The Falcon Project - Launching Spring '2015

Cotter

The BF community refuses to police it's own or take a stand against fraud.

I guess that depends on what you consider "the BF community". This site regularly calls out frauds, charlatans, liars and all sorts of ne'er do wells. Anyone who wants in "the BF community" or is already a part of it is doing themselves a dis-service if they don't join in here to find out exactly what is going on.

• Upvote 3

BFF Patron

^Yes, this is part of the problem, my fear is many  BF afficionado's scan this forum anonymously and as nonmembers, possibly thinking I wouldn't want to be caught here with my pants down but I'd use anything I can find here as gospel when vetted.  

I've attempted to make changes in that respect as have countless others, but it takes a village to make a change.  Many of the current members and admins are doing a fine job of invitational diplomacy, some need to step it up.  We are only as good as our networking manners and desire to be better diplomats for the "BF community" can overcome the "BF doesn't exist inertial movement".   (And just to be clear I haven't been to Doc Johnson's HA's but I have  attended day conferences sponsored by his TS-USA habituation efforts and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express or two; and I haven't seen a cloaked BF yet but I have my own details of my sighting I have to live with that most others who have sightings don't).  

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

What we saw here was a lot of excitement for the project from most proponents.    I was one of the proponents with doubts because I have attempted  aerial photography and know the challenges,  but had to admit that they might get lucky and be able to track down where the BF were sleeping.    So I don't think the BF Community had anything to do with the projects demise.   I think it was an internal meltdown of the principal characters in response to unbridled over reach of the scope of the project.   Apparently donors felt the same way about the project and did not step up.    If proponents had anything to do with the projects demise, it was because they did not send money.    If the project had been fully funded it would be active now until they spent all the money.   Could it be that they just burned through all the money?   No money, no project. 

I think the ground team was under the impression that ISU (or ISU Foundation) was providing their funds.

With the blessing of Dr. Meldrum.

When it came down to being the responsibility of Barnes, I'll bet a lot of the ground team was like "uh oh".

Grossly disappointing but not too surprising. Especially given some of the individuals involved.

Good luck in your new endeavours Nathan. Who knows what lies in store?

Admin

No money, no project. 

I was under the impression the money was a done deal...  not sure if I should blame myself for not looking into it more carefully or the project marketing team for misleading, if they did.

Nathan will be ok, he's a winner and will succeed anyway.

• Upvote 1

While this project may have come to a halt, and I had my reservations about the funding given the evasive answers

to those type of questions, William Barnes is not to be blamed, he tried all he could to get the project to work,

and funding is simply not out there for this type of research. The idea certainly has merit and should a wealthy

donor enter the picture, perhaps it could still be resurrected. Nathan is landing on his feet and will contribute

to this field on his own, as he has always done. I hope that we can eventually put a long term field study like the

idea of the Falcon Project together with all the tools and funding, that is a vision not to be lost. Failure is often

the launching pad for future success, so that is what I hope. William might be done, or perhaps he is not, but this

is not a reason for us to stop dreaming of what is possible.

BFF Patron

A scaled down version of the project could be done for much less money and is in reach of someone with the desire and background to do it.    While I do have concerns of the ability of any aerial platform to see through dense tree canopy, there are, on the higher rocky slopes, less tree density and because of the lack of human trails and access, for all I know, it is more likely that BF would be out in the open and observable from the air, especially in the day time.     This bigfoot is only active at night is a myth and the P/G film and my own experience are evidence enough of that for me.      That aspect has merit, can be done in daylight with visual high definition cameras which are much lighter cheaper and several orders of magnitude of resolution higher than FLIR equipment.    Daylight below 400 is legal, requires no permits,   and is doable with off the shelf components like advertising blimps and hobbyist radio control equipment.    400 is a good altitude in that it does not require expensive and heavy telephoto lenses but it still high enough that slow turning propellers would make very little noise and not be heard from the ground.    The CIA in Vietnam, took a commercially available sail plane, fitted it with a large slow turning propeller, and used it for low altitude and silent aerial reconnaissance.   It made it through the war without being heard and shot down so the concept is workable.       With the advertising blimp supporting the camera and radio control equipment, and slow moving geared propellers, the thing would be very quiet and have hours of endurance.   You motor up wind, then allow the craft to drift silently down wind in a search pattern.    Perhaps that endurance could even be enhanced with solar panel arrays.  Daylight  HD video of an unaware  BF walking would be a lot more useful than a glowing blob FLIR photo.   

The Falcon project vastly overreached.     The project should have been approached from a more modest direction like I have detailed above, then if it held promise or yielded any results, could have been expanded with greater capabilities and performance or simply more blimps.     Anyone that has built their own airplane does not start with a  F-15 jet replica but you start with something more on the piper cub end of the complexity scale and work up from there. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Admin

I guess that depends on what you consider "the BF community". This site regularly calls out frauds, charlatans, liars and all sorts of ne'er do wells. Anyone who wants in "the BF community" or is already a part of it is doing themselves a dis-service if they don't join in here to find out exactly what is going on.

Couldn't have said it any better, Bravo!

I don't know how many times I have seen or heard statements by people that made me think, "Man, you should have been in the discussion at BFF before you said that."

• Upvote 1

Hopefully, N8 will BALE on the Sasquatch hunting nonsense. Washington Sasquatch KNOW WHAT A THERMAL UNIT IS AND WHAT WE CAN SEE WITH IT, thanks to the Olympic Project Brown Fiasco, which unfortunately, is a TOTAL DISASTER to N8 who wanted to use Thermal imaging to capture the Squatch pod. That boat has sailed, because the Squatches have a grapevine, and who knows how far the information on THERMAL IMAGERS AND THAT HUMANS CAN SEE AT NIGHT has gone in 2 years?

There are a couple of possible ways to get Squatchy on video that Wag knows of. I will of course, not disclose that (possible) information here. :wild:

Getting Squatchy in SUPER SUPER DENSE FOREST JUNGLE OF THE NW is highly improbable unless you have a habituation scenario, and that puppy HAS BEEN BLOWN to smithereens.

Why someone would even venture into a ''RANDOM'' Sasquatch scenario to get them on video is beyond comprehension, given the amount of information available.

Edited by Wag

Guest Divergent1

Respectfully Wag, no. I am going to continue in research and become established here in WA. I have good friends and opportunities out here.

Do what makes you happy, the worst thing that could happen is that camping becomes a hobby. I grew up in Washington state, I of course, love it, you probably will too as long as you aren't too materialistic.

Edited by Divergent1

It is a tangled web we weave, but more will come out on the project, and the reasons for it's failure at this point, none of which will be surprising.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Guest Crowlogic

I suspect the idea of an airship built for the purpose could have been more of a gimmick to get $$$$ and attention than for actually creating a new  bigfoot research tool.  The truth is that airships exist to do the job already and they are not mind bogging expensive to procure.  A traditional hot air/helium balloon could have been modified for the task.  But a hot air balloon does not carry with it the cache of "we're so serious about this we're even inventing the tools to do it" element.  It smacks of yet another let's wow em in the cheap seats ploy.  They need to be quietly aloft for long periods well the technology for it has existed for over 100 years.

hab_zpsqbeapg1f.jpg

Uhm no, a hot air balloon cannot be modified to fly for 7 hours over a target. But, they didn't even have a mock up demo model that I have seen. Like 1/4 scale. NOTHING

And apparent;ly it was a separate company that was going to build the blimp for ''animal'' research in Africa, that actually could have gotten $$.

N8 sure is quite, hope the MIB's didn't take his BF therms, forgot to tell him about thems MIB'S.

Oh, he's probably cashing his check from Barnes.