Operation Persistence

Are any of the hosts with your group at all times?

They are there intermittently. From what I understand, the cabins are used mostly during hunting season as is to expected in that part of the country.

Guest poignant

If Old Grey was the patriach/matriach and decided to hand out nobility titles to offspring, will the sons be called Earl Greys? Just kidding.

In your opinion, what techniques have been the most successful at catching them unaware? You mention you think their strongest sense is sight, and not tracking humans that well without it, would that imply then in your opinion that the idea of them having super smelling or hearing is incorrect?

I do NOT thing they have super smelling or hearing, though that's not the group's opinion, that's mine. I'm sure there are some in the group who have other thoughts on that. I'm not sure I can say what the best technique is. They sometimes screw up just like all other animals. They aren't superstealth forest ninjas as many people seem to think.

If Old Grey was the patriach/matriach and decided to hand out nobility titles to offspring, will the sons be called Earl Greys?

I sure hope so.

Also, Gray is definitely male. His body shape doesn't suggest female at all and he's very, very large.

These beasts can put out easily over 10 times the amount of power an elite human athlete can.

Based on what I saw, I'd easily believe that.

I really hope you guys get clear footage of Old Grey. Does everyone get a GoPro i.e. POV camera? That might come in useful. Also, for the loud crash against the side of the cabin, do you think it might have been from one of them doing a double drop kick? :D

I can't remember if I talked about the GoPro use here or in the premium forum, but we don't have one for each investigator. And yeah, now that you mention it, I've seen a video of a gorilla kicking a plexiglass wall in a zoo. Very possible cause of the cabin crashing, IMO.

I'll clarify what I was fishing for earlier, based on your observations, and in your opinion, the biggest obstacle for either manned or unmanned (trailcams and such) observation is defeating their vision sense?

-KW

Sure. The thick undergrowth cuts both ways. If they can't see you, chances are they don't know you're there. Of course, they're likely much better tuned to forest sounds and things that aren't right than people who spend a lot of time in the city, right? But so are deer.

Guest poignant

Bipto:

Thanks for clarifying that Old Grey is male. From the podcast (which was excellent in content and well presented) it sounded like his gender was not confirm-able.

Bipto - Many thanks for you response to my questions.

I have a couple more - sorry, but I am very intrigued - what do they look like and in your opinion are there any videos in the public domain that you feel are genuine based on what you and your colleagues have observed?

Best,

Lee

...what do they look like and in your opinion are there any videos in the public domain that you feel are genuine based on what you and your colleagues have observed?

My sighting was too quick to say, but a member has had a more recent encounter with the grey one and said it's back looked very much like the PGF subject. Which won't make my BFS co-host very happy.

He's massive and thick all the way down. Some of the others are skinnier and others are V-shaped. There appears to be some variation based on sex, ages, etc.

Thanks for clarifying that Old Grey is male. From the podcast (which was excellent in content and well presented) it sounded like his gender was not confirm-able.

No worries. I'm not sure if that info is more recent than the show. We've suspected it was male, but now we're pretty darned sure.

Guest COGrizzly

Bipto - So, many members have stated that "seeing one" is a life changing experience. Would you agree?

I know you've answered a lot of questions about this, but, it is rather intriguing.

So, many members have stated that "seeing one" is a life changing experience. Would you agree?

I doubt there's been a day since I saw it that I haven't thought about it. There is something very profound going from the "pretty sure" bucket to the "totally sure" bucket. I used to worry that I'd go all René Dahinden and let it run riot all over my life, but so far, I've been able to keep it compartmentalized. Still, it's never far from my thoughts.

There is something very profound going from the "pretty sure" bucket to the "totally sure" bucket.

I can't even imagine what it would be like going from "no way" to "OMG, they're real!"

Edited by MikeG
......implied expletive removed.

but it's very clear to us that they don't keep track of people all that well if they can't keep a line of sight on them.

Apparently in a lot of 'primitive' human cultures too, counting is optional. That is to say, if you have more that 4 or 5 its 'a lot'. So it may be that they just don't count. Any thoughts? And thanks again answering all these questions!!

I thought both episodes were very interesting. It must have been very scary sometimes out there. I wonder: were you able to observe and document more detailed aspects of their social life like mating, family structure and how they raise their offspring? Did you see any female and/or juvenile Sasquatch?

On Sasquatch being human or not: I don't think they're Homo Sapiens Sapiens either, but I'll let the DNA results be the verdict. DNA is what it is. What I find more important is that even if they're 'just' apes that doesn't mean they can't have a rudimentary form of culture or other 'human' characteristics. Leading primatologists have now come to the conclusion that higher primates do have the beginnings of culture, as shown in this BBC

. They argue it's illogical to think that so-called human characteristics like culture, self-awareness, etc. magically and suddenly erupted in humans without appearing in some form in other hominids.

No, apes will never write literature, build skyscrapers, etc. But if you define culture as learned traditions (not instinct) that are passed down from one generation to the next, then yes, apes have culture.

I hope one day we will be able to study them and communicate with them via sign language and symbols like we do now with other primates and not hunt them down.

Guest poignant

Bipto:

Interestingly, I catch myself not even questioning the authenticity of the sightings since they seem to be repeatable and witnessed by many people.

Looks like you guys are really on to something.

Apparently in a lot of 'primitive' human cultures too, counting is optional. That is to say, if you have more that 4 or 5 its 'a lot'. So it may be that they just don't count. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I don't know. We don't think that can keep track of "a lot" of people. That's as far as I'd go.

Interestingly, I catch myself not even questioning the authenticity of the sightings since they seem to be repeatable and witnessed by many people.

Well, I appreciate that. It's a truly amazing thing.

I wonder: were you able to observe and document more detailed aspects of their social life like mating, family structure and how they raise their offspring? Did you see any female and/or juvenile Sasquatch?

Well, no *mating*. We speculate that the one in the bush was younger because it was smaller than the other. It's easy to then extrapolate and think the other was its mother, but of course, we have no idea. All I can say is there's multiple animals there of varying size and color and one big grey SOB who seems to have no fear.

I hope one day we will be able to study them and communicate with them via sign language and symbols like we do now with other primates and not hunt them down.

That would be great, yes.

Edited by bipto

Guest COGrizzly

I also have to say that it is incredible that several members here, including staff members, have gone from "on the fence" to "Yes,they exist". In bipto's case, the guy who started the BFF.

Awesome.

And, having these individuals "know" makes me even more interested.