The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

Guest slimwitless

The best part of the announcement is that Dr. Nekaris may get more face time. She's a hottie.

By the way, does anyone know where slimwitless got the pic of the top half of the back side of a blonde Jacob's creature?

Pt

As for Dr. Nekaris, yes.

As for the pic, I took that in my yard. It's actually the back of a stuffed Koala bear my dad brought back from his exploits overseas in the 1960s. It's made from real hide and fur from something - hopefully not a Koala bear but who knows what they did back then. Anyway, it was my take on the infamous Hovey photograph.

As for the pic, I took that in my yard. It's actually the back of a stuffed Koala bear my dad brought back from his exploits overseas in the 1960s. It's made from real hide and fur from something - hopefully not a Koala bear but who knows what they did back then. Anyway, it was my take on the infamous Hovey photograph.

Stuffed koala bear my foot! I know a blonde Jacob's creature when I see one. I suppose you have copyrighted the photo as part of your conspiracy to deprive us of all the facts?

Guest Particle Noun

So, isn't it about time we split into a Team Meldrum/Team Ketchum style flame war or something? Like a Team Jacob/Team Edward Twilight style fan off?

Admin

:boredom:

In my industry, we call this kind of thing vaporware.

Guest Particle Noun

Oh come on. This was just announced, how can you say that? Very weak gigantor, sorry. This was just announced, and it's already vaporware because it's not in your hands?

Pffft.

Anyway, it appears Dr. Sykes has tested hair from Bhutan before:

The long black strand of hair examined by the British scientists was found on the bark of cedar tree in the Kingdom of Bhutan, a small country on the eastern side of the Himalayas. The tall, hairy creature is believed by many locals to inhabit the forests and mountains of Bhutan, where it is called the Migyur. The British were led to this particular tree by Sonam Dhendup, the kingdom's official Yeti hunter. Locals had found a mysterious piece of skin in the hollow of the cedar tree, which they think the creature might have called home. Carefully examining the area, the British scientists found fresh footprints just a few hours old. Inside the tree, they noted claw-like scratch marks and found several strands of the hair.

Some of the hair was taken back to the UK for DNA testing. Bryan Sykes, Professor of Human Genetics at the Oxford Institute of Molecular Medicine and one of the world's leading experts on DNA analysis examined the hair. "We found some DNA in it," he said, "but we don't know what it is. It's not a human, not a bear not anything else we have so far been able to identify. It's a mystery and I never thought this would end in a mystery. We have never encountered DNA that we couldn't recognize before."

Edited by Particle Noun

BFF Patron

Quoted from David Batdorf (Facebook):

That depends on what the overall goal is... My understanding is (someone, correct me if I'm wrong) that MK is attempting a full Mt/Nu DNA sequence to show an extant species, while Sykes is attempting to show a point of divergence within the Hominidae family tree from 'anomalous' DNA from 'purported' Sasquatch samples... likely using mostly Nu DNA. MK's study is lofty and near impossible, while Sykes' study can be taken in the context of known species (chimps, bonobos orangs, gorillas, modern humans and relic humans with sequenced DNA) and while the DNA remains 'anomalous', it shows a great deal about the evolutionary history of the specimen. While only very interesting without a categorized species, this data could be very helpful IF a study like MK's were accepted (by her or someone else).

It's like a paternity test (only more complex) vs full genome DNA sequencing. They both use DNA data, but are looking to solve very different puzzles... and in Sykes' case, he has existing data to compare against, making it easier to validate any hypothesis he proposes.

Edited by bipedalist

As for Dr. Nekaris, yes.

Firstly i believe this is a picture of a drop bear which we have down here in oz, the name given as they are known to drop from trees onto their

prey.

Also I'm sure meldrum has ties with the folk at Olympic project who have a supply of sas samples, so I'm sure the ball will start rolling soon enough.

Guest wudewasa

If they can sequence nuclear and mt DNA, then why can't they get a body? Issue of existence solved!

Wow - 24 (now 25) replies to this topic and it just started today! I was at the PNW conference on Primal People where it was announced that Dr. Meldrum would be part of a separate DNA study. So, it was just "announced" officially, I guess.

Wonder how Ketchum's camp is taking it...or do they know? Care? I got the distinct impression from some conference attendees she would less than welcoming.

Perhaps Meldrum's announced effort will persuade Ketchum or her editor to publish sooner rather than to continue to polish the diamond. One study won't be enough anyway. An essential part of the scientific method is to have an independent party be able to reproduce your results.

Perhaps Meldrum's announced effort will persuade Ketchum or her editor to publish sooner rather than to continue to polish the diamond. One study won't be enough anyway. An essential part of the scientific method is to have an independent party be able to reproduce your results.

I would say multiple independant parties in this case. I think that's been confirmed via announcements on the FB page? That there are other labs testing or have tested? Dunno...so hard to follow. Heavy on the rhetoric. Regardless, to have a well known and reputable person within the BF community be a part is encouraging, IMHO.

Guest RioBravo

My question for Bigfootology is who are the "known hybrid-offspring of human and Bigfoot joining."

It blows my mind that they would casually claim there are living bigfoot-human offspring. What the hell is going on here?

Guest Check

Wow. As excited as I am to hear this, I'd think if I were in Dr. Meldrum's shoes, I'd keep information about this study to myself until such time a definitive release of some sort is imminent...

Why announce and welcome the rumor mill?

• Upvote 1

^He'll (Meldrum) likely address this whole thing soon enough, I would think. He's not one to sit around and let things twirl like a top.