Maps: Correlation Between Missing Persons & Sasquatch

Guest MrMudder

That's kind of where Paulides loses me, he seems too open to the idea of the paranormal stuff. His books really do make you think, and Bigfoot fits rather well, but their are other explanations, although I admit some of the stories seem to defy logic.

I don´t get why LTBF. All he did was compile 2 books about missing people. He doesnt say what it could be. He keeps that open for the readers to decide.

Well I don´t think having an open mind makes him any less more credible or not. Just ask youreself how many people think you´re a nutcase for believing in BF? ;) Some cases are quite freaky, but I would not say aliens are doing it. To each his own. :)

Edited by hesse

Paulides stance on the possible culprits don't lessen the strangeness of some of these reports. I guess he will be open to the paranormal and alien/ufo aspect as these are additional markets to tap into. He's an author who will be looking to secure as many sales as possible, I don't have a problem with that myself. No matter what he's certainly opened a can of worms with this book and will hopefully lead to more people treating the great outdoors with just that little bit more respect than the did previously.

Paulides stance on the possible culprits don't lessen the strangeness of some of these reports. I guess he will be open to the paranormal and alien/ufo aspect as these are additional markets to tap into. He's an author who will be looking to secure as many sales as possible, I don't have a problem with that myself. No matter what he's certainly opened a can of worms with this book and will hopefully lead to more people treating the great outdoors with just that little bit more respect than the did previously.

Agreed on all points, my only issue with Mr. Paulides, being a self proclaimed Bigfoot researcher, he loses some credibility when he is willing to follow the talk show host down a path where any paranormal option is valid. I also cannot make the connection between UFO's and Bigfoot, and I don't think he does either.

Maybe I'm wrong, but.......

I got the impression that Paulides set out to write a book with a thesis that a) exposed the extent of disappearances in national parks, and b. attributed many of these disappearances to bigfoot. He is, after all, a researcher and author of bigfoot-related material.

Reading the first book, it seemed that he led up to this point in several of the case studies, then edited it out. As a result the case studies are left hanging.

I think that at some point in writing the volumes he realized three things: That most of the disappearances, taken individually, could be attributed to other causes; that pinning them on bigfoot specifically would lead to unnecessary criticism; and that the sheer number of disappearances alone was worthy of publication.

I think that he also tactically recognized that public recognition is imminent, and that upon public recognition, he could then link bigfoot to the disappearances as a possible cause for many, and probable cause for some with a receptive audience.

Edited by JDL

Very nicely said you all. I wish my english writing skills were better. It would be so much easier to put my thoughts into words. Im kinda left mute... :D

...... No matter what he's certainly opened a can of worms with this book and will hopefully lead to more people treating the great outdoors with just that little bit more respect than the did previously.

Also, by heightening the public's awareness of these disapearances, people may begin to pay a little more attention to inexplicable disapearances and ask more frequently -- what the heck is going on?

I will be the first to acknowledge there's lots of ways to die out in the Northwest's wildlands, hypothermia being most common. People frequently drown (although less in wilderness areas), fall into glacial crevasses and the corpse stays hidden there for decades; one guy in the Three Sisters Wilderness climbed a tree, lashed himself to it, then shot himself - took awhile to find him.

But there's these 'other' cases where well-equipped people vanish in areas that are relatively low-risk, and then no evidence is found, sometimes never. These are the instances that pique my curiosity and have kept me thinking and wondering about certain dispearances for many years. Paulides has demonstrated that bizarre disappearances occur a lot more than anyone expects -- I think he even surprised himself when he discovered the volume of cases out there.

Edited by OTC

What are some of the strange disappearances mentioned in the book?

Below is a map of Oregon with arrows showing missing hikers. What area of Oregon is shown and what is the story with it?

We live a couple of hours from this location with the big red dot.

post-447-0-60126000-1358919811_thumb.jpg

I've been to Queen Wilhelmina State Park in Arkansas and seen where a lady disappeared without a trace while walking down a heavily used trail on her way to her car. She was less that 200 yards from the parking lot and disappeared. This is in west Arkansas, in the Ouachita Mtns, not far as the crow flies from the Kiamichi Mtns, in OK, also not far from Honobia, OK.

Here's the report on the missing woman, 3rd article down the page she disapeared 01/26/01 http://www.asp.arkansas.gov/asp/hot_cases.html

This happened before we moved here in 05 but it was still being talked about. We can see the lights from the lodge at night from our front yard and the area is vast. We've walked the trails up at the lodge and also the back country, it's extremely rugged off the trails. I've included a couple pics of the area, one from my front yard and the other from one of the vistas just to show what the area looks like.

There are several reports of sightings in this area and more than a handful of reports that I've taken independantly.

I'm on the fence about b/f's being the culprit of people's disapearances. But...........

post-110-0-81423800-1358926231_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-09319500-1358926271_thumb.jpg

Guest crabshack

That's kind of where Paulides loses me, he seems too open to the idea of the paranormal stuff.

I'm open to those ideas also, because of statements from several researchers this past year.

Edited by crabshack