A Discussion On Sasquatch Musculature & Raw Strength

This has been of great interest for me the last three weeks, as I've had this conversation with a few zoologists and a few of my other friends that enjoy going on expeditions every once in a while. So, when we are discussing the strength and muscle power of a Sasquatch, we need to take a few things into perspective and make a anecdotal and educated comparison here between known species. Now, for me, this is what I am comparing (feel free to discuss your opinion).

•An alpha male Sasquatch, around 8 1/2 feet to 9 1/2 feet tall, weighing about 400-700 pounds. A very muscular one, not a flabby one, but like a big bodybuilder. Imagine that for a few minutes.

Now, I want to take a look at some of the other interesting things I've been studying about chimps and great apes that I find both shocking and very compelling. So, this is from a Guiness World Record here in the USA.

"In 1924 'Boma' a 165 Lbs male chimp at the Bronx zoo, New York, recorded a right handed pull (feet braced) of 847 Lbs on a dynamometer.(the comparison given is 210 Lbs for a man of the same weight). On another occasion, "'Suzette' registered a pull of 1260 Lbs while in a rage (same zoo)."

"A record form the USA of a 100 Lbs chimp achieving a dead lift of 600 Lbs with ease sugests that, with training, a Male gorilla could raise 1800 Lbs.".

I find this to be incredible. A chimp that's a lot stronger than a human. I've always read stories on how chimps can be a very big threat to humans, but didn't know they were that strong. 1300 Lbs? Amazing to say the least.

Now, while a Silverback Gorilla is hard to measure when it comes to brute strength, experts seem to vary a lot. Some say, at the least, that a gorilla is up to 8-12 times stronger, and at the most, 20-25 times stronger. And, a verified report from a zoo has shown, that on multiple occasions, Silverbacks, when given 2 inch thick steel rods, can bend them and snap them without breaking them in half.

Now, can you imagine a Sasquatch with the same musculature and body structure? I've been to the Zoo two times in my life, and have seen Silverbacks up close, and they do have MASSIVE muscles and shoulders. However, after having an encounter two years back, the creature I witnessed easily has the same amount of musculature, and if not bigger, shoulders.

You hear all of these reports about Sasquatch breaking trees in half and limbs the size of a person clean in half, and throwing triple digit weight rocks with ease and for very long distances.

I'm just having a tough time thinking how strong a fully grown, alpha male Sasquatch might be.

Edited by Austin M.

Well you might or not get your butt kicked. Bring a gun or sword. But chances are you'll drop your jaw and come back to this forum.

There are reports of smaller, 4 to 5 foot tall bigfoot around the world. A gun or sword should easily handle them. As you said the chimps and gorillas display of strength is impressive. But for the 10 to 12 footers. Bring a gun.

Edited by kampz

Guest poignant

Based on an eyewitness account that was provided, I did a conservative estimate and came up with the following figures assuming:

- sasquatch mass = 200 kg (i.e. 440lbs)

- elevation gain = 27 m (i.e. 30%grade and 50 yards)

- time taken = 4 seconds

The amount of power generated is in excess of 13,300 W.

The elite human athlete only generates about 6 W / kg

The sasquatch in this case is easily generating well over 66 W/kg, making it 10 times stronger than any human professional athlete or about 15 times stronger than an average Joe.

Recalculate for a bigger sasquatch (e.g. 400 kgs or 880lbs), and you basically have a creature that is easily 20 to 30 times stronger than a human being.

Guest poignant

Thanks. Biomechanics is a beautiful topic.

At least we have a ballpark for what size handcuffs and footcuffs to prepare when they bring one in... :D

Nice posts Poignant.

Bare with everyone,

I think a person like Brock Lesnar could defeat a gorilla with his bare-hands by choking.(submission) I wonder if Brock or Arnold could defeat a 6 or 7ft bigfoot like that? Forget the 10ft+ bigfoots. Unless you want to discuss religion(David & Goliath). Which we can't! I wonder how far a log or rock could go. But Austin M, at least some of these bigfoots gotta be comparable to gorillas and chimps and some comparable to well... a robot? There's nothing to compare the 12 footers. It's got to be a sight to see. I guess I cracked the how the Pyramids of Giza got made.

A primary factor in the the muscular strength of humans is related to the brain's constant restraint on muscles preventing them from being used at their maximum strength and that is related to a feature that is prominent in humans and almost non-existent in other animals: white matter which is a very light colored brain tissue. We are used to calling our brain tissue "gray matter" because it is gray in all animals and is colored gray also in the human but mostly in the cortex of the human brain. When we see a human brain sliced apart we see the white matter in the middle and the gray matter along the outside surfaces. This white matter acts as a modulator on the muscle and prevents it from being used in its full capacity, while simultaneously guiding the human's muscular movement in fine and careful control of the limbs and other voluntary muscle systems. We know that the actual strength of human muscle is very much like other related animals because when the human over-rides the brain's control, either by chemical or electrical shock (insulin or electric stimulation) we see that humans, just like chimps and gorillas, can actually leap across rooms and perform feats of great strength but without the kind of finesse that most of our motions express normally. It appears that as the brain grew to its great size (almost three times the size of our closest living relatives), it did a lot of things one of which is its evolved capacity for fine motion control in our voluntary muscles, among other things, like our uniquely human ability to more completely understand what others are thinking and to act in conjunction with that understanding. My thoughts are that the uniquely human capacity to understand and anticipate what other humans are thinking or how they are likely to act is what gave us the edge in strategizing our relationship to others and eventually able to form the kinds of social connections that have made humans so capable and dominant. If Bf exists as our ancestors I suspect they share this with us and so it is this kind of mentality that allows them to elude us...unlike all other animals they are able to understand what we are up to and take effort to foil or attempts to deliberately find them. Cheers.

Guest squatchrider

Nice posts Poignant.

Bare with everyone,

I think a person like Brock Lesnar could defeat a gorilla with his bare-hands by choking.(submission) I wonder if Brock or Arnold could defeat a 6 or 7ft bigfoot like that? Forget the 10ft+ bigfoots. Unless you want to discuss religion(David & Goliath). Which we can't! I wonder how far a log or rock could go. But Austin M, at least some of these bigfoots gotta be comparable to gorillas and chimps and some comparable to well... a robot? There's nothing to compare the 12 footers. It's got to be a sight to see. I guess I cracked the how the Pyramids of Giza got made.

No human being is going to win in a hand to hand unarmed battle with a gorilla. A full grown gorilla could rip any human man apart limb by limb. A full grown man really doesn't have much of a chance with a full grown chimpanzee but might be able to defend himself well enough to not get killed.

Guest Luckyfoot

No human being is going to win in a hand to hand unarmed battle with a gorilla. A full grown gorilla could rip any human man apart limb by limb. A full grown man really doesn't have much of a chance with a full grown chimpanzee but might be able to defend himself well enough to not get killed.

I kinda agree. I was going to post , then I wasn't , then I was.... so what the hell.... If this is irrelevant, I'll understand.

I gots a story. Probably a BS. story , but it pertains to the man vs. beast topic and I heard it from a chiropractor I really like.

Back in the 70's when karatay was sweeping the land , there was a large dude practising in northern california that had garnered a significant reputation.

The way it was relayed to me is that he was Marlboro man -esque.

So this large sized ass kicker dude with a blackbelt is convinced he can kick a bear's ass. Barehanded.

One day , our hero has gathered all his courage and goes out to the local dump to find a bear - to put his theory into practice.

Story goes , he finds a not very large bear eating some trash. He jumps on it's back and starts wailing away - hard as he can. Bear shrugs him off and keeps eating.

Guy gets up , walks away realizing he had given it his best , his hands were sore.The quote relayed to me was that it was like punching a brick wall.

$0.02

Edited by Luckyfoot

Guest Thepattywagon

The factors that enable superior strength for Apes and Chimps may not be shared with another primate that is 'closer' to Human than they are.

But my personal feeling is that BF does possess that sort of strength, which is probably why they can coexist with bears.

'Mutually Assured Destruction'.

Its been my theory that there is a good reason that bears usually run from humans. Not because they are scared of humans so much as that we look a lot like something else that they would rather not deal with.

Guest OntarioSquatch

They don't seem to rely on tools, so I think it makes sense that evolution would bring out the strongest of them. Muscle size isn't a reliable indicator when comparing different species.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

I am skeptical that a 12 ft biped could successfully navigate around the forest, regardless of strength. Such height and mass would put a tremendous strain on skeletal and connective tissues, so those structures would have to be equally increased.

I agree that no human could come close to defeating an adult male gorilla, and would be very surprised to learn of a chimp being beaten. They are imo the most terrifying of creatures due to their athleticism and tendency toward aggression.

As far as episodes of super-human strength are concerned, I am skeptical of those as well. In war I witnessed many instances in which additional strength would have been life-saving. In each of those occurrences, the victim came up just short.

For sale instance, I'd estimate that the enemy troops averaged 2/3 the size of our men (US, Canadian and European troops),and yet I can tell you from experience that it only takes two of them to hold a big man down and execute him. What other time would be more likely to illicit a show of strength than when the difference between life, and death at knife point (a fate I narrowly escaped myself), depends upon immediate physical escape?

Edited by hunt