So Called "myth"

Guest alex

I have always wondered: If Sasquatch is just a myth, then why has it been reported into modern day? You do not see many reports of Goblins or Dragon's as much as you do with Sasquatch. As far as I am concerned, Goblins do not leave track's behind, nor do they have this much controversy surrounding them, do they?

If Sasquatch is just a myth, then it is a pretty lame one. Hoaxer's could have reported so many more cooler attributes to Bigfoot ( Shoot beams out of its eyes, lift a giant boulder and throw it 100 yards, etc), But what you tend to get is reports of an Evolutionary exception to the laws of nature.

Members of the forum, what are your opinions on the modern day persistence of this creature, real or imagined, we have all come to love?

'

A good observation.

Perhaps this is only a monster from our evolutionary past, far back when other species of hominids existed, such as Homo Neanderthalis. Did Cro-Magnon humans encounter Neanderthals? What was the outcome of those meetings? We can say with some certainty that Neanderthals no longer exist, but modern man, who is the same species as Cro-Magnon, has survived.

Are Sasquacth Neanderthals who evolved? I don't think so, being as they'd have had to give up fire and tool making; something that Neanderthals had for hundreds of thousands of years.

I think they recently decided that Neanderthals were absorbed by Cro Magnon which resulted in us. They didn't die out, they got Borged. I think the myth persists because something out there that fits the general description exists.

Guest Crowlogic

My opinion is that Sasquatch was not a myth. I believe that Sasquatch was a relic population of a hominid ancestor that lived on in small numbers into the late mid 20th century. I think the line went extinct sometime in the 1970's.

Its reported seen today perhaps because it is such an awesome possibility one that is too good to let go. But I feel is there was still any individuals left that we'd have bagged one by now. I do maintain that Sasquatch never possessed supernatural powers.

My opinion is that Sasquatch was not a myth. I believe that Sasquatch was a relic population of a hominid ancestor that lived on in small numbers into the late mid 20th century. I think the line went extinct sometime in the 1970's.

proof?

A good observation.

Perhaps this is only a monster from our evolutionary past, far back when other species of hominids existed, such as Homo Neanderthalis. Did Cro-Magnon humans encounter Neanderthals? What was the outcome of those meetings? We can say with some certainty that Neanderthals no longer exist, but modern man, who is the same species as Cro-Magnon, has survived.

Are Sasquacth Neanderthals who evolved? I don't think so, being as they'd have had to give up fire and tool making; something that Neanderthals had for hundreds of thousands of years.

Look up the MYH16 gene, that might give you an idea how long ago we must have split from Bigfoot.

What if bigfoot has language as some suspect? Things don't naturally organize they tend to go from organization to a mess. Look at the increased rate of autism in humans in just the last two decades. Autism is associated with a slight defect in the MYH16 gene, among other genes in that same general area of the genome, science just hasn't figured out the cause for the mutation. They think it is possibly the result of something environmental. Maybe bigfoot split from us because of a similar mutation or occurrence in the not so distant past. There is also new evidence that genetic mutations happen in spurts and not over long periods of time.

Guest Lesmore

Bigfoot is a myth, based on folklore. Trolls, Goblins, etc. are also myths, but we don't hear about them much...as they are part of European folklore, not so much in North America.

Next question....

Guest gershake

Well in my part of Europe one never hears anything about trolls and goblins. I mean other than in fairytales of course. There are no alleged real-life sightings of those here. Bigfeet in North America on the other hand...

Wait a minute, there are reports of trolls and goblins, you just haven't done a search and they don't make the news like bigfoot. Also, there are Indian Legends of the "little people" as well as "bear people" aka possibly Sasquatch. Here are a couple of links as an example:

http://phantomsandbeasts.blogspot.com/2007/07/road-trolls.html

http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/LittlePeopleoftheCherokee-Cherokee.html

Myth?well,guess that depends on what you consider myth.there is a good deal of persistance in this whole BF thing,rule out the obvious hoaxes,lies and mistaken ID{bears?} and you still have unexplained reports from people you would trust in a court of law w/nothing to gain by coming forward.

combine that w/the fact they will face ridicule from friends,family & strangers for doing so,yet still do. dont know id call it myth,but i think i could safely call it a persistant example of possibility.

Bigfoot is a myth, based on folklore. Trolls, Goblins, etc. are also myths, but we don't hear about them much...as they are part of European folklore, not so much in North America.

Next question....

But if bigfoot were really a myth, wouldn't it have died out? Seems to me like you are making a broad generalization Les