" How To Have An Interaction " By Morehead

Guest VioletX

If one was foolish enough to advance toward the source of the growl... I could see harm probably coming to them. A growl should be perceived a warning, as so with any animal. The only harm to me, personally... was having to change my underwear at 2AM, in 20 degree temps :)

lol. It sounded like Julio was talking about something worse than that, but I could be wrong... ; )

Violetx

Yes,infrasound I have been hit by that twice where it has laid me out in bed for a week.Lucky that it did not kill me.Disoreintaded yes to get to my truck and feeling misarable.

Kerry,

Your comparision is complete malarkey!!

I can go to where deer are and shoot them on a regular basis, it has nothing to do with luck;)

How many boone and crocket or pope n' young bucks do you have on record?

^^^^^

Umm where did I say anything about shooting trophy deer?

Your showing up a little late to this dance but feel free to join me in the Tar Pit if you feel the need ;)

Edited by Cervelo

Thermalman: I had not actually read Ron's suggestions when I made my first post on this thread. I DID read it after someone posted an opinion that he needed a class in writing or some such training. Ron is absolutely "dead on", and his opinion about how to interact with them is not flawed.

You impression that I made it sound easy is flawed; it ain't easy. :fie: LOL. It took me five years to find and interact with a small group's dominant male after the male had gotten PO'ed at a group of us hunters for camping on one of his foraging routes. I, nor the others, will never forget those sounds he made. Simply awesome.

Someone mentioned being growled at by a BF, and wrote as if they were not sure that is not typical during an encounter. It is NOT typical, unless you are too close to a family group or their home bedding area. (If you really screw up, as I once did, and try to slip up on them drinking during the middle of a very hot day and dry season at the only cold-water springs for miles, you will likely hear the kind of ear-splitting fit a male can throw when he is REALLY PO'ed.) They are pretty good ole boys and girls as long as you show respect for their normal shyness around people, and don't try to slip up on them or their families. They do things on their terms, not ours. It takes time and patience to gain their trust. After you do though, that's when it gets to be fun and games for them and you.

One last thing. Some folks believe you can only interact with them at night; that is absolutely wrong. There are simple ways to see them in broad daylight after they become familiar with you. There is one particular way to bring them in close, (day or night), even if you have people with you that they have never seen before. That simple method was demonstrated fairly recently to others, including a new field researcher with the BFRO. (If and when the d----- f---s that are trying to kill their self-assigned quota of six of the creatures quit their project, and the animals are protected by law, I'll share the simple method.)

Go look for them in areas in which they have been seen and reported more than once. They won't leave and area they like and are familiar with unless their habitate has been ruined by human development or clear cutting.