The Falcon Project - Launching Spring '2015

Cotter

funding

might become an issue towards fall

I thought it was meant to be up in the air by summer? Or did I miss something?

I completely understand if it takes a bit more time-- I'm just excited :D

One thing William communicated is he does not like typing out his responses, that is why I was able to speak with him personally,

all I asked for was a written response to a few questions, and that turned into an 1 1/2 interview with me giving him several outs 

to cut it shorter. So I guess he would rather disseminate information via an interview format. Down the road when the project gets

moving I will see if he is still as available. I am satisfied at this point that this spring will see the start of the whole process, but funding

might become an issue towards fall, still not 100% on whether he has enough to finish the craft and support the ground crews, though

that might be the case, he certainly has enough to get the ground crews going and make the 50% down payment on the craft, which itself

is in the $250.00 range for cost. I would have to estimate the cost of the ground crews to be minimal, $10,000 or less for supplies and food,

much of the equipment being used has already been donated, 10 thermals from FLIR for example, and the team is bringing some it their

own to round out the need.

I assume that you mistyped the cost here.  The craft has been priced at 350,000 bucks,  right? so 1/2 of that would be $175,000.00.  Thats alot of money!  The failed kickstarter campaign only had about $11,000 pledged, so no money came out of that.  so is this funded by a private backer? Any idea who is building this craft, or where this craft will be built?

Well Nathan, I for one have been supporting the project in the Science thread, and while I wish I had the freedom that you have and being 30 younger I would be

joining you in the field! So suffice it to say that you are going for yourself, but also for allot of us who cannot do to circumstances enjoy such an adventure. It should

be productive in my perspective, tracking and observing are the standard methods of field biologists as you well know. The time being spent is of the utmost importance and

I think some of these creatures will become quite used to your presence, and maybe this will lead to something special being documented. The shear presence of a 

team for that period of time is bound to attract attention from these creatures, care must be taken to not appear threatening and to gain some trust. I will eagerly await

updates on the project, but knowing someone like yourself is on the team is reassuring.

Thanks LBC and all those here, the word excited is an understatement compared to my current state of being.

As I understand it we are about 60 or so days away from deployment. We are currently getting things rolling on our gear lists and study site locations. There is a load of information being swapped back and forth as we are discussing our daily activities, responsibilities and protocols. Things are looking good, more to come as things take shape.

Thanks Nathan, we certainly will be looking forward to it, I do not know if you can answer this question, but does the project have the funds needed 

to build the craft by summer, or is it hoping that by having the project underway this will allow some avenues to gain some income streams to support

the build and deployment.

Nathan, who is handling the coordination of the locations, supplies, and methods that you will use in the field?

Is there a person in charge of the ground game?

Have they given you a date when the dual-hulled blimp will be deployed?

Are you legally allowed to carry a firearm where you will be deployed?  Because the one article I read said that the team members will be armed.

Has the Falcon project offered you health insurance, or legal assistance, if you run into any trouble ?

Nathan, who is handling the coordination of the locations, supplies, and methods that you will use in the field?

Is there a person in charge of the ground game?

Have they given you a date when the dual-hulled blimp will be deployed?

Are you legally allowed to carry a firearm where you will be deployed? Because the one article I read said that the team members will be armed.

Has the Falcon project offered you health insurance, or legal assistance, if you run into any trouble ?

William and Meldrum are handling the area selection as I understand it, we have recently been assigned a feild coordinator for gear and supply runs. She and the group are getting things laid out for deployment.

We will also be assigned 1.5 to 2 weeks of classes and workshops to learn all protocols, contingencies and methods to be used in our study. We also will be training with some of the new thermal equipment to more effectively use it in the field.

As far as I know, there has not been an assigned date for the airships launch as the ground teams efforts and findings will directly influence the launch time.

We will be carrying firearms for protection (handguns) only, as for legal issues project wise we are protected by a state defined scientific project clause. On the individual level our insurance and such related services has yet to be addressed.

Edited by NathanFooter

Nathan have you prepared yourself for the very real possibility that this effort will produce zero evidence of bigfoot?

Yes, I am very aware it is possible that we could find nothing. These creatures are not behind every tree and rock.

That being said, I am also aware of the very real possibility that we may find what we are looking for as we will be in an area with a report history that continues to produce.

We will be carrying firearms for protection (handguns) only, as for legal issues project wise we are protected by a state defined scientific project clause. On the individual level our insurance and such related services has yet to be addressed.

What do you anticipate needing protection from?

Do you have any documentation on the  'state defined scientific project clause' relating to handguns?

Who told you this?

The US constitution would be a good place to look for a citizen's right to bear arms.

In addition, if the state has an open carry law, or if the participants purchase a small game license, they may be covered as well.

I don't know as if Nathan was suggesting the project clause had anything to do with the groups exercising their rights. 

May as well ask how the project clause relates to freedom of the press. 

Even states with open carry laws, probably still demand registration of the handgun.

I'm not questioning the legality of carrying a weapon, by someone who knows the laws, but if he was told 'SPECIAL UNIVERSITY EXEMPTION CLAUSE' or something like that, I have never heard of such a thing.  I want to know who told them they had a special clause, and if they were told where the clause could be found.

I'm all for carrying guns in the woods, but If he was mislead about the legal points of it, I would like to be able to help him out.  Especially considering that he has no company insurance or legal assistance.

True, I await his clarification as I don't read the two (special clause and handgun carrying) as related in his post.  Though I can see how they could be.....

If I'm not mistaken, the handgun registration law pertains to the state in which you reside.  In Michigan, if you want to own a handgun you must register it.

However, if someone was borrowing a handgun from someone, there would be some wiggle room as you don't need to register every handgun you use.  (imagine the nightmare at the shooting range!  LOL!)

Here's a map that may be useful.

Reg_Map_2009.png

Nathan, are you travelling to the PNW to partake in the classes?

Have you had to give up any job or living arrangments to partake in this endeavor?

What do you anticipate needing protection from?

Do you have any documentation on the 'state defined scientific project clause' relating to handguns?

Who told you this?

I should have defined a seperation, the projects protection was not in referance to weapons use but rather from any question of land use and governmental concern. As far as weapons go, we are all required to acquire our cpl and or ccw.

Yes, we all are required to take the 2 weeks of training to prepare for the study.

Yes I will be leaving a my employment to take on this project but this was already planned as I was already preparing to move to WA state for better research and work opportunities.

Edited by NathanFooter