Anyone Interested In Starting A Maryland Group?

Guest shoot1

Against popular belief, I think the best time to explore is after the leaves fall off the trees. Late Oct through Nov while it's relatively warm. Then again in late March through April before they sprout and bloom again. Obviously, elevation matters in terms of foliage, weather and climate. Much easier to see things walking around and watching you without leaf cover. A warm day or weekend in Jan or Feb would be ideal too. For me, it's no fun being out there bundled up.

Maybe we can start a VA/Wva. thread and everyone can post what happened on their expeditions.

That might be easier than trying to get a group together unless it's planned way ahead of time. I'll be heading out there sometime in Jan. if we get into a warm pattern. VA/Wva border. All mapped out, notes made, everything. Might leave the wife home for this one.

Edited by Maverick

I am in northern PG county, I tend to get out in the field at least once a month, there is a several hundred acre track of land near laurel MD Directly West of the PWRC that i have been meaning to do a walk through, would probably take better part of the day. It is pretty thick and has some marshy area's. It has been wet recently so just haven't really wanted to do it.

But if anyone is interested let me know, I will b on a Saturday or Sunday, even if no BF it will be a good opportunity to check out some wildlife.

No date set, my schedule is pretty open

PM me

Edited by bigbear

Not Greenbelt, but it is on my list for a hike for sure.

This is literally directly north west from PWRC, there is a small patch that connects to larger patch across the road :) And is kind of why it interests me. It is by the suburban airport and patuxent greens golf coarse. It is not huge by any means, but is bigger than it looks. I did a quick investigation there a few weeks back it is quite thick, lots of wildlife tracks. And i definitely want to go back and travel much deeper into the area, like i said it is thick and marshy with the river going through it so it will not be a quick hike and will take some time. I like to move slow anyway.

But it is directly attached to PWRC so potentially animals will move between these two areas or at least use the smaller areas as a way to travel.

Worth a quick look in my book.

There is a small recreational park right there in the area we could meet at and park at then trek into woods from there.

Again, i don't mind when, I am actually excited to get some field time in there if we get some snowfall. But yes if people are interested let me know, I am going either way sooner or later, and generally make a few trips to an area before i get bored with it.

Admin

post-338-006084800 1295333521_thumb.jpg

hummm... the area seems pretty populated to me.

Edited by gigantor

I would be lying if i said i expect to find squatch evidence, but unfortunately this is about the only thing close to me that is easily accessible and of any size. I know for a fact it is very diverse in wildlife and that is also part of the reason i like to take these hikes, not just looking for BF signs, more like looking for wildlife and keeping an eye open for BF signs.

Saw some north eastern river otters here not long ago, would like to see if i can't come across them again. Was an awesome find in almost the middle of the city, can't beat that.

Again, i go at least once a month on a hike somewhere, anyone interested PM me. Even if no squatch it is good to get experience with the indigenous species and the signs they leave behind.

Another place that is somewhat close is the Micheaux State Forest in PA. Adams and Franklin counties. Balt. Beltway to 795 to 140. 140 turns to 16 in PA. Near Waynesboro PA.

MM put it on his top 10 Bigfoot places in USA Today recently. MM is a ********* but he knows or thinks he knows as much about squatches as anyone. I've been there twice. Saw a lot of animal skeletons and bones. Not necessarily squatch related but was a little odd to see so many.

Not a bad chunk of forest, I am from PA, a little further west and north of there. I have spent much time in the state game lands around the area there and have never had anything i could even chalk up to being remotely interesting or related to squatch but i am always up for a hike.

I would probably just stick to the highway, 70 to south hagerstown, 66 to smithsburg then 64 up, they both would be close time wise though. depends on where you are leaving from.

I have wanted to check out the Catoctin park here in MD for awhile, drive through it all the time. Just never had the time to drive up there and give it a day. That is the same ridge line.

If you ever plan on going up there, PM me, i might be interested.

Edited by bigbear

Right, it is the same ridge line. The Uwharrie National Forest in NC is suppose to be a good spot with a lot of sightings but it's about 30,000 acres smaller than Michaeux. And Micheaux isn't all the big either at about 85,000 acres. Big being relative to more remote areas across the country. I'll PM you if I head up.

Both Michaux and Catoctin are good places just to be outside. I saw a pulled-up boulder in Catoctin my last time there that was almost certainly a foraging bear. Don't know how far eastward the bear population has gotten by now but that seemed at the time farther east than I would have expected. I'd be interested too.

Guest tomro62

I have an Uncle who lives in Luray, VA, at the foot of Shenandoah National Park. I have hiked through a lot of that area, but not in the last 5 years or so. I would really like to get back there and check it out.