Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Identifying Things From Rp's Footage

Guest nycBig

u r 2 kind. keep up the good work. Research is fun, as you know. I hope I'm write about the van. I know I'm right about the Corn flakes man.

See you around the bend.

p.

do you need to know differential calculus for medical school?

... Pretty common in the PNW, but not on the eastern side of the Cascades. Those would be Mulys.

-emphasis added.

This is something I *think* I mentioned on the old BFF when the deer picture came up. A black tail would indicate they are west of the cascades, or most likely the western portion of California. As Yakima is east of the Cascades, I would think your photos of the deer are from a trip west, such as the So Oregon/California coast where you might see those trees.

Here is a map from the Californa Dept of Fish and Game showing deer distribution in California:

deer_map.gif

Bill,

The store pictured as someone else stated is definitely not Pearson's, nor is it the old Bluff Creek Store that used to have the cartoon caricature of a Bigfoot holding a salmon on the south side of the front of the building. I've got serious doubts that the store pictured is in the state of CA. The layout of the X-walk is inconsistent with any past versions of CalTrans MUTCD that I'm familiar with. It's possible that a dual 12" was consistent with a 50's or 60's version of the CA MUTCD, but from memory I can't remember ever seeing asphalt in CA striped like that.

Bill

willinyc:

Thanks. never thought street markings would be a clue, but that's what is so wonderful about all the people here contributing specialized knowledge.

Another posible reason the store may be in Washington is the logistics of the shots on the reel. Roger and store is first, Fred Beck is second, and the VW and Redwood is third. From what Paranassus contributed, Fred was in Washington, so the filming sequence makes more sense logistically if the store is somewhere in Washington, and Fred is, and then Roger drives down to No. Cal. for the redwood part.

Bill

kitakaze

sorry, already sent it to k.

I haz spoken, and I ain't jokin'.... :D old saying from my Dad.

listen, I'd be most happy to report it if it was Ray, I'm lovin this detective work....show ol Bill I can actually contribute something to his work. Unfortunately it isn't Ray. We don't know who it is. I've still got some other leads workin....maybe something will pan out.

I have seen the private email from the Wallace family member. They did indeed confirm that the man in those frames is not Ray Wallace. I know Ray's face quite well, and that never looked like him to me. I had hoped it was Ray, but it is not. I will be attempting to arrange for interviews with Wallace family people to learn more about him.

Guest nycBig

I have seen the private email from the Wallace family member. They did indeed confirm that the man in those frames is not Ray Wallace. I know Ray's face quite well, and that never looked like him to me. I had hoped it was Ray, but it is not. I will be attempting to arrange for interviews with Wallace family people to learn more about him.

Kit, if Wallace knew the PGF was a hoax, did he tell anyone? Like his kids or his wife? I know he kept the stomping a secret from his kids but I wonder why not tell them the truth about the PGF since it wasn't his pet project? Also I wonder if the children found any evidence after their Dad died that would link Wallace to the PGF?

Drew

Could it be Jerry Lee Merritt?

Here he is at the 1966-1967 ASCAP convention

JLMext.jpg

Sure the hair is grey in this photo, but they used hair coloring back then

Manandgirl2.jpg

Edited by Drew

Guest parnassus

Bill, can you tell what sort of camera shot the "cowboy documentary" scenes? I'm referring to the footage showing several different cowboys, not the footage of Roger and Bob in the fall colors with the white pack horse.

Edited by parnassus

Drew

Can anyone find out where the ASCAP convention was held in 1967? What was the location?

Bill

Paranassus:

"Bill, can you tell what sort of camera shot the "cowboy documentary" scenes? I'm referring to the footage showing several different cowboys, not the footage of Roger and Bob in the fall colors with the white pack horse."

To determine the camera type, a true full frame plus overscan (scanning into the sprocket area of the sides and a bit of the frames above and below) to attempt a camera make determination.

I have never done so of this footage, and am not aware of anyone else having done so either.

Bill

Guest parnassus

Paranassus:

"Bill, can you tell what sort of camera shot the "cowboy documentary" scenes? I'm referring to the footage showing several different cowboys, not the footage of Roger and Bob in the fall colors with the white pack horse."

To determine the camera type, a true full frame plus overscan (scanning into the sprocket area of the sides and a bit of the frames above and below) to attempt a camera make determination.

I have never done so of this footage, and am not aware of anyone else having done so either.

Bill

Well it seems to me that this trip with the sign on top of the van was probably a promotional trip, not a go in the woods expedition. This would fit with the trip that Jerry Merritt describes to try to get 5 thou from the Hollywood money guy. They had started shooting the film and ran out of money in three days. That had to have been in May or early June. I am guessing that they took the camera/cameras with them to impress the potential backer, and just took some incidental footage along the way. Just practice. They may have stopped in at Willow Creek along the way; at some point Roger did stop and ask Hodgson to call if anything turned up. But I don't think they were doing any bigfoot hunting or hoaxing in May; not with a sign on top of the van. Jerry Merritt didn't indicate anything about driving all around the wilderness of Bluff Creek to fake footprints on that trip.

So I wondered if they had the K100 and the ?Bolex from the TV station along with them.

Edited by parnassus

Drew

What kind of a sign is it? Could it be pulled down and stowed easily?

Guest parnassus

Well it seems to me that this trip with the sign on top of the van was probably a promotional trip, not a go in the woods expedition. This would fit with the trip that Jerry Merritt describes to try to get 5 thou from the Hollywood money guy. They had started shooting the film and ran out of money in three days. That had to have been in May or early June. I am guessing that they took the camera/cameras with them to impress the potential backer, and just took some incidental footage along the way. Just practice. They may have stopped in at Willow Creek along the way; at some point Roger did stop and ask Hodgson to call if anything turned up. But I don't think they were doing any bigfoot hunting or hoaxing in May; not with a sign on top of the van. Jerry Merritt didn't indicate anything about driving all around the wilderness of Bluff Creek to fake footprints on that trip.

So I wondered if they had the K100 and the ?Bolex from the TV station along with them.

To clarify, I wondered if the TV station guy Fred Smith was shooting the cowboy documentary footage with the TV station camera, and whether paying him was the reason they ran out of money after only three days of shooting. This would be a question to ask Bob or Howard H: did Fred Smith shoot any of the documentary? And I wondered whether they had somehow borrowed the TV station camera to take to LA as a showpiece, and maybe shot footage with both cameras on the way to LA.

I must say that doesn't look much like the Jerry Merritt photos I can find, though I do think Jerry was on that trip.

Bill can pull up the image of the sign but I think it said Bigfoot 67 Expedition. I am guessing it was on the same platform as Patterson's Proplock sign.bfvolks.jpg

Drew

This looks like a pretty standard 'stake-truck' type design. A 1"x1" square channel sticking up from the truck, and a piece of wood with brackets on the back, that slide down onto the square channel, they might lock with a pin of some sort if the channel has holes in it.

boardsign.jpg

Bill

Paranassus:

"So I wondered if they had the K100 and the ?Bolex from the TV station along with them. "

A bolex is a likely candidate and one camera type I plan to test for, to see if the apertures match. But as i noted sometime earlier to Kitakaze, a TV station then likely used an Auricon sound on film camera so they could do interviews and have a synced sound track as soon as the film was processed. I doubt they'd lend Roger an Auricon, as it was more expensive than a Bolex, and there's no indication of an optical or mag stripe on the filmprinted through to the film copy, so I'm pretty sure Roger's material wasn't filmed with an Auricon.

Anyways, that still needs to be cleared up, once I can get to a vintage camera shop and check out some of the cameras of the era.

All we can say conclusively is that for the VW Bus footage, Roger had a camera that was not a K-100, and it had a zoom lens on it.

Bill