Population Pockets

BobbyO

Great thread. I can vouch on the hounds comments, regarding family dogs. Mobility too figures in..regarding foraging and utilizing nutritional capability of landscape. I think they have aquatic tendencies regarding utilizing water ... and its open free ranging through thick cover without worry about tracks, limitations on nutrition and of course hydration. Another factor regarding use of riparian travel is limited field sign.

...I think an OP population would only travel south as far as the Columbia River, turn east, if at all, to mingal with populations as far as the Mt. Saint Helens area, and back sometimes. Crossing the river would be an act of desperation on their part...

Swimming that 1/2 mile wide Columbia River below Bonneville is no challenge at all for BF. Mere humans do it all the time, back & forth to get in a 1-mile swim. Above Bonneville, it's a just a swim across a placid lake.

Consider too that there have been quite a few sightings along I-84 (for those unfamiliar, this interstate parallels the Columbia River on the Oregon side) and Washington's SR-14 on the north side of BF that seemingly were coming from or going to the Columbia.

The first person I ever met who claimed to have seen a BF said that his sighting was at night, of one swimming across the Columbia.

Great story, Julio. That is north of Bakersfield and about 75 miles south of where I live, also about 20 miles from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. I live only about 10 miles from where the foothills really start, and I have no doubt the whole of the eastern side of the Central Valley is bf habitat.

Were abouts are you

kings canyon?......I'm near Hanford

Great story, Julio. That is north of Bakersfield and about 75 miles south of where I live, also about 20 miles from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. I live only about 10 miles from where the foothills really start, and I have no doubt the whole of the eastern side of the Central Valley is bf habitat.

I absolutely disagree with this statement