessarily because being shorter is more effective, but rather because tall people with high level athleticism have the option of playing much more lucrative sports (such as basketball or football), and never consider becoming Olympic sprinters.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/recycled/2009/08/taking_sprinting_to_new_heights.html

I suspect that the lung volume to body mass ratio of a bigfoot is greater than our own. Can't speak to the heart. Haven't there been reports of them swimming for extended distances submerged? Much longer than a human could. This might be an indicator of a better lung volume to body mass ratio.

Guest Tontar

I'm very hesitant to adopt every report about bigfoot into any kind of reliable description of what they may or may not be like. There are so many reports, from the benign to the fantastical, so picking through to determine which reports are real and which are not, is too great a challenge. It goes back to what we personally prefer to imagine, versus what might eventually be able to be proven with a real specimen. For example, while one report might say that someone saw a bigfoot dive under the water for five minutes before reemerging, leading some to conclude that they have massive lung capacity, another report might say that the person heard splashing in a shallow pond, turned and looked, and saw splashing coming across the pond, as if steps were being taken in the water but what was making them was invisible. That's a real report, bigfoot was able to use mind zapping of some sort to conceal it's appearance, thus effectively cloaking it from view! What organ or blood chemistry allows them to do that?

So making assumptions based on reports is a very shaky foundation, especially when a skeptical response might be that there is and never has been a physical specimen to prove they even exist, much less demonstrate how big their lungs are, or how they can make themselves invisible. We "know" virtual nothing about them as real creatures, so by default everything is speculation. How unrestricted we want to let our speculations (imaginations) wander is a personal thing I guess. I tend to try to keep my imagination more in check, not making too many unsupportable assumptions. We all make assumptions simply by allowing ourselves to believe they exist, but beyond that, where do we draw the line individually?

Why would you start a thread entitled "How Fast Can Bigfoot Run?" if you didn't anticipate that there might be some speculation & assumptions involved?

Guest FuriousGeorge

I don't want to speak for Tontar, but I believe while he is referring to speculation and assumptions, he is mostly trying to get a hold on limitations. I'm from the anti-limitless abilities camp myself.

Guest Tontar

Thanks, FS. Exactly. Talking about how fast bigfoots can run sprung from numerous posts in other topics about bigfoots having seemingly outrageous, super human abilities. Of course if they are animals and not humans, their abilities should be different, but whatever their abilities are, they should be credible in nature, and be somewhat comparable to other naturally occurring animals. Custom tailoring BF characteristics and abilities in an unlimited manner, much like how people would customize their avatar players in D&D style games, might be fun, but doesn't have a lot of bearing on how things work in the real world. I prefer to think that if BF exists, if follows similar rules of nature that other animals do.

Re: Sas on NBA players/stride length.

Welcome Minyak!

Yes, LeBron is something else physically. He is both incredibly fast and powerful. Still, he's not faster than our fastest sprinters, and he'd likely be left in the dust by Olympic athletes in say, the 800m. So even that guy, even LeBron who's amazingly fast and certainly as big and muscular as some bigfoots are reported to be, is probably not capable of running over 25 mph.

What I'm trying to point out is that you can scale up a human to bigfoot-sized and you're not going to get a creature capable of racehorse speed (say 40-45 mph). If you could, it sure wouldn't happen with that floppy, hinged foot.

What about those little 5 foot suckers? they ought to be crazy fast and nimble.

Ah yes, those little nimble footed ninjas. Look up the next time you take a walk in woods.

Where are the "limitless ability" posts? Suggesting they can possibly run fast isn't saying they can fly.

Guest BFSleuth

My attitude regarding all sighting report databases is that there will always be some level of distrust of at least some of the information. However, I think that it is far more likely that the majority of information in the databases is accurate.

Even if you want to throw out a major number of reports, there is a quite a number of observations of the speed of these animals.

In regards to their lung capacity and observations of swimming underwater:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7382 - BF escapes by swimming underwater around a river bend

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=14646 - BF emerges from underwater (unknown time under water)

I think we may be comparing apples & oranges here. The two BFs that I saw running across a neighbor's field that impressed me so much, were running on all fours. I've only seen one running bipedally, & it was more of a trot than a run. It could be that they aren't all that fast unless they're going on all fours.

I will say that the two I saw that day were running as fast, or faster than any "animal" I've ever seen.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Where are the "limitless ability" posts? Suggesting they can possibly run fast isn't saying they can fly.

lol Are you going to make me do a bioluminescent eyeball search? The post are all over the place. From paranormal turning into trees and deer to learning about humans by watching tv through the window, and avoiding camera's because they understand that their photo might be posted on the internet. The posts are here on this forum. I have to go to work now, so I don't have time to search for links. Limitless claims are made on a limitless basis here.

Edited by FuriousGeorge
Edited to change a word and for grammar

Does LeBron James train like an Olympic Sprinter? If not, how do we know that the muscle groups in LeBron needed for straight sprinting are honed and built? How would said Olympic Sprinter fare in a basketball 'speed' competition? I don't think that we are working with an accurate comparison.

How are the mechanics of a chimp's musculo skeletal set up so that a chimp that is smaller than a human has strength magnitudes greater?

How do we know that BF's aren't set up somewhere 1/3 of the way between humans and chimps in regards to the muscle mechanics? (ha ha! get the reference?)

Any fast quadropedal primates out there? How fast can they run?

40 mph is not out of the realm of possibility in my mind.....however, it's the probability that comes into play at that point.

@Furious - I think the internet photo comment was made in jest....

the others not so much. heck, there are pics of purported eyeshine on the BFRO site, as well as a claim by DMK herself stating she's seen them do it.

Add in infrasound and all sorts of weird stuff can happen to the human mind/body to change how we perceive things.

But yeah, I'm with you in many regards that BF's have been described as having limitless abilities. Really nothing short of 'magical'.

lol Are you going to make me do a bioluminescent eyeball search? The post are all over the place. From paranormal turning into trees and deer to learning about humans by watching tv through the window, and avoiding camera's because they understand that their photo might be posted on the internet. The posts are here on this forum. I have to go to work now, so I don't have time to search for links. Limitless claims are made on a limitless basis here.

Sorry, I thought the conversation was about how fast they run. Why drag all the other claims into it?

• Upvote 1

Guest FuriousGeorge

The premise I was addressing (the way I look at it) prior was limitations and assumptions. We know nothing for sure, so the best we can do is try to eliminate assumptions through logic and reason. Running (among many many others) is one of those things.

Because this animal defies capture does not mean it defies physics.