Bigfoot Experts

Guest drtracr

But just because they are proven to exist does not mean someone would be able to just walk out in the woods and see one like you would a chimp. They will still be hard to find and it could be years before one is seen again, so I don't feel there would be much to study. IMO it would only step up the hunt and increase the chance one or more would be killed, nothing good will come from finding them

I'm not sure I said anything about them ever being easy to find. But, this too depends on who you talk to. I know of habituators who say they can "call them in".. Like I said, it depends on who you listen to :)

Can a person call themselves an "Expert" in the field of: "there are no Experts in Bigfoot Research"?

Just thought I would add a little humor.. :)

Actually, yes. That person would be an expert on the culture, people of note, theories, and "evidence" of the BF subculture. So, because you could be an expert on those things, you could easily be an expert who would be consulted to say there are no experts in Bigfoot Research.

I only have and MA in Communications and Culture, and a second MA in Art History with a thesis on the study of fan groups (of which I would say BF culture definitely can be defined as one), but I can't be a full expert, I don't have a PhD.

;)

One will never be an expert if that person has never seen or experienced one and believe they are make-believe myths. That person is not even qualified to enter into this conversation, having no experience whatsoever. Therefore, that person has no evidence nor anecdotal stories to bring to the table to discuss.

There are no "experts" because no one has ever spent years in the fields in direct observation of a troop, collecting repeatable data and gathering indisputable evidence. Those closest are those with multiple experiences with them on an on-going basis. When they are proven to be a real species, those folks are the ones who need to come forward with their observation data and share with scientists, and accompany them into the field to learn together. But who dictates that an expert has to be a scientist? Someone going out there for months getting to know them and their habitat and habits is certainly closer to an expert than a brand new scientist hitting the field for the first time lacing up his/her boots.

I don't think I agree with your definition of who can and can't be an expert and why or why not. An individual who approaches this from a folkloric standpoint, and then backs up folklore with study on the ground, perhaps anecdotal evidence, or even a story of their own interaction or sighting would very much be an expert. You are defining a specific type of expert, and using a very wide definition that seems to include not only in field scientific study, but also pseudo-anthropological study. A brand new scientist may be more expert in certain areas than the person who was raised in a troop and brought back to civilization a la Tarzan.

Dr. Meldrum is the current expert on BF tracks, etc. Does anyone deny that? BIll Munns is the current expert on the PGf. At some point in the future, as more information in both areas comes out, they will be surpassed (or irrelevant). Your example of someone who lives among the animals will only be the expert until the new scientist entering the field's experience surpasses theirs, certainly the credibility of the scientist would be higher than the non-academician.

Who is and is not an expert or authority changes over time based on many things.

St. G-

Edited by St. George

Ex=Former, Spurt= A drip under pressure.

But seriously I would venture that the only true "experts" are people we will never even know about. Joe Blow living 4th generation in his old Airstream in the middle of nowhere. Who sits out in front in the evening in his tattered lawn chair, sipping his home brew and cursing the "Dang Soosquatch's" that keep pilfering his plum trees, swiping his chickens and unscrewing or rock-plinking his porchlight with the regularity of Saturday night bingo. I firmly believe these people are out there and that they could care less about us or anyone else knowing about the Shenanigans. The local Sasquatch have actually "habituated" him...not the other way around.

There is another form of expert who might not be so obvious, the ones who have a very tiny part of the picture. For instance I wasn't here during the Elbe trackway hoax, but from some of the earliest pictures I could have told you there was something very suspicious about a couple of the photos. And I know nothing about Bigfoot. Never seen one, might have heard one once, but spend my time hiding as far away from them as I can, with no plans to run into one any time soon.

And yet... there is one thing I'm a real expert in, and that is how shapes interract. Big shapes, little shapes, hard shapes, squishy shapes, squishy shapes with hard shapes in or under them etc. and the Elbe tracks did not fly.

It is hard to put into words as you have to be a visual thinker to be able to do it, plus it is good practice when dealing with scammers to not give them too many tips on how to improve, so I won't go into it here, but if anyone with an honest reputation (and yes I will check) wants to, they should feel free to ask me to look over a photo. If I'm not around, PM me.

Edited by icicle

• 4 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2012 at 0:36 PM, Guest drtracr said:

Was just reading an article about Monneymaker and his team of "Bigfoot Experts". How can they be called "Experts" if they havenever captured any hard evidence? What seperates them from the rest of us that search for BF? An expert is someone that has accomplised the task at hand and there are none.

JM

If anyone tells you he's an "expert," he isn't a scientist.  A scientist is a pilgrim on the road of knowledge, Grasshopper.  I'm one. Many people are.  The only thing you will sway us with is evidence, and in *any* field...we know what that is.

And I am making a lunch money side-wager that *most* people with science degrees...AREN'T.  A physicist is a physicist, just like a VW mechanic isn't an automotive designer.

(Now, if you ask the VW mechanic "what do you think about bigfoot?" and he replies, I don't know, intriguing, isn't it?...you might be talking to a scientist.)

Edited by DWA

On 5/23/2012 at 11:36 AM, Guest drtracr said:

Was just reading an article about Monneymaker and his team of "Bigfoot Experts". How can they be called "Experts" if they havenever captured any hard evidence? What seperates them from the rest of us that search for BF? An expert is someone that has accomplised the task at hand and there are none.

JM

If I'd been hunting something for decades - as Matt Moneymaker says he had - and I hadn't gotten one yet?

I sure as Hades wouldn't tell anyone.

That would be embarrassing.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic