Favorite Flashlights & Spotlights

Guest MrMudder

I thought 72 min. for the Stanley spotlight was astounding at that power level. Most other spotlights that I've owned (Q-beams, HID Stanley, and such) use sealed lead acid battery tech. which makes them heavy and limits them to about 15-20 minutes usage between recharge unless using them as a corded light from your veh. or other power source. I've compared the Stanley to my Streamlight rechargable police flashlight (mod Sl-20 I believe) It uses a rechargable stick batt. and a halogen bulb. It's a great light but the Stanley blows it into the weeds as far as light output goes.

Are you looking for a spotlight that uses rechargable D-cells? If thats the case I don't know of anything approaching the 2000 lumen power level of the Stanley. I have one of the excelent Mag-Lite 3-D LED flashlights that stays in my Police car as a backup. I don't know how it would do with rechargabe batts. but it will run for ages on one set of standard Duracells.

Like a lot of the folks on this thread I'm a bit of a flashlight addict. We use the RayOvac sportsman and Coleman D-cell LED lanterns to light up our "base camp" while out squatching but that's another thread.

Guest wudewasa

LED headlamp with different settings and a red LED function. Have a backup and extra batteries, then a 3 D cell mag light. It's great to use for greater illumination, and one heck of a defensive weapon if needed!

Guest Mudder

Edit:

I need to edit:

I said above that I purchased a 3C LED Maglite. I don't know what I was thinking but I mistyped. 'Twas a 3D LED Maglite I bought. P.S. I like the cop's opinion :) My dad was a cop :)

Another Edit:

I should also point out that I'm investing many of dollars into Energizer chargers & batteries. It started out with flashlights and camping and etc, and Nintendo Wii, and they've held up awesome. You really do need to label the rechargeables though so you know what you have & how many times you've charged a pair. Label them & rotate them (especially if you have odd numbers of batts in any specific thingy -- example: a 3 D-cell Maglite). You'll save money, IMO (if you don't include the electric bill, which I haven't mastered yet). I've had better luck with long-runs with the rechargeables than with stock plain batteries. I haven't done a report yet but, I'm sure one is Google-able.

LED headlamp with different settings and a red LED function. Have a backup and extra batteries, then a 3 D cell mag light. It's great to use for greater illumination, and one heck of a defensive weapon if needed!

I agree. Must have a "red light" for tracing blood and seeing eyes. Open discussion for all types of lighting.

When I first started squatching, I purchased a bunch of different kinds of flashlights, laterns, headlamps, etc. Each requiring batteries and backup batteries, which I found are freaking heavy. After many trips, I've gotten rid of all but one headlamp and a pen light. I'm now very comfortable in the dark and realized I was bringing along a bunch of heavy equipment I didn't need.

I have a blacklight flashlight. I tried it. I do not recommend using it in the forest at night because it just makes everything look so freakin' weird and SCARY!

Guest Mudder

Yeah, I'm a fan of my propane Coleman dual-mantle lantern for basecamp, although I find myself using flashlights more. I really don't like fuel lanterns. I have an old Thermos fuel lantern from 1970 that I stopped using because I have the fear of it exploding with the gasoline, haha. The "ufo" LED light hanging in the tent works well too.

And, lol, I wouldn't wanna use a blacklight in the woods either! lol.

Edited by Mudder

Guest Mudder

I was just looking at Maglite's website at their flashlights http://www.maglite.com/productline.asp and was looking at all the specs. I noticed something huge. On the D-powered lights, there's a vast difference between the 2D and 3D LED lights...

The 2D only has 8 hours of life versus the 3D that has 79 hours. http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp

...That's a heck of a difference in life. And the lumens and distance aren't much of a difference. Seeing this, I'm glad I got the 3D!

And with the AA LED flashlights, I see there's some "Pro" versions. But I'm not a fan of those, seeing as they only have about 2 hours of life, although much brighter.

I hope this helps anybody before getting an LED Maglite.

P.S. Walmart has a camo version of the 3D LED on sale too :Dhttp://www.walmart.com/ip/MAG-Instrument-Maglite-LED-3D-Flashlight/19394214

Edited by Mudder

Thanks for the link Mudder, I hadn't checked out Maglite in a while. Looks like they've got some interesting new products. I guess due to my LE background I usually go for the most power available and tend not to pay a great lot of attention to battery life. I knew my 3-D LED had an unusually long duration, but 79 hrs, WOW!

I think I'm going to look for one of the Mini Maglite Pro or Pro+ LEDs, wonder what the damage will be?

Guest Mudder

You really want a Pro or Pro+? The battery life is terrible, although their "advertised" lumens on those Pro and Pro+ AA LED lights have some bragging rights.

Guest Darrell

I always carry my Surfire E2D when Im out. Compact and powerfull. I would like to get a E2 LED Outdoorsman so I can get a little better run time but I can get the batteries for free so it hasnt been a big deal.

PIzXAl.jpg

I am a HUGE fan of Fenix brand torches and lamps. I would never spend the money on overpriced, under-performing Surefire lights again. If you haven't ordered a modern high performance LED light such as O-light, JetBeam, or Fenix.......you don't know what you are missing. The price to performance ratio for these flashlights are outstanding, not to mention how economical the rechargeable lithium ion batteries such as 18650's are for folks like me who use them daily.

Don't waste your money on LED lights from big-box or sporting goods stores, they don't use the same technology as the better companies.

Go over to "candlepower forums" and start reading!!!!

:laugh: Oh believe me, they've gotten plenty of my money, and I'll give Surefire an A+ for build quality and reliability. BUT.... Surefire was like Bell telephone, endless slight revisions of the same featureless telephones available in such lovely colors as "prosthetic arm beige" and "musty avocado". It took some innovative competition to get them to step up their game on high output LED's and wider choice of battery types. There are some really great useful features on some torches made by companies such as Fenix.