16 Minutes Of Constant Howls (California July 2012)

BFSleuth

The car honking is a mystery because it wouldn't have been able to hear the sounds while driving. When you see something crossing the road you usually don't honk, either. I may honk if there is something standing in the road that won't move or is moving too slow, but I rarely honk at all. I have no idea what it may have been honking at.

I've had to slow almost to a stop and lay on the horn to get a herd of deer off the road. They rather nonchalantly moseyed off the road. Animals sometimes do the unexpected.

Does anyone know the location where the motorists were stranded? I'm wondering how remote the location is, and whether the dog barking could be simply dogs barking?

JenJen of Oldstones

I've had to slow almost to a stop and lay on the horn to get a herd of deer off the road. They rather nonchalantly moseyed off the road. Animals sometimes do the unexpected.

Does anyone know the location where the motorists were stranded? I'm wondering how remote the location is, and whether the dog barking could be simply dogs barking?

In the video description, he says they were on the road going through the Sierras and the car broke down near Clipper Mills, CA.

One of the commenters asked him where the sounds were coming from and he said:

"Started to the east moved south and then west/ s west thats were it could be heard from, I dont think more than a mile , maybe after 2 hours was it a couple miles this is my best guess."

BFSleuth

Well, I used GE to look at Clipper Mills, CA and there are intermittent houses along the forested road. So it would explain the dog barking sounds as dogs in the vicinity barking. The howling sounds are another thing altogether.

In a 20 mile radius from CM there are over a dozen sighting reports.

The manner in which his dogs reacted was something, like they were highly attentive and a little afraid.

TD-40

Jen, I'll try to find it when I get home from work.

Edited by TD-40

JenJen of Oldstones

Well, I used GE to look at Clipper Mills, CA and there are intermittent houses along the forested road. So it would explain the dog barking sounds as dogs in the vicinity barking. The howling sounds are another thing altogether.

In a 20 mile radius from CM there are over a dozen sighting reports.

The manner in which his dogs reacted was something, like they were highly attentive and a little afraid.

Did you hear dogs? I couldn't pick it out at all because of the echoing and was wondering if he was mistaken about that.

bipedalist
BFF Donor

The car honking is a mystery because it wouldn't have been able to hear the sounds while driving. When you see something crossing the road you usually don't honk, either. I may honk if there is something standing in the road that won't move or is moving too slow, but I rarely honk at all. I have no idea what it may have been honking at.

The sounds in the first video posted by the OP and the one I posted, along with others, are all similar enough to me to conclude that they are coming from the same animal species. The sounds are not made by the wind, canines, or birds. Four legged game animals don't make those constant noises, either, and bears are pretty quiet. So....

I sure hope people using the new hybrids are using their horn alot, they sneak up on you and are very quiet if you are a cyclist or pedestrian. I would imagine small animals would be put in similar jeopardy from them.

I always give a small toot and do not lay on the horn if there are small animals that seem to be in a quandary near roads edge.

If you lay on the horn though with deer in similar situations, I'd be prepared to take one through the windshield though.

CMBigfoot

I have honked the horn late at night and early morning when I drive by people parked on the side of the road just to be an ********. It has happened too me, so why not do it to someone else.

A good possibility its a hoax. They didn't seem very concerned, especially the woman. If I was broken down in the middle of nowhere, in darkness, with no cell-phone and a lot of strange howling, I would be at least a little scared. The guy is acting like its a big joke. It all seemed staged.

Considering where it happened, it's in the middle of nowhere, deep in forest with only extra-rural human homes occassionally. It doesn't sound like humans or coyotes to me. And the dogs were acting weird - one is completely submissive and in her master's lap, and the other is attentive at the window. It doesn't sound like they know what it is at first, and then it dawns on them as they eliminate creatures. If this was their first encounter, they don't know what to think. Are they inside the RV or boat? Or sitting outside, it was hard to tell. If it got closer, you can see they were prepared to get into the cab, they said so.

What I found interesting was that only a few seconds after the passing car honked its horn, one of the dogs began growling.

Presumably there must be only a small set of North American mammals or birds capable of making that cacophony.

We have a large number of outdoorsmen frequenting this site - can any of you contribute to a list to rule candidates in or out?

For instance:

Coyote = {probable / possible / impossible}

Edited by corvus horribilus

Cervelo

I've heard this hundreds of times while hunting with dogs and while being the driver (the person that walks with the dogs into the woods to get them going in the right direction) it sounds exactly like a pack of hunting dogs to me.

See vid above

Edited by Cervelo