Dismal Swamp 11/24/2012

Guest Cervelo

Thank You {career & service}.

No, I'm not in the Aux. There's Nothing wrong with it, I'm just not that interested. And there's already a bunch of STUFF I want to do but don't have enough time for....

By “ATC†I presume you mean “Air Traffic Controlâ€. My wife and daughter have a kind of running joke about how I would sound if I tried to do that job. I to get 'tongue tied' very easily. <g>

Yeah, Okinawa is DEFINITELY safer than Afghanistan....

My BF looked at it last night. It's 2000' because it's a wildlife preservation area. The entire swamp and Lake Drummond are included.

I was interested in doing KAP in the GDS until I found out you that {among other things} you can't fly kites over a National Wildlife Refuge. I don't necessarily agree with that, but that's the way it is.

There is no such restriction in the NC Dismal Swamp State Park, so eventually I'd like to try KAPing there. NC State Parks require - as of a year or two ago - a permit, that is all.

“Kite Aerial Photography" {or KAP} has been around since the 19th century, when a Frenchman named Arthur Batut shot his first aerial image in 1888. {Supposedly, an Englishman named Archibald did it in 1887, but so far there are no photos known to exist.}

KAP has really 'taken off' {pun intended ;)} with the advent digital photography {& relatively inexpensive digital electronics}. It has also lead to a related hobby, “Kite Aerial Video†{or KAV}.

That site Cerv linked has a formum @ this address:

http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/

I go by “CGKiteman†& “RocKiteman†on that forum. {I created the second account when I had trouble with the first one. Then I got the first one working again, & I just kept them both.}

You may also see references to “Balloon Aerial Photography†{or BAP}, & “Pole Aerial Photography†{or PAP}. BAP involves using a balloon instead of a kite. PAP involves using an extended pole for 'aerial' photos when nothing else is practical or possible.

You can go the fairly inexpensive route, or really invest the $$$, depending on what you want to do.

If you already have a camera, the hardware to build a 'fixed' {non-rotating & non-tilting} KAP rig, & a suitable kite, you have all you need to start. If you already have R/C model airplane electronics {transmitter, receiver, servos, etc.} as well as the stuff I just mentioned, you can build yourself a radio controlled rig.