Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Identifying Things From Rp's Footage

Bill

I haven't seen such a photo, so i can't comment on it. Would like to see it though.

Bill

Bill

Summing up contributions so far:

The Beach - The Caruther's Cove location seems a positive ID, especially with the photo posted by Paranassus, showing it more recently, and having several matching rock formations in the tidewater and beach. Unfortunately, nothing else on that reel has any apparent identifiable locations, to further track the cameraman's locations.

The Giant Tree - Seems to be a fairly positive location in coastal northern California, but continued inquiries will be made, as per Norcallogger's recommendations.

The Totem pole - I was hoping for this to be one of the easy ones, but so far, no posted ideas about an identification here.

The Store Roger Enters - There were suggestions the store was Pearsons store in Weitchpec (which is north of Willow creek and near Bluff Creek), but other remarks seem to suggest it is not. Logistically, on that roll of film (Segment #3), the reported location of Fred Beck is one such logistic question, as noted below.

The Snow Scenes - Ace contributed remarks about the presence of snow in the inland areas between Ca. and Oregon, even into late spring, so we have an option that Roger may have shot the footage of snow scenes after the May 13, 1967 documented K-100 camera rental.

Man and Daughter - No ID on them yet.

Fred Beck - Paranassus contributed Fred's location in 1966 as follows: "When Patterson first visited Fred Beck, he lived in a cabin near Kelso WA, in 1966, near Longview, directly west of Yakima, about 50 miles from the coast. "

Roger on Film - It seems positive the man is Roger, but his store location is still in question.

Man watching Van - Suggested by Kitakaze as being Roger, but suggested by Crowlogic it might be Bob Gimlin. Suffice to say, the man back to camera man's the ID challenging. But will note to ask Gimlin himself when I get a chance to talk with him again.

The Deer - The deer species was described by Ace as Columbian Black Tail. In a previous discussion, this species was also suggested.

The dash board of a car -I thought we'd get a positive ID on this, but nothing so far.

Filming Sequence Questions

Segment #3 presents the most intrigue. The footage has Roger going into a store, then the Fred Beck material, and then the VW Bus road trip to the giant redwood. The VW part seems very reasonably to be Northern California. Fred's residence around that time was Washington. So Roger would likely be photographed up in Washington too. If he's at a store in Weitchpec, then the filming sequence for that one roll is Northern Cal. then back up to Washington, then back down to Northern CA. A lot of traveling just to get Fred walking past a camera. So putting Roger in Washington too makes the filming logistics easier to visualize. Start in Washington, do Roger first, then Fred, then do the road trip south to No. CA.

The Other intrigue is the deer footage. it's k-100 filmed, and the deer antler velvet could be after May 13, but not too long after that. But this camera has a zoom lens on it and so the question is why didn't the camera rental documentation show a zoom lens as well. Could be rented from another source, but remains undocumented by paperwork, while proven by film analysis.

Bill

Part Two of Photos for identification:

snowsceneK100.jpg

Identifying People

Man and Daughter with deer

Roger films this man pouring Kellogg's Corn Flakes on a lawn, and then a deer comes to nibble on the food. The man and his daughter are currently unidentified. The girl might be about 50 or so today, so if she's alive, she might remember Roger and the filming. Small chance, but a lead, none the less.

Manandgirl2.jpg

This is Ray Walace giving the camera a demonstration of his sure fire way of attracting Bigfoot. Layout some cornflakes. He sold boxes of the stuff in his road side store/museum for want-a-be Bigfoot hunters. I have seen early pictures of the man and he also looks like the man I met in 1975.

Bill

Damndirtyape:

thank you. This is definitely fascinating. Just wondering if anybody else has other photos of Wallace to compare, and any ID on the girl, because she should be alive today.

Would be wonderful to get a story about this filming, like location and reason for the deer.

:)

Bill

added;

I did a quick Google image search and got this:

RayWallacepicture.jpg

Not sure how they reconcile, but worth exploring more.

Damndirtyape:

thank you. This is definitely fascinating. Just wondering if anybody else has other photos of Wallace to compare, and any ID on the girl, because she should be alive today.

Would be wonderful to get a story about this filming, like location and reason for the deer.

:)

Bill

The deer are also part of his story. Seems that he claimed to know some intimate things about Bigfoot, like how it hunts by laying in wait and throwing a rock to bean a deer and then carting it off. He used the Corn Flakes to make what is now termed a provisioned observation site, habituating the creature so he could film it. Purchased a rather expensive movie camera (for the time) from a movie studio after they had made their production... featuring none other than John Carradine. Ray Wallace even made the credits... but thats not all... the suit in this B movie, and some of the footage from it also appears in Rays home movies of Bigfoot. This link doesn't show that Ray was involved with the production but I assure you he was. He is on the scrolling credits of it, even on the DVD version.

Bill

Here's a Wikipedia bio on Wallace:

Raymond L. "Ray" Wallace (April 21, 1918 − November 26, 2002) was an American Bigfoot researcher.

Wallace was born in Clarksdale, Missouri. He worked as a logger for much of his life, but also in road construction throughout much of Washington, Oregon and California. He served in the Army during World War II as an aircraft gunner. Wallace finally settled in Toledo, Washington in 1961.

In August 1958, the Humboldt Times of Eureka, California, was the first to use the term "Bigfoot" in their story about huge footprints found by a worker of Wallace's Humboldt County construction company.

Upon Wallace's death, his son Michael revealed that Wallace was in possession of large wooden feet. It was suggested by Wallace's family that Wallace used these wooden feet to stamp imprints around northern California as a prank.

Wallace died in a Centralia, Washington nursing home at the age of 84.

That would put him at about age 49 in 1967, which seems close to the guy photographed.

very interesting.

And the deer part is intriguing too.

added:

A map showing Toledo in reference to Yakima.

ToledoWAlocation.jpg

Will post some more oddities tomorrow night....

Guest parnassus

Having trouble posting links for some reason. The interior appears to be a 1958 or 59 radio-less VW bus "van' . The exterior of Patterson's van when it had the PropLoc sign on it indicated it was a

by the bumper, mirrors (known variation), front turn signal, recessed headlights, barn doors, extended front roof, and split windshield.

Guest parnassus

I was able to find this picture of Wallace when he looks to be about 60. His ears and the old Wallace ears look too long for the corn flakes guy; but who knows. As I posted earlier, in a single trip in 1966, Patterson and his pal Prentis Beck visited Fred Beck in Kelso, visited Ray Wallace in Toledo, and passed through Cougar where they had breakfast. Beck and Wallace both apparently met with Patterson on more than one occasion, however.

Bill

Here's three side by side. Middle one is the link Paranassus gave above.

RayWallacetrio.jpg

Bill

Here is more from Ray Crowe archives. In the color picture I suspect the little girl may be his daughter. The shirt he is wearing is an interesting clue also. It was a very popular work shirt, heavy cotton denim pin stripe work shirt sporting a small ape head logo on one of the breast pockets. Construction workers wore them quite often, almost as if they were part of a uniform.

We also have another link to follow... Claton Mac. The town of Clayton, Washington and it's Bigfoot Valley :o .Pre Jerry Crew's coined name? Close by to Ivan Marx's home front.

Maybe the most telling photo is this one where we get a hint of the underside nose structure.

masterbarber

The dash board of a car -I thought we'd get a positive ID on this, but nothing so far.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

It's the dashboard of a 60s era Volkswagen Van: (pictured is a 1965 split window)

post-24-099271100 1283947669_thumb.jpg

post-24-036426900 1283948715_thumb.jpg

White arrow indicates a shadow, possibly from the steering wheel, driver, etc...

Guest parnassus

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

It's the dashboard of a 60s era Volkswagen Van: (pictured is a 1965 split window)

post-24-099271100 1283947669_thumb.jpg

post-24-036426900 1283948715_thumb.jpg

White arrow indicates a shadow, possibly from the steering wheel, driver, etc...

Master:

The interior you show looks very much like the late 50's interiors I linked to. I guess we aren't going to be able to date it. The exterior shot of the van with Rene Dahinden and the ponies I think shows it to be a 59.