Sasquatch Kills Hunter?

Guest Chefsquared

FarArcher, Some people are just here to heckle anyone whom they believe to be a proponent.  It adds nothing to the discourse. 

There was nothing wrong to bumping this thread.  It's sad that one person jumped in attempting to stifle discourse.

FarArcher, Some people are just here to heckle anyone whom they believe to be a proponent.  It adds nothing to the discourse. 

There was nothing wrong to bumping this thread.  It's sad that one person jumped in attempting to stifle discourse.

Yeah, I'm starting to catch on.  I'm not a licensed proctologist, but I know 'em when I see 'em. 

Just a guess, but it seems like some really experienced, knowledgeable posters got tired of this kind of thing and just about abandoned posting here.  Some really informative, fill-in-the-blank posters can be found in older threads - but are no longer here.

Anyone here know how to get in touch with Timberghost or Coonbo?  Some mighty informed gentlemen.

Hello FarArcher,

Perhaps a PM or three to each? Even though not actively posting some still come by to see how things are here. If they log in as well then they'll see the PM's- IF they don't see your reaching out beforehand that is.

Timberghost still posts on the gcbro message board from time to time.

Coonbo.....well he doesn't post there anymore.

Edited by Martin

Stifle the discourse? What discourse? What new information is there to add at this point? Please dear sir or ma'am, tell me what new information is out there to add to the discourse?

What I hate to see is the bumping of dead threads simply because there's nothing new out there.

JDL you've no insight into my motivations and pretending that you do is laughable.

Stifle the discourse? What discourse? What new information is there to add at this point? Please dear sir or ma'am, tell me what new information is out there to add to the discourse?

What I hate to see is the bumping of dead threads simply because there's nothing new out there.

JDL you've no insight into my motivations and pretending that you do is laughable.

You're a class act.

Oh.  And I know your motivations.

As a new member I found this thread interesting.  Thanks for bringing it up FarArcher. 

I do find these types of reports hard to believe.  Putting an object that has different forms like a firearm as something a BF recognizes just doesnt make too much sense to me at all.  A pistol and a rifle are completely different and I just dont understand where a BF could have gotten "training" on these items.

1 more post and I will finally be able to ask some questions that I have been wanting to ask on my own thread!

As a new member I found this thread interesting.  Thanks for bringing it up FarArcher. 

I do find these types of reports hard to believe.  Putting an object that has different forms like a firearm as something a BF recognizes just doesnt make too much sense to me at all.  A pistol and a rifle are completely different and I just dont understand where a BF could have gotten "training" on these items.

1 more post and I will finally be able to ask some questions that I have been wanting to ask on my own thread!

Good for you.  I'll look forward to that!

I will mention a couple things to consider.  Maybe a couple possibilities. 

Any deer hunter knows that the day deer season opens, the deer change their behavior - almost like they have a calendar marked.  Another poster in another thread went into greater detail, as someone did a study and found this to be true.  So.  How do the deer know something has changed in their environment?  More intrusions?  More movement?  Intuition?  It's not known why, but it is known to be a real phenomenon.

I used to live in Alaska.  On Kodiak Island, there's a significant population of Kodiak bears - carefully managed in terms of numbers, and only a limited number are permitted to be taken each season - thus the premium for a Kodiak hunt.  When you shoot a Kodiak bear, you have to work fast. 

Rather than the rifle shot(s) scaring off other nearby bears, that rifle shot they have learned - is the dinner bell ringing.  They have learned that at the point of the shot, there's a big gut pile waiting for their dining pleasure.  So you guy, skin, and pack fast while keeping a good lookout over your shoulder.  It's counter-intuitive, but that's the way it works.  Through experience and sometimes observation, even animals can learn things they can anticipate. 

Hunters each year push into very remote areas for the purpose of taking game - deer, elk, bears, etc.  They carry long guns.  The long guns make a loud noise, and nearby, an animal drops.  Also, a gut pile shows up.

If we assume these critters are intelligent - which I subscribe to - they observe intelligently.  Some may have been shot at themselves, maybe hit.  If these critters are intelligent, and if they likewise have a type of language for communicating, it would be no mean feat to spread the word and have a healthy respect for long guns.  In addition, if legends in North America have validity, there were significant wars between these critters and mankind a few hundred years ago, even up to the early nineteenth century - one they lost, and mankind pretty much won.  Another reason to be cautious around humans.

The Summer on the mountain, I always carried a long gun, and never saw a thing.  The one time I got in a hurry to run someone up the mountain a bit higher for phone reception - I only had my sidearm and forgot to grab my long gun.

Well I'll be KMA, that was when I was interrupted and growled at by one, and then here comes another big one running at me.  The one time I left camp without a long gun.  Coincidence?  Very possibly.

I know it's much easier to believe these are plain old animals, with much lower intelligence than us.  But I don't believe that.  So I can see how this intelligence would allow the many reports of critters taking off when they spot a long gun.  One story I read was of a kid who spotted one, and grabbed his BB gun.  Upon seeing the BB gun, it took off.  Coincidence?  Very possibly.

I just don't believe in coincidences.

Your motivation is immaterial because the effect you have on both veteran and new posters through persistent harassment is apparent.  If you were interjecting anything of value into the discussion, I'd have no argument, but you rarely do so.  Most often you simply belittle anyone whose opinion, beliefs, or first hand knowledge differ from your own.

It's not a behavior that I can admire.

I'm not looking for your admiration or your approval.

Dredging up old threads and adding nothing new to the topic, I feel, is detrimental; it detracts and muddies the waters . I asked the member who did this why they did this. If they had some, new information, a new angle at which to look at the topic, some reason other than to congratulate those who'd contributed 3 years ago.. The member, apparently, did not as they have added nothing of import.

Asking why isn't harassment, it's curiosity.

Hello Bodhi,

It also succeeds in derailing this thread, old or not. In other words, I find your "curiosity" reason to be not that well supported. Since you've already received your answer to that inquiry your continuing here then becomes questionable. My opinion only. And you're going to be rather busy policing all the threads that get "bumped" with nothing new added. 

And yes, I'm also off topic.   

Edited by hiflier

I do apologize for the derail. But, as there is nothing new to add to the thread in terms of actual information, the damage is minimal. Have a great week Hiflier.