Operation Persistence

In self defense every area is weapons-free, no?

Additionally, if this is on private land, there may be loopholes that can be found (for instance, I'm a landowner, though raccoon season is only a month or so out of the year, I can shoot raccoons on my property if they are damaging property or crops).

I would think some sort of license would be required (general small game or the like).

My thinking is why do they need protection, as they seem to be doing very well by themselves, and have been for perhaps thousands of years.

You may be right. They may be thriving. But if so, that would make them unlike nearly every other large omnivore in North America. The point is, their habitat in under a lot of pressure and we simply don't know how many of them there are or how much space they need to thrive. None of that will be discovered until they are proven to exist.

...members of the group where sick of being ridiculed by the outside world for believing in BF. I got the impression you wanted to shoot one to let the outside world "eat crow".

I think many people, not just those in the TBRC, have been the butt end of jokes for daring to have an interest in this field. It's hardly surprising that at least part of the motivation of some individuals is based wanting to redeem themselves, so to speak. Regardless, the mission of the TBRC is clear and all members support it. The end result is what's important, individual motivations for seeking to get there are going to be all over the place.

What are your thoughts on folks that feel there are several different types of creatures?

All I know is what we've encountered. As I said above, we've seen some variation in size among this population. It could be that people are seeing the same thing in isolation, comparing to the PGF subject, and saying it's a different type of animal.

Is it a weapons-free area?

Based on the brief duration of the encounters we've had, we've gone to lengths to ensure our people are easily identified and differentiated from the apes. I can think of at least three encounters where someone in a place to take a specimen hesitated because they couldn't be sure they weren't seeing another member. Now, we all wear blaze orange and keep good situational awareness of where someone who could shoot is at all times. It's another reason why we try to keep groups relatively small. In any event, safety is a priority and we're evolving our approach over time to maintain it.

Guest Suesquach

Bipto, I've listened to the podcasts and they were most riviting. Thank you for your openess and sharing your experiences with all of us. Will Operation Persistence continue until a specimen is captured? Thanks in advance for your answer!

Guest Thepattywagon

Bipto, do you think the 'blaze orange' compromises your ability to get closer to these creatures? Or is it always a case of "they find you"?

Also, I think you mentioned that the cabins were probably used by hunters. If so, do you think the BF vacate the area during hunting season, or is this place so remote that it is infrequently visited by folks other than your group?

Thanks.

Guest poignant

Started out with the emotional no-kill policy. That quickly came to an end.

Currently inclined to the one-kill policy, because I sincerely believe that is the only way to prove its existence, force legislation to recognize and protect it, as well as to exonerate those who have been ridiculed for simply having been a witness to one.

Here's a thought. Leading in with a question.

Have you gotten them acclimated to taking any sort of food or treats from you?

If so, and they do it on a regular basis, I have your solution.

http://www.domyownpe...t-lb-p-438.html

2 scoops of this mixed with any sort of consumable (i've seen it used with Mt. Dew) and it will kill any animal within about 10 feet of where it was consumed.

I know a guy that had a raccoon problem and was being overrun. He had a small pond in his backyard they'd come into drink out of. He dumped about a 1/2 pound on this in it and the next morning had over a dozen dead raccoons, 3 deer, and a couple skunks within 3 paces of the pond

It does it's job and it does it fast. No need to stalk, get a clear shot, etc. Just make sure it's tended to as you will get other collateral damage as well as possible multiple specimens of what you are looking for.

May speed up your process.

Edited by Cotter

@bipto

Sorry if already asked, did you guys capture any video or stills ? (not asking to see them, just wondering if you captured any compelling photos/video)

Edited by zigoapex

being armed or not makes no difference it whether how they percieve you that makes the difference.If you go out tracking them and looking for them like they are game then they wil flee,They have obsevered this enough times to know the the difference. They are very obseverent and understand us humans when we are hunting or not.placing food to them does not allways mean that we are coming to them as freinds . placing food out to them could also mean as baiting for game and could also be mistaken as a trap.Just like when hunters do for deer and and bears so do they do and observe. They are not dummies But then again what the heck do I know Right!I have no expierance Right.Learn to live and then you willl see.

Poignant - I sort of agree with you after being informed why it would be important for the survival of the species, particularly if their habitat is under threat.

However, I can't help thinking that if they are proven to be real to the wider public, that it could create a black-market for these animals - as trophies, to private collectors for example. Poaching. It goes on with protected species world-wide. Or is that unrealistic? I'm really not sure.

Best,

Lee

Guest poignant

Lee, recognized or not, how are we to know this black market is not already in existence? The black market will always be there, so better to get the law behind the species rather than not (i.e. status quo).

I don't think you should worry about poaching, it's hard enough already to find one, and good luck to the hunter(s) if stories of BF's ability to attack in groups are true.

I appreciate the work you and your group are attempting, I have something which may help you and answer some puzzles you can't solve.

They aren't apes...in the gorilla meaning.

They are apes in the human manner.

They may act like apes, but so does some people...the connection being it's intended. They can also act like bears.

They can also talk, and I don't mean mimic. I'm not certain how high their intelligence goes however.

To help you with this: What other animal can avoid mankind for this long? The answer is zero. No other animal can avoid mankind for this length of time. The only thing that can avoid man this totally is another man.

You can take the most stealthy leopard or tiger or whatever, eventually a hunter would corner that animal. Eventually one would be on a game or trail cam or stuffed and mounted. If they were just another animal we would have documentation of them LONG AGO. We would have specimen!

I understand people wish to lean toward the ape/animal spectrum to make themselves feel better about killing one. I have no problem with that. I have no problem with one being killed if that's what it takes to satisfy some.

The answers are right in our face that they are human (or as close as they can come) but we keep attempting to make the question harder than it is.

I think it's best if we keep in topic regarding area X and the work the TBRC are doing there. There are plenty of other threads about what Bigfoot is or isn't and the ethics of killing, please use those.

Thanks

Guest ToTheBatCave

Bipto,

Are there any groups similar to TBRC in the Alabama area?

Would love to be a part of something like this.