Is It Really A Million Dollar Discovery?

Guest COGrizzly

ACE! - Haven't seen you post in awhile. Nice to see you.

I'll go up to 30%, as I am fairly confident I know someone who would give $1 million for one. The guy is a near billionaire and if you walked into his home, you'd be almost sickened by the "mounts" in his home. They are everywhere. If I recall, he paid a hundred grand to "hunt" and kill a certain Tiger in Africa. There's only like 3000 left. As sad and horrifying as it is (and illegal), he is a big game hunter and collector.

Wow, 30%! I'd rather have a night or two around a campfire bs'ing with my Colorado friend(s).

Yeah, I have been lurking more than anything.

I've been told a collector already has one (I'm apt to believe it as much as I'm apt to believe anything). A guy that has more money than I'll ever see and he just has it in a woodland vacation cabin in California (already mounted), I guess for sh*ts and giggles. Anyway, I'm always on the lookout and I think I've got as good a chance as any, and maybe better than most. I put myself in the right places me thinks and I've had some things happen that aren't just explained away.

BTW, I've got the camp spot picked out when you're back out this way, fishing, hiking, and 'footing. :)

Guest BFSleuth

It is conceivable that $1 million would be paid for a whole specimen.

My concern is after they are discovered. The market for body parts for traditional medicine in Asia could lead to intensive poaching. The first written account about the Yeti was found in a book of medicine in a monastery in central Asia, noting what parts of the body are best to cure certain ailments. Any idea how much the new class of ultra rich in Asia would pay for something like this? It would be enough to make poaching attractive.

While they seem to have doing fine without protection so far, once they are confirmed as a species the money available for poachers might bring focused effort. This is why I think protection will be needed.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Well, based on what I've seen with today's Bigfoot research. No amount of effort by a bunch of poachers is going to put Yeti/Bigfoot populations in any kind of danger. That's just my opinion though. Poachers would be lucky to even hear or smell one.

If I recall, he paid a hundred grand to "hunt" and kill a certain Tiger in Africa.

Tigers live in Asia, COG. The only tigers in Africa are in zoos.

It is conceivable that $1 million would be paid for a whole specimen.

My concern is after they are discovered. The market for body parts for traditional medicine in Asia could lead to intensive poaching. The first written account about the Yeti was found in a book of medicine in a monastery in central Asia, noting what parts of the body are best to cure certain ailments. Any idea how much the new class of ultra rich in Asia would pay for something like this? It would be enough to make poaching attractive.

While they seem to have doing fine without protection so far, once they are confirmed as a species the money available for poachers might bring focused effort. This is why I think protection will be needed.

If I bag a squatch, its goin right on http://www.ebay.cn/

or http://www.ebay.co.jp/ !!!

(ebay china / ebay japan)

makeitrain.gif

gonna make it rain yo !

You could always cut the squatch into little pieces and sell them on collector cards.

Edited by roguefooter

SSR Team

There is a multi-millionaire that supports both the BFRO and Olympic Project. I think he would definitely buy a real Bigfoot body if he ever gets the opportunity!

That's " did " not " does "..;)

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I'm going to go out on a limb. I suspect that someone from the Federal government might appear much more quickly than most of us would imagine to retrieve the body. I still have a hard time imagining that someone somewhere has not already been studying these things for some time. By the time the media arrived you may well end up looking like just another hoaxer. It may sound fantastic, but we are talking about an incredibly compartmentalized government that has already tested the effects of massive doses of radiation, germ warfare, powerful hallucinogens, and God knows what else on entire communities and geographic regions within our own borders. I don't doubt that someone might have various reasons to not want to alert the public to the presence of what many would perceive as monsters or cavemen roaming the countryside.

Edited by Irish73

No "protection" will ever be enough once every redneck with a gun hears that they are real. They're protected now because only a very small minority of the population believe they exist. Once it becomes known that they exist, & it doesn't cost a person his job to admit to seeing one, all bets are off.

We aren't talking about an endangered bird or wolf. We're talking about a "MONSTER". Laws won't protect them.

The problem is, that they may decide to fight back once their cover is blown. Apparently, nobody has thought of that.

We may soon be the ones needing protection.

Forget about the money for the body. I'm talking about the speaking tour money.

You could charge 20,000/speaking + travel

All over the world, for the rest of your life

Plus book rights, documentary productions

Edited by Drew

Guest BFSleuth

$20,000 speaking fees plus travel might be in the cards for someone that has public speaking skills and is entertaining. Even then, the shelf life of speaking tours are limited for the most entertaining explorers. Maybe a year or two, then the world will move on.

The one with the real money in a speaking tour won't be the hunter that shot BF, it will be the person that habituated and interacted with them for a long period of time and filmed it so we can see their behavior and capabilities. That's a presentation I'd pay to watch.

I think your vastly overestimating the worth Drew, right now, people make money on presentations and conventions because its a mystery its part of a culture, like comic books and star trek. If confirmation comes, then it becomes a different perspective. If its confirmed, and we see serious academic funding and pursuit of the species, (and we would), the only people making money off it will be things like National Geographic,etc. Amateurs with no credentials,funding or sponsorship will be off the radar, even the one who stumbled on the proof. Who, btw, is probably Patterson and Gimlin anyway.