Was Patty's Arm Length "inhuman"?

Tontar, my panties are just fine thanx. It's just you keep repeating yourself as if you aren't reading my posts. Here are the bullets:

• You don't seem to be following the methodology, there is no such thing as forelengthening. Objects on photos are either foreshortened or full length. We need unforeshortened physical numbers from an average human, approximately Bob H's height or taller. I volunteered my own measurements. If you think I measured wrong, then please correct me.
  • Distance from the camera certainly distorts images, but in a predictable way. There is an inverse relationship between the scaling distortion and the distance from the camera. Greater the distance, less distortion. Patty was always > 100' from the camera with less than 3% scaling distortion. We are talking a fraction of an inch. Bob H, however, is close enough to the camera that he should probably have his arm scaled down a touch relative to his body. But let's give him a freeby on this one. He can keep his overscaled arms.
  • Did any of the frames you "measured" show Patty's body parts unforeshortened (maximal)? It only takes 1 frame that exceeds Bob's maximum arm length to render the other comparisons moot. All the other frames could have been foreshortened, so they can't prove anything. MAXIMUMS dude.
  • When you measure yourself, pull out the lead on a tape measure and rubberband it to your wrist, numbers facing you. With your other hand hold the measure up to your eye. Now move your arm around, letting the end at your eye extend and retract freely, until you pull out the max tape. Don't let the tape bend. This is supposed to be a straight line measurement. When you hit the max, lock the measure and pinch the tape at your eye, pull it away from your face and READ THE NUMBER. I can't be certain that I'm avg proportioned unless I get some feedback. Bob H's proportions seems to confirm my numbers but maybe yours won't. ;)
  • FYI, the max distance, wrist to eye, is when the vector from your eye to shoulder joint, aligns with the vector from your shoulder joint to your wrist. That's when the 2 vectors form the radius of a circle with your eye at the center. Any other orientation bends the radius at the shoulder joint and shortens the distance from eye to wrist. Coincidentally, Patty & Bob's arm positions are in that very position, which I think were near maximal. That's how I measured myself.

Let me know what you get. :)

Guest Particle Noun

I have unusually long arms (and I'm not a tall person), so I'll run these measurements tonight and see what I get also. I might provide a good deviation from the norm! Maybe I'll even get the wife to take a picture of me taking the measurements.

Excellent PN, we can scale you up to 6'2". Maybe you're "inhuman". :D

Using the following criteria:

Pull out the lead on a tape measure and rubberband it to your wrist, numbers facing you. With your other hand hold the measure up to your eye. Now move your arm around, letting the end at your eye extend and retract freely, until you pull out the max tape. Don't let the tape bend. This is supposed to be a straight line measurement. When you hit the max, lock the measure and pinch the tape at your eye, pull it away from your face and read the number in inches (cm if you are a very young Canadian)

The format is:

Max eye to wrist = ? inches

Standing Height = ? inches

I'm taking on all comers. Bring me your numbers. :)

Guest Particle Noun

I really like the hypothesis, and I think as many people here should try and get measurements so we can add them into Giganto's data.

Guest RayG

It should be fairly easy to measure from my eye to my wrist, but how does anyone accurately measure Patty from her eye to her wrist? At what point do we clearly see her wrist to make such a measurement?

RayG

xspider1

Although we can't see anything quite as clear as we might like to; I think can make out the location of her wrist good enough here, Ray:

deeba473-1.gif

Considering that any arm/glove extensions would only make a costume look worse (especially in terms of upper to lower arm length ratios) , it all adds up to a undeniable Bigfoot, imo.

SweatyYeti

Sorry, I'm not seeing that clearly defined wrist.

RayG

These two Frames...F307 and F350....show the 'wrist-joint' pretty clearly, I think...

F307-F350Wrist3.jpg

Although we can't see anything quite as clear as we might like to; I think can make out the location of her wrist good enough here, Ray:

Considering that any arm/glove extensions would only make a costume look worse (especially in terms of upper to lower arm length ratios) , it all adds up to a undeniable Bigfoot, imo.

Absolutely, xspider... ;) ....the combination of Patty's 'arm length' and 'arm proportion' is a combo which cannot be replicated with the use of 'hand extensions'.

'Extensions' only make a 'human arm' less like Patty's, numerically....with regards to 'arm proportion'. So....it, literally....does not 'add-up', to a 'man-in-a-suit'... :)

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Upvote 1
Guest Tontar

deeba473-1.gif

Kind of strange how the two images are not the same horizontal scale. Maybe they're not the same vertical scale either, but it's quite noticeable that the horizontal scale is not the same. At the upper left corner, the green blob seems to remained aligned, but if yo place your cursor over any of the far right background shapes, you can see them shift to the right for the full spread frame. Either the entire overlaid frame is slightly larger, or it has been stretched horizontally.

xspider1

That is a particularly nice image on the left, Sweaty. Not sure why the wrist (and elbow) locations would be such a mystery, except for the ramifications. I even see an indentation there, just like we see in lots of other images of hairy primates:

Wrists.jpg

(the above image is hosted at photobucket, thx :)

SweatyYeti

That is a particularly nice image on the left, Sweaty. Not sure why the wrist (and elbow) locations would be such a mystery, except for the ramifications.

I agree, xs.....I don't see any 'mystery', regarding Patty's elbow and wrist locations. :)

That 'line' on the back of Patty's arm is precisely where her arm is seen to bend.....and, interestingly...that 'line' becomes more circular in shape, when the arm is bent....looking exactly like the 'protruding point' of an elbow bone...

F307-F311ElbowComp1.jpg

I even see an indentation there, just like we see in lots of other images of hairy primates:

Good comparison images, XS.....that is yet another similarity, between a detail on Patty's arms and a real animal's arm. :)

I don't think there are too many options for placing the wrist. There appears to be only 1 point of articulation from the end of the hand. At least that's where the wrist is supposed to be. It certainly went beyond Bob H's wrist. The question is then did Patty have arm extentions? So we turn to the elbow to ans that one. There were no elbow extentions that I know of. The elbow appears to bend approx midway down the arm. But that's not where Bob's elbow was if he was in the suit wearing hand extensions.

The trick is to place the palm of your hands firmly over your ears and go la la la..until someone changes the subject. So, how about them LA Kings? :)

Guest Particle Noun

Sorry I haven't posted numbers yet. The last few nights have been crazy and I haven't had the chance. I will do this though!

• 2 weeks later...
kitakaze

This post was originally intended as my opening statement to a formal debate with Kitakaze regarding whether the length of Patty's arms can be considered "inhuman". I submitted it twice to the "PGF on Trial" moderated forum but they must have got lost in cyberspace so I decided to start a new topic with it instead.

(snip)

I tell you what, let's have Puff take care of that. It will be an easy thing to have this post submitted to the PGF On Trial and I will have Puff have a look for your lost submissions.

I won't posting outside of this here. Time is precious and I will debate this formally or not at all, as I said before. I'm not interested in doing peanut gallery with this. Thank you for taking the time to get into it. Your post was largely as I had expected. Now let's do it right in the proper format and maybe you can haz my cheeseburger.

• gigantor unlocked this topic