(Speculation) Bigfoot Travel Via Streams And Creeks

Guest shoot1

Guest shoot1

From the 2001 BFRO report on Severn Run State Park in Maryland - a friend in high school, who used to live near the park, say that BF uses the stream as a corridor; they walk through there "all the time".

I think that is how they migrate through/around populated areas and I have been contemplating creating a map that illustrates this. I almost fell out of my chair while reading this report after having already come to that conclusion a few weeks ago. I came to this conclusion after examining maps of Maryland for any potential habitats / routes where I could sleep in my vehicle overnight and use it as a blind. (4 Dashcams, one each side of the vehicle) Many of the areas in Maryland with reported sightings (parks, forests, wilderness/game conservation areas) are connected by streams/ minor waterways as well as narrow greenways so I need to know if this is a new theory before I go through all of that effort.

SSR Team

I don't know a great deal about MD but i know in other parts of the Country they are thought to use waterways as a method of travel, for sure.

**** Dirty Ape has some fascinating insight where his thoughts on WA State watersheds are concerned, maybe search it out.

Edited by MikeG
Personal information removed

Guest BFSleuth

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum and other bigfoot sites about the concept that BF uses waterways, power lines, and railroad right of ways as travel corridors. If you google "BFRO streams" or "BFRO waterways" you will note there are a number of sighting reports along these areas.

Another tool that is invaluable for looking at geographic patterns of sighting reports is the BFRO layer for Google Earth. Go to their Map Tools page and download the GE layer. Next time you launch GE you will have a slider in the upper left corner, the slider is to show dates of sightings. Move the sliders to the right, then grab the left slider and start moving it to the left (back in time). You will start seeing bigfoot icons popping up. You can click through the icons to read the sighting reports. This is an excellent tool for surveying potential patterns and potential migration routes.

In the Boggy Creek movie they talk about them using the waterways.

Anybody that wants to do serious research needs to begin with a map analysis of their areas of interest. Get the 1:50,000 map for your research area and examine it for travel corridors, sheltered areas where they can rest, and vantage points where they can go to lurk.

Get an infantry officer or NCO, retired or otherwise, to look over your analysis when you're done. They'll have some additional insights.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I think this is a logical hypothesis for any animal that actually has to hunt and gather its own food, as calories are precious. I would think that moving through brush would consume more energy than traveling in an area that contains few obstacles or obstructions. I think there may even be a correlation to sasquatch CHOOSING to travel in thick brush and the distance they are from either their current home, humans, or their family at that particular time.

It seems to me that sasquatch, in order to evolve right next to modern man, would have to be highly specialized and avoid competition with us...This is why we cannot find them, as they obviously avoid us. If they didn't, they would have most likely either interbred with early man, or died out due to competition with him. Does anyone else think this is the most likely explanation for bigfoots' tendency to avoid us? Ever since man has been in North America, they have lived in groups. This makes people much easier to avoid, and has only gotten easier as time has elapsed, and as man has lost their wilderness instincts and skills.

What I am getting at is that we have to think like a sasquatch, in a way at least. Their movements are going to be structured around two main variables...Which path is easiest to take as far as expending energy, versus the likelihood of encountering humans or remaining hidden. So sasquatch should logically take the path of least resistance any time there is no chance of a human presence, or of exposing itself to anything it perceives as "dangerous." This may even involve avoiding other sasquatch in a specific area, if they indeed do that at times.

So any open area, like a creek-bed, will allow the animal to walk without expending the extra energy to push through or dodge limbs and brush. I would hypothesize that adolescent sasquatch calculate differently from older, more seasoned sasquatch, and will take more chances regarding exposing themselves. I know this is true for humans, because when I was younger I got in trouble for exposing myself, which I haven't done since I've gotten older. wait, bad example. Disregard.

So anyway, that is my take on the issue, which agrees with your hypothesis, which appears to be shared by many of us. Of course we can never know if all sasquatch behave in the same manner, etc. We don't know how centralized their instincts are either, so it is hard to calculate exactly how many of their decisions are based on actual calculation, and how many of their decisions are based on instinct. Choosing when and where to walk may or may not be based on intelligent calculation that takes consequences into account...Since I could see sheer instinct to avoid man as the driving force in choosing a certain path just as easily.

Guest shoot1

In the Boggy Creek movie they talk about them using the waterways.

Anybody that wants to do serious research needs to begin with a map analysis of their areas of interest. Get the 1:50,000 map for your research area and examine it for travel corridors, sheltered areas where they can rest, and vantage points where they can go to lurk.

Get an infantry officer or NCO, retired or otherwise, to look over your analysis when you're done. They'll have some additional insights.

I'm an Army vet and that's precisely how I approached this. Topos are in the mail. I'd rather have real maps than use google earth - its a pain in the ass to use as a reference. Nice to get ideas from but as far as refering back to it constantly? That's a no-go.

I've had a theory that the major waterways around here (Mississippi and St. Croix rivers) are used in this fashion. This is based on sightings near Alma WI, my class B experiences, stuff that Maggie encountered across the river from there, the sightings near Stillwater MN (one reported on FB/FB), a bunch of sightings above St. Croix Falls, on up to Moose Lake, MN, Grantsburg, WI, Danbury, WI, etc.

Jiggy is correct, By all accounts they are quite practical creatures. NOT using natural easements and waterways at least nominally under cover of darkness, or skirting their edges in daylight would not be practical at all. Streams, creeks and sloughs would also serve to hide their movements to a great degree; literally covering their tracks, especially if they are moving in numbers. But remember practicality is a two-edged sword, it can aid you and kill you if you are not careful. I'm sure Sasquatch has this down pat and operates accordingly. I have spent excrutiating hours in the Marines slugging through a swamp to move to an objective that could be reached in an hour by road on foot. I don't think the Easy way, or the Hard way is ALWAYS the Sasquatch way. Natural points of channelization are what to look for on the map, areas that even a creature with high mobility would find a challenge if not downright impossible to negotiate. In these areas their choices are limited and you should be able to locate solitary evenues of approach leading from one area into another. If they are indeed moving through, migrating or using the area at all, eventually they will be forced to these spots on the map.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Guest BFSleuth

If you look at Google Earth with the BFRO layer installed, look at the greater Chicago area. The sighting reports within a 25 mile radius of downtown Chicago are all connected to waterways.

BF has been observed to swim. Just google "BFRO swim" or "BFRO swimming" and read through the reports.

10¢ here. I believe they also travel the very top mountain range ridges- not wasting energy on the jagged, up & down of the sides of these ranges to migrate. They're like 'Bigfoot Highways'- level, unfettered, & even straight at times- and well above any reach from man... unlike the streams, rivers, canyons, etc at the lower elevations.

Guest shoot1

Jiggy is correct, By all accounts they are quite practical creatures. NOT using natural easements and waterways at least nominally under cover of darkness, or skirting their edges in daylight would not be practical at all. Streams, creeks and sloughs would also serve to hide their movements to a great degree; literally covering their tracks, especially if they are moving in numbers. But remember practicality is a two-edged sword, it can aid you and kill you if you are not careful. I'm sure Sasquatch has this down pat and operates accordingly. I have spent excrutiating hours in the Marines slugging through a swamp to move to an objective that could be reached in an hour by road on foot. I don't think the Easy way, or the Hard way is ALWAYS the Sasquatch way. Natural points of channelization are what to look for on the map, areas that even a creature with high mobility would find a challenge if not downright impossible to negotiate. In these areas their choices are limited and you should be able to locate solitary evenues of approach leading from one area into another. If they are indeed moving through, migrating or using the area at all, eventually they will be forced to these spots on the map.

Oorah, Tautriadelta. I ordered a few good old fashioned topo's to get a better handle on local terrain and I might order more. Looking at them online I found every single area of interest was connected by a waterway. I'm so convinced that I'm uncomfortable scouting these locations while unarmed - and Maryland is not gun friendly, so I'm considering posting time-lapse cameras in just one particular location in MD while focusing most of my efforts in VA. My two encounters were in VA and - regarding firearm licenses - VA is a "shall-issue" state for non-residents.

Guest BFSleuth

Regarding the issue of arming oneself, that may be of value. However, from my readings of sighting reports and listening to interviews of close contact they seem to be more aggressive when you have a gun.

I wish anyone looking for evidence of BF good luck and waterways have long been speculated as ideal corridors in the eastern woodlands and estuaries in particular for numerous reasons: ease of transit, availability of food, the need for water to drink, and the fact that humans so rarely travel along waterways these days ourselves. I think the last reason is a good one to keep in mind for anyone thinking that BF, if they exists, are actually increasing and moving into the East now that so few people actually live on the land away from cities and concentrations along major roadways, whereas humans used to dominate the eastern woodlands almost everywhere and wherever there was water especially for the last few thousand years.These days so much of the land, unless it is specifically being used intensely for agriculture, suburban tract housing, or some other mechanized activity is empty... and the creeks and drainages are almost always left undeveloped and un-visited (sometimes by law as watershed protection) except at a relatively few places like boat launches and well known fishing spots...and of course almost all wild or undeveloped land is entirely unexamined from dusk to dawn.

Guest shoot1

Regarding the issue of arming oneself, that may be of value. However, from my readings of sighting reports and listening to interviews of close contact they seem to be more aggressive when you have a gun.

I think this is a catch-22 in several ways. I don't think anyone has been aggressive enough to position them self in such a way that it could appear to a sasquatch as if they were being ambushed. When i signed up for this forum i did think one should be shot, thus my user name, but now i don't feel it would be ethical, and i think that good video or non-blobsquatch photos would be good enough. But i do think that if i were to have an encounter while stealthily setting up or retrieving cameras, possibly surprising a group, then i would definitely want to be armed at that time.

Edited by shoot1