Is It Really A Million Dollar Discovery?

Often we hear things about how much money the discovery of the final proof of the existence of Sasquatch will bring. I tend to disagree with that, I think the person would get little more than their fifteen minutes of fame. The final "proof" will most likely just show us definitively what was proof already, what was hoax, and what was mistaken. The scientific community will swoop in and take it from the hands of the amateurs. Most likely both the U.S. and Canadian governments will quickly bring about laws and regulations that will limit, or eliminate any interaction, or amateur study of them. I just don't see it being a big financial win fall for anyone. Even if Ketchum and Erickson pull of the study, combined with the release of a documentary, I doubt they will make even a fraction to the profits Batman did.

Guest OntarioSquatch

There is a multi-millionaire that supports both the BFRO and Olympic Project. I think he would definitely buy a real Bigfoot body if he ever gets the opportunity!

It's NOT a million dollar discovery

Book deals

Movie deals

Selling the body

Endorsement deals

Speaking engagements

Etc etc etc

It's a 50 million dollar discovery

• Upvote 1

Most likely both the U.S. and Canadian governments will quickly bring about laws and regulations that will limit, or eliminate any interaction, or amateur study of them.

It should be interesting to see how governments accomplish that.

They interact with whoever they want to interact with, & I don't think they will pay much attention to laws governing their business.

Book deals? Movie deals? For what? I have not seen any books or deals on other discovered species, why would this be so different? Your crazy if you think anyone would own the body, and be able to sell a genuine specimen, you honestly think the government would not take that for themselves, or to give to education faster than anyone could write a check? I think you vastly over estimate the marketability of a discovery, that you would not own. At best you will have the copy right to a film or photograph that is just going to lead to many more, by many more, probably more reputable people.

Edited by JohnC

Question is, what kind of $$ has already been spent through the years in sporadic pursuit of BF?

Does this constitute "systematic" research? Thus, has systematic research already failed to produce results?

The only thing that seems to have made modest money (for some folks)so far are appeals to mass media (i.e., BF the phenomenon that sells books vs. serious BF research which eats money)...so, can we fault serious researchers who end up appealing to the media phenom to profit?

Ultimately, I don't see it being a $$ windfall for most researchers, either, whether they get the money shot or not...after all, we already had that happen if you are a PGF believer, and how much money was really made on that whole deal? Millions? Hardly, I would guess.

Like everything else, any proof that may come from private endeavors would be overshadowed by later scientific or gov't endeavors.

Edited by notgiganto

No, they may not Sasfooty, but we could see an abrupt end to "pay to go looking" Bigfoot adventures, and well as many other limitations involving intend on peoples actions.

Edited by JohnC

Guest FuriousGeorge

I think the million dollar offer was made under the belief that it would never be claimed. I admit, seeing it paid would be pretty sweet. Unless they back out of it by saying, "Noooooo, it was one million doll hairs". That's what I would do.

Book deals? Movie deals? For what? I have not seen any books or deals on other discovered species, why would this be so different?

Dang it....your right...

The dude that discovered the "Pinochio Frog" in 2008 clearly had a terrible publicist..

post-395-0-14285500-1346726413_thumb.png

OK...back to reality...

John...really?

It would be frigg'n Bigfoot!

Edited by slabdog

Guest COGrizzly

Funny stuff there FG!

So there's more than one BF. If a body was brought in, and proven, laws were put into place to protect them, THEN how much would a body bring on the black market??

I already know of a few big game hunters that are filthy rich that I'd bet would pay a million for a 7 foot Sasquatch.

And, I agree with slabdog, way more than a million dollar discovery.

Slabdog really? You think you can go shoot a Sasquatch, the real deal, and sell it like you own it? What if it is a relic hominid of some sort? You think you own it cause you killed it? You think that any such scientific evidence becomes private ownership?

It would have to be some pretty exciting Indiana Jones anthropology sleuth stuff for a movie, or book, think about it, this is not the kind of discovery you get to decide the marketing for. Really?

Guest SquatchinNY

Back in the old west, you shoot a squatch, you keep it! You want a squatch from someone else, you steal it! You have a problem, too bad!

The dude that discovered the "Pinochio Frog" in 2008 clearly had a terrible publicist..

He would have made a bundle if he had an 8 foot frog.

RayG