Bears.. Are They Afraid Of Sasquatch (Top Alpha Predators)?

Sasquatch encounter reports are very consistent on one thing: the very marked muscularity of the animal the witness is seeing.

I don't have any doubt that a bear encountering a sasquatch - or the other way around - would think twice about prosecuting the matter unless desperate from hunger (which isn't helping the odds itself, right off the bat).

In the report from AK that I refer to above, the witnesses were watching a huge brown placidly grazing along the shore. He suddenly perked up, and made tracks, fast. Looking in the other direction the witnesses saw the sasquatch, which just as suddenly turned tail and did the same. Nothing in the report gives any impression that either animal was reacting to the boat; the clear impression is that they got wind of each other.

But isn't one of the reasons to encourage mainstream involvement in this - after somehow wiping the Stench of Matilda off the field, among other things - to get answers to questions like this?

Edited by DWA

I don't agree. If we were insanely fragile we would not be the most successful mammal to ever grace the surface of the earth. During the Pleistocene era our numbers were very low, and before that even lower with other species of hominids. Today our species numbers 7 billion.......we didn't get there by being a constant staple on the predator's menu. We filled the niche of top predator. And that holds true no matter where we went on earth.

But that defeats your own argument. You've already said that you would rather face 10 homo sapiens armed with spears than one Squatch. If Squatch was that formidable and that smart? We would not be the top species on the continent.......they would be. We would be naked hiding out in the mountains while they enjoyed living on prime, rich valleys and river ways.

You cannot have it both ways. Strong AND smart defeats weak and smart every time. Therefore? Logic dictates that they are no where near as smart as we are. And yes a nocturnal, passive, shy APE with a low population density could have eluded us. That's how they diffused the situation with us They stay out of our way, they give ground, they are non confrontational.........and yet this same animal rips apart a Grizzly bear? Very hard to wrap my head around. The Griz population is in the condition it is in BECAUSE it's confrontational....... aggressive, territorial and a threat to humanity. It's a half ton buzz saw wrecking machine towards a human.

So if a Squatch kills Grizzly bears with impunity, and a Grizzly bear kills humans with impunity? Then Why doesn't a Squatch kill a human with impunity? Why don't we observe this? Why do humans get a free pass? Sure there are some tales of Squatch's killing humans.........but no where near the evidence of Griz killing humans........this is a yearly occurance from Alaska to Wyoming.

I don't think you know the Squatch as well as you think you do.

No. I could not kill a full size Brown bear if I was 800 lbs.......not without some serious weapons. Something long and sharp. If the bear was determined......I would die.

bart-the-bear-01.jpg

Well a freakin giant bear certainly doesn't have a neck either. But what he does have that a Squatch doesn't is a protruding snout loaded full of very large sharp teeth.

Bart.jpg

I certainly know which animal I would rather get bitten by.......and it ain't the freakin Griz..........that's for sure.

Evidently these Indians did not live on Kodiak Island nor coastal Alaska or Siberia..........

And I know of ONE story of a Brown bear running away from a Sasquatch, and we are not even positive why the bear ran away. Maybe the bear ran away when he winded the humans in the boat........which by the way is a popular hunting tactic in SE Alaska.

We are fragile imo, full grown men get their butts kicked by deer. In this very thread a point was made that a wolverine (=/= 30lbs) would give a person that work. In Panama one of my soldiers got the snot slapped out him by a 20lb monkey and wanted nothing else to do with it. Face it, we have been domesticated.

You're still thinking from a domesticated mans point of view. If I were 8ft and 800lbs of pure muscle, there's no mammal on Earth that could box with me! I'm thinking from a pure savage point of view.

In the pic you provided the bear on it's hind legs is about 8ft tall I suppose, and observe the girth. A BF should be about eye to eye with it and even broader across the chest. A really big squatch would be even bigger. Remember fighting bears don't fight for duration on their hindlegs so the squatch would tower over it. All it has to do is keep the bear at bay and rain thunderous blows on the bears neck.

Would a squatch be able to bench what.........2000lbs? It may be able to toss the bear around like a man can do a dog. They may even have the bone density and muscle to survive forcing their arm down a bears throat! Are they smart enough to shove their thumbs in a bears eyes?

Perhaps squatch not hunting us too extinction is another testament to their intelligence? They may not even take us serious...

Bearing in mind we don't know all that much about monkees compared to any other big predator currently operational, my guess is were a big grizzly or brownie to fight a more or less equally heavy/sized monkee, the bear probably would win most of the time. My thought is that the big bears (not blacks, who can get ugly if it's going their way) are wired to be aggressive. I was once told by a biologist why they think they evolved this way, but it would take a lot of bandwidth. Big bear attacks resulting in mauling or human fatalities are pretty common, and an earlier poster put up some pics of the result of bear on bear fights that would turn some stomachs, showing that they fight between themselves often, and are amazingly tough animals. They are built for the fight, where it seems monkees are more built for survival by way of hiding & flight...

Grizzlies are wired that way because they evolved in open space with no cover for retreat so they evolved to attack. So if BF evolved in heavily forested areas with plenty of opportunity for retreat maybe that explains why their not attack on sight creatures.

We don't know how savage a BF can be with certainty, when pressed. I'll say this, I'd hate to witness it. I think it may not be too far to say their fury would be similar to the Hulk. For all we know are they strong enough to grab a bears leg and break it or rip it off?

A kick from some prey animals can seriously hurt or kill a predator (zebra and lions), this shows that wild creatures all have power, why wouldn't a BF have this power as it's wild? A blow from the hard fist of a BF maybe as deadly as a kick from a giraffe, it may be strong enough to break a bears neck. This all feeds into BF being bipedal and having near or actual human intelligence.

^^^^Lots to talk about here, but my focus is on bigfoot being wild (and yep, soldier, 20-lb. monkeys too). And us, well, not.

An adult chimpanzee is stronger than an NFL lineman by so much the comparison is almost funny, unless you are in a cage with the chimp and he's angry.

And a bigfoot is,....er....how much bigger than an adult chimpanzee? And in an environment that doesn't provide as much food as easily as a tropical one does. And some pretty, well, hairy competition.

Grizzly bears have been found with their lower jaws almost twisted off...and no sign of another bear. Trapper John, maybe?

The forest-evolution thing may well play into it. That standard take on griz vs. black bear evolution seems to be borne out by my experience. I have had numerous encounters with black bears (try: cub up a tree two feet from you; mom 100 feet away, staring at you...and that was one of the least tense) where a griz would have...well, I might not be here now.

In nature, when one can avoid a pointless fight...one better.

Norseman in the above bear pics, is that Bart the Bear? He played in many movies, on his hind legs he was 6 inches shy of 10 feet and weighed 1500 pounds. Most bears dont get quite that big in the wild but its certainly not uncommon on kodiak to get above 1000 lbs.

As far as dog vs human goes a Malinois police dog typically weighs 65-70. They have been known to make many big criminals tap out fast. Most humans are probably twice as big or more and probably much stronger but, will, drive and teeth can be the great equalizer.

• 4 years later...

Evidence, mainly from Alaska, says:  sasquatch will prey on black bear.  They and browns tend to give each other a wide berth, something I'd consider mutually wise.

Edited by DWA

• masterbarber locked this topic