Favorite Flashlights & Spotlights

Guest MrMudder

Guest Mudder

I realize that flashlights and spotlights are pretty much frowned upon for squatching, but I'm just curious of what all you all's favorite lighting is. Halogen vs LED vs flourescent.

I recently bought an LED Mini Maglite AAx2 and I love it. It's my second LED flashlight ever. My first was a pricey small AAx1 light that eventually got glitchy with the twist on/off (I'd have to hit it against my palm to get it to turn on). I'm considering an LED Maglite Cx2 or Dx2 flashlight (makes charging batteries more convienient in pairs). The only thing I don't like about the Maglites is the "twist-on/off" using both hands. I'm in the market for a very high-powered LED or flourescent spotlight too, if anybody has any suggestions. Lanterns are also an open discussion here too.

Thanks,

Mudder

Oh good God...I have at least 13-15 flashlights for field use; from tiny led zipper clip lights to single AAA red lights for night ops and up to a 200+ lumen Surefire light for generally lighting up the night when I need to. One thing I've learned is that you get what you pay for, nothing seems be break down sooner than a knock-off flashlight when it's actually dark out.

My favorite is likely the Surefire G2X; tough as nails, works everytime and bright as the sun, but cheaper than their tactical models:

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=surefire

Edited by OregonMan

My favorite light, currently,is a Stanley that splits into three,or can open its own tripod and stand, as well as directional heads. Its not expensive, but its very bright, is easy on batteries, since its LED, and it just rocks.

Guest Mudder

@OregonMan, that's a lot of lights to be carrying around in the timber ;). I'd like to hear about the little ones too, although I think the mini-mini's are a dime a dozen. I recently got a couple mini-mini's free with my Crosman catalog, and they are crap. Although I've a few of the like that run on lithium batteries that were awesome.

@JohnC, are you talking about a spotlight? I'm in the market for a budget high-powered spotlight and I've been looking at the Stanley's and Coleman and etc.

I'm a believer in carrying 3 or 4 lights, for all different purposes.

Should I purchase a Cx2 or Dx2 (or Cx3 or Dx3, or x4) LED Maglite?

What are your your opinions about "twist-on" lights? I have found that they should last a lifetime vs "click-on" lights.

Edit: Specifically, what's all your all's opinions about Maglite? -- All the cops use them, why shouldn't we?

Edited by Mudder

Guest Mudder

I much much much prefer not to use a flashlight. Instead I would rather use a headlamp. Headlamps leave both hands free. The Petzl Tactikka LED is a good choice.

I agree. I have a couple Energizer LED headlamps. But, I guess I'm talking about it all now... :/

Edit: We all need a flashlight and headlamp and lantern and etc. Open discussion. I guess that my main question in main thread was LED flashlights, but go right ahead with all other lighting sources. I'm game.

Edited by Mudder

Guest BFSleuth

I think LED's are good for the job. If I'm doing anything outdoors, be it hiking, climbing, or bigfooting, then I want both hands free... hence my strong preference for headlamp. The Petzl lasts all night on 3 AAA batteries. Enough to climb Mt. Rainier with the typical midnight start.

Guest Mudder

I hear ya, @BFSleuth. I love my Walmart Energizer LED headlamps. Makes for gathering firewood (and wood in general) easy to carry back to campsite. I use plenty of rechargeable Energizer batteries and Energizer brand battery chargers, but have never got up to a C or D charger. Any more opinions on the big C or D LED Maglites?

Another main question of mine, again, is of a very high powered cost-effective spot light...

I just purchased a Stanley FatMax hand held LED spotlight. It uses a lithium ion rechargeable internal battery. It has a 10 watt LED and produces 2000 lumens, yes that's two thousand lumens, much more powerful than my Surefire tactical light or any Maglite or streamlight that I've ever worked with. In a word AWESOME! The best part is it was only $49.95 at our local Walmart.

another thing or two of note is due to the lithium batt the light is light weight compared to lead acid batteries in other conventional halogen spotlights. It also is supposed to run 72 minutes per charge at full power.

@OregonMan, that's a lot of lights to be carrying around in the timber ;). I'd like to hear about the little ones too, although I think the mini-mini's are a dime a dozen. I recently got a couple mini-mini's free with my Crosman catalog, and they are crap. Although I've a few of the like that run on lithium batteries that were awesome. I'm a believer in carrying 3 or 4 lights, for all different purposes. Should I purchase a Cx2 or Dx2 (or Cx3 or Dx3, or x4) LED Maglite? What are your your opinions about "twist-on" lights? I have found that they should last a lifetime vs "click-on" lights. Edit: Specifically, what's all your all's opinions about Maglite? -- All the cops use them, why shouldn't we?

I don't pack all my lights with me on every trip I choose depending on the trip. :^)

I keep a Fenix E05 on my keychain, it's a fantastic little “when you need it now†light.

I have a bunch of Nite Ize small LED lights attached to the zippers of various equipment bags for finding stuff in the dark.

For a head lamp this is my current favorite, it's always on my head at night when I'm out "in the field", or just camping: http://www.amazon.co...=petzl+headlamp

I use the Surefire as my main go to light and I have a Coast dual white/red light as a backup. http://www.amazon.co...coast+white+red

I like Maglites just fine, I converted my old non LED AA ones to red lenses to use during night ops. I have an older AAA single cell incandescent that I put a red lens on that I keep on a neck chain that I use as my “woken up in the middle of the night†light. The tiny red light is perfect of lighting up stuff at night and not killing night vision.

I have several newer Maglight LED AAs around the house for, well around-the-house lights and I have big Maglight D cell lights in all our vehicles to use as emergency lights.

Edited by OregonMan

Good to know there are others who collect flashlights.......I could outfit an army, and everyone would have his own light. Drives the wifey crazy, but she has her shoe/purse collection.

After reading the posts, I'll be buying more too:)

Thanks for opening this thread Mudder.........great suggestions above!

Good to know there are others who collect flashlights.......I could outfit an army, and everyone would have his own light. Drives the wifey crazy, but she has her shoe/purse collection.

After reading the posts, I'll be buying more too:)

Thanks for opening this thread Mudder.........great suggestions above!

Yes sir I am also a flashlight addict. Never can have enough flashlights thats for sure. For some reason though this spring and summer my flashlight collection has taken a hit. I hardly ever loose one but lately I have lost several and had a streamlight that I carried all the time go out on me. Time to restock my supply!

Guest Mudder

Yes sir I am also a flashlight addict. Never can have enough flashlights thats for sure. For some reason though this spring and summer my flashlight collection has taken a hit. I hardly ever lose one but lately I have lost several and had a streamlight that I carried all the time go out on me. Time to restock my supply!

Agreed. I haven't seen a "Flashlight & Spotlight" post in BFF 2.0, so I thought I'd ask.

P.S. I just spent more good money on a 3 AA Mini Maglite LED (difficult to hold in mouth, but BRIGHT) and a triple C Maglite LED. I just despise the "twist" aspect of them all. I'm still game for a spotlight. I liked the Stanley posts above, although I want more than 75-ish minutes from a spotlight (I'd like to use a home re-charger for batteries). etc.

Edited by Mudder

One good thing about the twist is that it won't turn on in your pack or pocket and drain the battery. I've had push button flashlights do that. I also have twist MagLights that are at least 25 years old and have never had a failure (aside from bulbs).

Can't say that about some of the newer knock off Chinese "fancy" LED systems.

Check this site out, they have some great flashlights. I have a few from this place, including the 18 million candle power 'Thor X Colossus'........this thing is crazy insane powerful, with strict warnings about spotting aircraft & cars.

www.cyclopssolutions.com