Thermal Invisibility....is It Possible?

Guest thermalman

Guest thermalman

A member PM'd me about the subject of thermal invisibility...........

"Thermalman, I really enjoy your comments and respect your knowledge on thermal imaging. My only knowledge of thermal imaging is based on military imaging and military use of Forward Looking Infrared Radar. I know that thermal imaging can pick up residual heat, but does an animals fur (if thick enough) HOLD heat generated by the body? I suppose I'm asking is animal hair (human included) capable of being warmed by the warmth of the skin that it is attached to? I see all kind of reports of the hair being described as long and thin all the way to "shaggy", so might thick hair hide the creature from Thermal imaging? Or give it away because of ambient heat from the body? I wonder if there are "Hippie" bigfoot?"

In reply..........

"To answer your question, yes animals give off IR readings. The hair/fur can be both warmed by the radiant heat from the body and solar loading from the sun. One of the few animals that give off a low IR reading is the polar bear. Although not completely "invisible", the thick body fat prevents heat from radiating outwards into the fur, plus the white fur has a low IR emissivity and high reflectivity. I hope this helps."

I saw a documentary on the tv the other day. It was about how snakes can see thermally.

http://en.wikipedia....nsing_in_snakes

The polar bear is difficult to see on thermals because its fur insulates it from the outside and keeping the body heat inside. But if BF is real, why would it need such good insulation living in much warmer climates?

Guest JVDBogart

Hey Thermalman, I remember when I was in the Marine Corps that a thermal signature hiding outfit existed. Ever hear of such a thing? I never wore it, but I saw it. It was an overgarment that was covered the entire body and I was told that it made the person invisible to thermal detection. Just curious if you knew anything about it and if it really is that effective. However, this was 20 years ago and maybe it was experimental and never caught on because I have never heard about it since.

Guest thermalman

Sorry JVDB, I've never heard of it. But you have peaked my interest and I will look into it. Based on stealth bombers and cloaking tanks, it is likely a good possibility. You'd think though, the military would be wearing them now and we would have heard of them? The principle idea would have to be reflective in order to enhance the surrounding IR and not the person's IR who is wearing it, thereby camouflaging the person and blending them into the surroundings. :)

Edited by thermalman

Guest JVDBogart

Maybe they are still out there and it is really expensive and limited to Special Forces or something? Let me know what you find out please. I have always been curious about its effectiveness. I do know for a fact it did exist at one time. This isn't any second hand Roswell UFO crash stuff LOL

Guest MJ151

Yes there are thermal cloaking uniforms. Have seen videos of them in use and they are pretty good. You do have to have your entire body covered including your face.

Good topic.

I have spoken to a researcher that claims, against most other BF researcher's assertions, and of course against some of the latest techniques of capturing an image of BF, that BF does not show up on thermal.

Or rather, only hand palms, soles of feet, and a small portion of the face do.

Now, I've no idea either way as I'm not an expert on BF or Thermal Imaging, just relaying info.

Guest thermalman

Yes there are thermal cloaking uniforms. Have seen videos of them in use and they are pretty good. You do have to have your entire body covered including your face.

Can you send a link..........I'd be very interested in watching the vid.........thanks :)

To Cotter.........everything we know of has a thermal signature. BF would show up based on the fact, he does not have a large amount of fat under his skin to insulate the escaping heat from his body, like the polar bear and many other animals that live in the arctic. BF's dark hair or fur, would also generate a solar load from the sun.

Edited by thermalman

Admin

Predator? ;)

Guest thermalman

You can put mud on your body to make yourself thermal invisible.

LOL...only in Hollywood. The eyes are one of the warmest parts, which could not be hidden.

The suit is a good start, but a trained thermographer can see him and make him stand out with some thermal fine tuning. To the inexperienced camera operator, it's a good camouflage.

Edited by thermalman

Guest Darrell

Old school thermal imaging devices were pretty easy to fool, but using the newer devices like the PAS-13 and even the older ISU thermal sights in the M2 Bradley and M1 Abrams its almost impossible. There is a big difference between a $500-$1000 thermal device and $30,000+ devices. Back in the late 80's we used to use wet US Mil issue wool blankets to disquise our themal signatures at night. Worked well at a distnace but not so well close up.