Bff - Uk Meet

BobbyO

Guest Strick

When I was a wee lad back in the 80's I read a book that contended the Loch Ness Monster sightings were, in fact, Basking Sharks that have swum up the River Ness.

Sure, the sharks would have to swim through the middle of Inverness, but this is not too hard to believe. In London we've had whales swim up as far as Westminster and seals are spotted on a regular basis all over the place. The distance from the Thames Estuary to the City is MUCH further than a Basking Shark would have to swim to get to the Loch.

I still think it's the best explanation.

Guest brucescotland

When I was a wee lad back in the 80's I read a book that contended the Loch Ness Monster sightings were, in fact, Basking Sharks that have swum up the River Ness.

Two major probs with that theory....

a) Even in a spate theres parts of the river way to shallow for a basking shark unless it was very small to negotiate

B) Loch ness is completely fresh water, not even brakish.

Loch ness brings in millions to the area through tourism, american and japanese seem to have a particular love of it. And for this reason even if the loch was drained (impossible) and no "monster" was proven to live there the myth wont ever die.

SSR Team

Nice Pike Bruce, 18lb ish ?

Or bigger maybe looking again ?

Guest brucescotland

Nice Pike Bruce, 18lb ish ?

Or bigger maybe looking again ?

Just short of 26. and it had a rotton old tag in it.

Guest Dr. Boogie

I might be interested in attending a UK meeting, can't say for sure though until a location/date is proposed.

As already suggested, if we post our respective locations then we may be able to find somewhere of common convenience. I'm Bristol-based, but I also work in Berkshire frequently so will add that.

#1 Corvus Horribilus Bristol/Newbury

#2 ...

#3 ...

SSR Team

London

How about West(ish) London then. I'm often in Reading - in fact I'm there today - so it's easy for me to catch a train into Paddington. It would also help anyone else planning to come in from more central areas.

Sure, the sharks would have to swim through the middle of Inverness, but this is not too hard to believe. In London we've had whales swim up as far as Westminster and seals are spotted on a regular basis all over the place. The distance from the Thames Estuary to the City is MUCH further than a Basking Shark would have to swim to get to the Loch.

I heard a similar one about a thresher shark and saw a photo of one in the loch, the explanation for it being mistaken for Nessie was that people thought that the huge tail fin was it's head and neck, the dorsal fin the 'hump' in the middle and the head the tail. Looked exactly like the 'classic' image of it.

We've had whales up the Trent a few times and a bottle nose dolphin a few years back.

I have no idea if the River Ness is navigable through Inverness to a decent-sized shark. It looks doable on Google Maps, but I will have to bow to BruceinScotland's counsel that it's not deep enough even in flood.

West London does it for me - Richmond, Twickenham, the River in Hammersmith or Chiswick.

Threshers are a lot smaller than basking sharks. Basking sharks be huge, 2nd biggest fish on the planet.

Londons expensive to get to and to be in and a long way for anyone in the north. Should be the midlands somewhere, tho saying that i probably can't make it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brucescotland

I heard a similar one about a thresher shark and saw a photo of one in the loch, the explanation for it being mistaken for Nessie was that people thought that the huge tail fin was it's head and neck, the dorsal fin the 'hump' in the middle and the head the tail. Looked exactly like the 'classic' image of it.

We've had whales up the Trent a few times and a bottle nose dolphin a few years back.

Never had this thread on follow.......sorry for late responce... Again not possible, loch ness is %100 fresh, there isnt even a drop of brakish water in it, none.