How Fast Can Bigfoot Run?

Guest Tontar

A little something about foot anatomy.

Genetics can do some pretty wild stuff:

"The Vadoma tribe, also known as Wadoma (or by the singular, Mudoma), is found in the Urungwe and Sipolilo districts, west of Zimbabwe, Africa. The ostrich people are a shy people and tend to stay in more rugged areas such as the Zambezi river valley, away from the majority of other people."

Avoid people....rugged areas...

ectrodact.jpg

Now, I don't think that these feet fit into any sort of 'normal ape or human' foot. Perhaps making assumptions based on human and ape feet are not accurate when describing a BF's feet.

Original link to the quoted statement above.

http://www.best-ostrich-info-online.com/ostrichpeople.html

Guest Tontar

Monkey boy runs 100 meters in 18.58 seconds. Not a bad speed, but not at all a running speed. He gives a good example of how poorly a human shaped animal would be at going down on all fours. It is a great gait for climbing steep slopes, for sure; I go on all fours if a slope is steep, it's a lot easier to go fast and maintain traction and balance. But on lever ground, it is all wrong. I use Patty as an example as she is the only photographic evidence of what is believed to be a real sasquatch. Some people want to broaden the realm of possibilities and suggest she is one of the upright walkers, while there are likely other varieties that have longer arms, longer backs, shorter legs, thus being built in such a way that going on all fours for improved motation would be practical. I'll wait until such a variety is documented with photos, video, or a specimen. Until then, Patty is the archetype I'll refer to.

Abot those ostrich people, interesting what inbreeding a mutation will do, eh?

Don't forget that we are still quadrupeds for the first 12 or 18 months of our lives. We're possibly the only biped that does this.

Mike

Yeah, but we don't navigate very well on all fours. Knees don't work well as feet.

Guest Thepattywagon

I don't have a problem imagining Patty running fast in a bipedal fashion. Her basic posture is a slight leaning forward of her torso with her head tilted downward, all of which looks very natural to me. So, why would is it such a stretch to imagine her exaggerating this approach in her walk (arm swing added) to accommodate a flat out sprint?

If she is capable of doubling her walking stride, she could cover some real estate pretty quickly.

If the 3 mile snow trackway in the Minnesota clip was BF related, that creature was probably quite a bit larger than Patty. It's walking stride in deep snow was impressive enough, but I wonder how long the stride would be from that one if running on dry land?

I have no hard evidence to back up any of the above speculation. :)

I am not going to presume I really know anything about Patty's leg or hip structure. From what little we have seen we know it is similar to our, at least from an outward appearance. She does walk differently, and of course there would have to be some differences to accommodate a mid tarsal break. I wonder what an expert like Dr Meldrum thinks of the possibility of Sasquatch utilizing a quadrupedal means of movement sometimes?

As for how fast can Bigfoot run, heck, I just wonder how fast it can walk, with a stride like that, a hurried walk would be tuff to keep up with.

Guest BFSleuth

I would think that if BF does indeed have a mid-tarsal joint (I hate the term "break") it would be advantageous for quadrupedal locomotion, as only the front half of the foot would need to be in contact with the ground. For a human to move in a quadrupedal manner we have to stay up on our toes and the balls of our feet, with little leverage for pushing off (see video of the Japanese guy posted above).

"Which is pretty remarkable when you consider how they move. They are absolutely unique on the planet in that they move with a gait used by no other creature. Both legs on the same side of their body move forward at the same time, whatever speed they are moving. Both lefts then both rights etc.......It always amazes me that they don't fall over with such an odd gait, which was clearly not selected for its speed advantage! They appear to rock backwards and forwards rather than walk or run."

Mike

camels do too

Edited by antfoot

• 1 month later...
Guest BFSleuth

The latest published BFRO sighting report notes the following:

"The animal was observed crossing an opening approximately 400-425 yards wide in a very short period of time; she estimated it took “less than a minute†and that it was moving from left to right and slightly away from her. Her only observation of facial features was fleeting as it turned to look at her. "He had a dark, leathery face and dark eyes". She perceived it to have a purposeful gate with a long, steady stride. It did not seem to be frightened or hurried, but focused. This speed is remarkable if her estimate is accurate, putting its pace near a four minute mile without much of an effort."

Note that the animal was walking when it covered this distance in less than a minute. For arguments sake let's say that it covers 1/4 mile in a minute, that works out to a walking speed of 15 mph, and it did not appear to be in a hurry.

So, if this BF has a walking speed of 15 mph with an unhurried walk, then what if it wanted to "walk in a hurry" or even run? Let's take a normal human to extrapolate as an example. A normal male human hiker is able to walk 4 mph on level ground at a good clip without really "hurry walking". Normal athletic male humans can sprint about 20 mph, or about 5x faster than a brisk walk. It could be argued that BF, being a much larger animal, might have a lower multiple of sprinting versus brisk walk, let's say 2.5x faster than a brisk walk. With a 15 mph walking speed then that still equates to 37.5 mph burst speed for a sprint. In this example the concept of BF approaching 40 mph seems to be within the realm of possibility.

Guest MikeG

I remember a teacher of mine in school needing a bit of time to do something, and us kids weren't settled at all.........So, he said to us "I want you to sit there in silence and put your hand up when you estimate that one minute has passed". There was no second hand on the clock, or no clock, and in those days 10 year olds didn't own watches. Hands first started going up around the 30 second mark, and it was only me and a couple of others who were taking our pulses who waited anywhere near a minute.

So, If that "minute" in the observation was in actuality only 30 or 40 seconds, and the distance was 500 yards not 400 (people are really bad at judging distance, too), then you have a potential walking speed of 57 mph. However, conceivably, that "minute" could actually have been 90 seconds, and the distance 300 yards, and thus a walking speed of under 7mph.

So, too much guesswork for my liking.

Mike

Guest BFSleuth

True, since the witness in the BFRO report wasn't timing the transit of the BF on a stopwatch and is only estimating the distance covered, then the actual walking speed could vary quite a bit, from 6 mph (a little faster than comfortable normal human walking speed) to around 15 mph.

Many witnesses that have described how fast a BF walks have noted that they cover ground very fast, sometimes indicating that when it walks like it is in a hurry it is traveling faster than they perceive a human could run. This is all very relative, but it does seem to indicate a creature that has a walking pace that is much faster than human.

IMO the "Whitey" BF video posted by MK Davis is walking (its feet never leave the ground) and seems to be going at a running clip for a human. I'm leaning toward "real" on that video.

BFF Patron

Well if a scared or determined black bear can hit 40 mph, let's just say I think a BF could put it too shame and probably run circles around it while it is moving..... this is consistent with a Georgia military unit set of maneuvers when soldiers stated the BF circled them at an un-Godly speed.

A little something about foot anatomy.

Genetics can do some pretty wild stuff:

"The Vadoma tribe, also known as Wadoma (or by the singular, Mudoma), is found in the Urungwe and Sipolilo districts, west of Zimbabwe, Africa. The ostrich people are a shy people and tend to stay in more rugged areas such as the Zambezi river valley, away from the majority of other people."

Avoid people....rugged areas...

Now, I don't think that these feet fit into any sort of 'normal ape or human' foot. Perhaps making assumptions based on human and ape feet are not accurate when describing a BF's feet.

Original link to the quoted statement above.

http://www.best-ostr...richpeople.html

This is a genetic defect that occurs in some of the people of the tribe, at a higher frequency than normal rates throughout the world. The whole tribe does not have this condition, it only occurs more often.

Here is a link to an actual study on the tribal genetic defect. http://archive.samj.org.za/1984%20VOL%20LXV%20Jan-Jun/Articles/03%20March/5.11%20THE%20TWO-TOED%20WADOMA-%20FAMILIAL%20ECTRODACTLY%20IN%20ZIMBABWE,%20H.B.McD.Farrel.pdf

Plus, you say 'avoid people' as if Bigfoot avoids people, where did that come from?

Edited by Drew

Guest BFSleuth

Well if a scared or determined black bear can hit 40 mph, let's just say I think a BF could put it too shame and probably run circles around it while it is moving..... this is consistent with a Georgia military unit set of maneuvers when soldiers stated the BF circled them at an un-Godly speed.

Do you have a link to that report?

BFF Patron

Nope, but it'd be in BFF Archives 1.0 probably under Georgia military base sightings. May have also been related on a very early edition of a blogtalk radio show around 2007/08.

Was able to find it on an existing thread on reg. forum: report 4109 BFRO Ft. Stewart GA

(oddly enough in one of my own posts, :P , imagine that, lol)

The investigator got more info. about speed and the unnerving speed, including figure 8's done between two groups.

Edited by bipedalist