Sasquatch Kills Hunter?

Guest Chefsquared

BFF Patron

I think it is possible that Tim Coonbo Baker may have confused the deadly incident/sighting with one in Montana that Todd Standing recounted about a bear hunter being delimbed and his early exploits re: Sylvanic (just a hunch) which was on C2C. I'll search for the 7-28-07 download in it's entirety. (the link I provided is pay per view/log-in, I know). The show is available at piratebay bit torrent.... (not something I recommend). There was another thread with a link to C2C shows recently where a woman passed out and awoke in a cave of BF's--it was a call-in show.....forget the link for those c2c downloads (but they were free).

Edited by bipedalist

Guest Chefsquared

Bipedalist, it's possible he may have confused it. If my memory serves me, I believe Coonbo spoke directly with guide about the attack. Anyways I am interested in that account if it is different...please keep me posted...thanks

Listened to the entire Coonba audio.........he said the attack was in Conejos or Rio Grande County Colorado in the mid 1980s..........I've researched and found nothing...............quite a few, shall we say, "interesting" stories on there (some VERY hard to believe).....great listenting though! (Boogers..lol)

Guest BFSleuth

Coonbo was adamant that he spoke to the guide and that it was in either Conejos or Rio Grande County Colorado in the 1980's. Note that he said at the time he was at White Sands, and they had a number of sightings (and problems) with BF in that area as well. He noted that when the guide told the story that he immediately recognized that he'd read about it in the local paper and that the paper reported it as a hunter getting killed by a bear.

Perhaps Tirademan can come to the rescue from his database of newspaper articles?

While the story is very interesting, I'm treating it as a good tale until there is some kind of corroboration.

He talked about while at White Sands, there were alot of reports east of there on the Mescalero Rez.....that area is pretty awesome!!

BFF Patron

Colorado's reported first fatal black bear attack didn't occur until 1971 (at least those publicized). I'm sure they would have attributed a kill such as that to a Brown bear. Durango newspaper archives would have been picked up on by people such as Herrero in the Bear Attack's book. Since it does not seem to have been, I have to conclude that this one is not panning out. Perhaps it was reported as suspected animal attack other than bear. Durango Herald or Valley Courier in Alamosa would be the closest papers to those counties.

Edited by bipedalist

Coonbo was adamant that he spoke to the guide and that it was in either Conejos or Rio Grande County Colorado in the 1980's. Note that he said at the time he was at White Sands, and they had a number of sightings (and problems) with BF in that area as well. He noted that when the guide told the story that he immediately recognized that he'd read about it in the local paper and that the paper reported it as a hunter getting killed by a bear.

Perhaps Tirademan can come to the rescue from his database of newspaper articles?

While the story is very interesting, I'm treating it as a good tale until there is some kind of corroboration.

Treating it as a good tale is probably the safest bet. I have a very hard time believing that the guide saw another mans head ripped off and his first reaction was to throw his wepon away while running. I have recently been reading a lot of historical accounts of african safari guides in the early 1900's and in all the stories of animals charging, attacking and mauling thses men, none of them ever threw their wepon and tried to run. It's a bit of a strech I know but I just do not see an experienced hunting guide throwing the one thing that he may have used to defend his life. Especially if the second BF rushed down the hill with such speed, he had to know he would never out run it. JMO

I read a report about two ladies who hired an Oregon trail guide. A BF came out on the trail and the guide shot it. The BF ripped the guide apart and left the ladies alone. The ladies ran to a forest service center. A report came out later claiming the guide was mauled by a bear regardless of what the ladies claimed to be the work of BF.

Guest Strick

I listened to the interview too. It was terrifically good fun regardless of whether or not the stories are actually true - although I suppose that's kind of important!

I have heard Coonbo in interview before, but not for a couple of years. To be honest, I've never known what to make of the guy, he's obviously very personable and intelligent and he's not making up the stories as he goes along, however some of the tales could be honed by years of retelling and just trip lightly off the tongue by now. It's a shame he's not a member of this forum, or is he?

My favourite story was the one of the security video that Coonbo viewed from Edwards Air Base, from the days when the space shuttle would come down there. He claimed that the footage was clear enough to make out Saquatches individually and than they even had names for them. He said that when a shuttle was due to land the guys had instructions to go out there and clear away any stray hairy folk from the runway, to save the Squatches from getting run over and to prevent the world's media from filming them if they did! That one takes a bit of believing!

That's insane if true. I always figured when a person sees a squatch, there's another hidden, watching and something like this would happen if anyone tried to kill one.

Not picking on you, Philly, but this is a cornerstone of the lore of the 'squatch. Here's some more:

If you down a creature, its family members/group will immediately rip you to shreds.

Dogs are terrified of them.

They perfectly mimic more common creature's sounds.

They know when humans have good intentions toward them.

They sense and avoid trail cameras.

That the creatures are sooooo difficult to spot that only fearless, experienced, intrepid "researchers" can find bigfoot, and often times only by studying film/video and not live, in the field, real time.

The creatures adopt a quadrupedal mode to run faster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some observations. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Guest BFSleuth
I read a report about two ladies who hired an Oregon trail guide. A BF came out on the trail and the guide shot it. The BF ripped the guide apart and left the ladies alone. The ladies ran to a forest service center. A report came out later claiming the guide was mauled by a bear regardless of what the ladies claimed to be the work of BF.

I remember reading that report as well. If I recall correctly the man was walking ahead of the women on a trail when a BF charged downhill through small trees, he shot it several times before it got to him and tore him apart. The women ran away, reported what happened, the authorities didn't believe her and put it down as a bear attack....

... and again when you try to find a fatal bear attack in news archives or databases it isn't there... hmmmm

I have a very hard time believing that the guide saw another mans head ripped off and his first reaction was to throw his wepon away while running. I have recently been reading a lot of historical accounts of african safari guides in the early 1900's and in all the stories of animals charging, attacking and mauling thses men, none of them ever threw their wepon and tried to run.

I've worked as a mountain climbing guide and I expect the same code of ethic applies to hunting guides. They have a gun for a few reasons, like making a clean kill if their client doesn't make a clean kill, and certainly as back up to protect their client!! For a climbing guide you are always first up and last off the mountain and client safety is paramount. It should absolutely be the first and last instinct for a hunting guide to be there to back up their client.

I find it very hard to believe that he threw down his gun and ran away as his first instinct, or that he would willingly volunteer this information to strangers. If it were me I would be ashamed to tell the story, and would probably not be a guide anymore. Speaking for myself I would not want to hire such a guide.

Not picking on you, Philly, but this is a cornerstone of the lore of the 'squatch. Here's some more:

If you down a creature, its family members/group will immediately rip you to shreds.

Dogs are terrified of them.

They perfectly mimic more common creature's sounds.

They know when humans have good intentions toward them.

They sense and avoid trail cameras.

That the creatures are sooooo difficult to spot that only fearless, experienced, intrepid "researchers" can find bigfoot, and often times only by studying film/video and not live, in the field, real time.

The creatures adopt a quadrupedal mode to run faster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some observations. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

......ok

It's hard for me to believe the story because if a shooter shoots and drops a bigfoot, I would expect the other one to run off rather than charge the shooter. Isn't that how animals behave?

Guest BFSleuth

^ I don't think that's necessarily true. Shooting a bear cub with a mother nearby or a lion with a pride nearby is something I would think might very well result in attack rather than flight. I wouldn't want to shoot a gorilla if the dominant silverback is nearby. Animal behavior can take unexpected turns, which is why a hunting guide is supposed to be there as back up.

Guest Coonbo
Possibly in CO. Tim "Coonbo"Baker told of a story about a guide taking a hunter out on a trip. The hunter saw a BF and shot it and it went down. Another BF ran from nowhere to the hunter. His rifle jammed and couldn't get another round off. Meanwhile, the guide drops his gun and runs, while running he turns to see the 2nd Sasquatch take the hunters head off... Made the newspapers as a bear attack.. Very interesting story, Coonbo was told by the guide himself Anyone know of this and any info on it? Or any other reports that are similar.

Hi Folks,

Heard from a friend about this thread. Right now I don't have time to discuss it much further, because I'm about to walk out the door on a trip that will have me away from my computer until Monday. When I'm back, I'll be glad to tell some more background about this report which, at the time, I labled "Improbable/Unlikely". I gave it less than 15% probability of being true. However, some 15 years later, I learned some things that caused me to remember this long-forgotten report and has had me wondering if there wasn't much more to it than I had initially thought.

And as someone pointed out, the guy's actions certainly didn't reflect the actions of some of the true professionals that I've come to know about since then. It is true that the guy that told me this story, firsthand, called himself a "guide", and he earned money as a "guide" in his spare time, but he certainly wasn't up to the standards of what I now know and expect out of a true professional guide.

Anyway..... Gotta go now. Will be back Monday.

Coonbo

Edited by Coonbo