Bears.. Are They Afraid Of Sasquatch (Top Alpha Predators)?

First, watch this documentary, skip to 1:00 to see the encounter where a bear apparently runs away "fast" from a Sasquatch. It begs the question, is Sasquatch the top alpha predator, and also, could a bear be put in danger when in the presence of a Sasquatch?

BTW, Monsters & Mysteries in Alaska is an excellent documentary, a must watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2lNErAnDxo

Black bears would definitely be scared of Sasquatch. They are usually scared of humans. So are grizzly bears for that matter. Now make us 8 feet tall, 800 pounds, and hairy, and I think any smart bear is going to be scared. I'm sure a few Grizzlies have gone up against a Sasquatch before but I think it would be a really close matchup. I don't think a Sasquatch is just going to rip off a grizzly bear's head or break it's neck very easily.

P.S. I love that drawing in Patterson's book of the Grizzly vs. Sasquatch.

If the bear is as big as they claimed in the video, my money would be on the bear if they were to mix it up. One slap across the melon and ol'Sasquatch would be looking out of the back of his head. Be cool to see from the boat though.

A griz will stand 8' tall when on hind legs. Just about the height of most encounter BF's. No head popping on the griz, but a good size bite on BF I would think. Perhaps the bear in the video had an encounter with another BF(s) and lost; and that is why the bear took off as fast as they do in a Nascar restart.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I don't know all that much about bears, but I would think that many of them would shy away from people. But, I think there are quite a few bears who don't fear humans, and who do not run away. But a sasquatch...I would think that most bears would treat a human-sized sasquatch the same way as it does a human. But, if the sasquatch is large I would think the bear may realize this and shy away from it. Or they may know that sasquatch are not humans, and that they live in the woods, and knowing this they leave them alone.

I think that sasquatch avoids bears a lot as well, and they shouldn't have a problem with each other unless there is some dispute over food resources or territory. I have been thinking that sasquatch are very territorial creatures when it comes to their young and their nesting grounds, which probably change quite often, and because of this they will frighten bears out of these areas if they do enter them. But I think the bear would get the message very quickly, if it didn't already smell or sense the sasquatch in the first place, and leave in a hurry.

I highly doubt that sasquatch would hunt bears for food or anything. We call sasquatch the alpha predator because it can basically kill any other animals that dwell in the forests, but I do not think that sasquatch kill large mammals all that often. Fighting, for an intelligent animal of that size, will consume a lot of energy, therefore it has to be justified. If they can scare something away as opposed to fighting it, they will do so in my opinion. And other animals are probably much better at knowing when sasquatch are around compared with humans, so they could have even less run ins than we do. I think something along these lines is the most likely explanation of how sasquatch interact with other wild animals, but of course we won't know for some time to come.

SSR Team

That Python >> Gator goes both ways, maybe the same could be said for Bears >> Sasquatch.

• 2 months later...

I'd imagine they practice mutual avoidance, that's what most large predators in the same ecosystem do. They both know they can kill each other, so they stay out of each others way. They probably predate each others young and scavenge on each others corpses and kills.

Guest FootDude

I'd imagine they practice mutual avoidance, that's what most large predators in the same ecosystem do. They both know they can kill each other, so they stay out of each others way.

This was my first thought as well.

I agree they probably would try avoid each other. I think that BF would easily prevail over any bear he encounters. He'd use an oak branch the way Babe Ruth used a bat. The bear would attack, BF would adroitly sidestep such attack, pivot and break the bear's back with one goliathian swipe of an 8" oak branch.

Bye bye birdy, aaah bear.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I agree they probably would try avoid each other. I think that BF would easily prevail over any bear he encounters. He'd use an oak branch the way Babe Ruth used a bat. The bear would attack, BF would adroitly sidestep such attack, pivot and break the bear's back with one goliathian swipe of an 8" oak branch.

Bye bye birdy, aaah bear.

:nono:

• masterbarber locked this topic