Dismal Swamp 11/24/2012

Guest Cervelo

Guest wudewasa

W,

Sounds like a plan to me but that's the rub about the swamp, it's hard to get in a full day when we have to be out by dark.

I'm up for camping at the lock if you are, haven't done it because of the having to leave a vehicle at the put in and it's almost guaranteed it will be broken into...will have to figure that out.

Can you camp/stay at a hotel at another site and then bike in? Also, do you use a mountain or road bike?

There are other ways to deter aggressive species besides firearms.

Edited by wudewasa

Heck we could have a pretty good group if enough people have an interest and could all camp at the lock and have our own little Dismal Swamp Bigfoot Bash!!!

Well, that pretty much rules out seeing any sasquatch if it's only an overnight.

If you stay for three months however now we're talkin'... :keeporder:

Edited by DWA

Guest Cervelo

You tha man!!!

Can you camp/stay at a hotel at another site and then bike in? Also, do you use a mountain or road bike?

There are other ways to deter aggressive species besides firearms.

It would be a pretty long ride but doable, I've got a coworker that lives in the area that may agreed to drop us off, so that's an option.

This has been my steed of choice lately but it does have its drawbacks to a mountain bike which would be the best choice, road is a no go.

60FEB399-FB66-4A94-A17E-9505DABC9CA5-996-00000150723F06B5.jpg

Yeah I'm with you on the alternate defense equipment good old bear spray will deter most everything.

Guest wudewasa

DWA,

Staying overnight works. The Finding Bigfoot crew goes out for one night and they find sasquatches EVERYWHERE....

:onthequiet:

Guest Lorihjf

I was under the impression that the camping at the lock was only accessible by boat/kayak...Is there a also access by bike? I don't have a bike, and not sure how by bad hip would take that anyway, but if yall decide to kayak in, I'd be up for it too! Of course, depending on when, as I have to work for a living. If for some reason I didn't attend, I live about 10 miles away. I could help with transport/parking etc. if you don't want to leave your vehicles in the area.

Just a thought. :D

Guest Cervelo

Yep the only way to the campsite is by boat.

I've got two yaks and a canoe so we would have enough boats to get to the campsite.

It's alittle tough to get to some of the interior roads by boat. That's why I've been riding my bike in the last couple of times.

Sounds strange but kinda hard to get out of the boat along the lake edge, very marshy and little solid ground, so getting very wet is almost guaranteed.

There's is one road on the left of the Feeder ditch that has easy access and I have walked it some.

If we camp the only downside is we won't be be able to hear much over the lock (water rushing out).

I really want to walk some of the roads at night. I'm assuming that the reason for no night paddling is just people imbibing two much and ending up in the water or maybe it's the nonexistent alligators LOL!

But I'm still up for trying to pull something together let's keep talkIng.

Guest SquatchinNY

I won't be able to come, sorry.

:D

Maybe in a few years I'll drop by.

Edited by SquatchinNY

Guest Lorihjf

I'm so excited...I think I've convinced my non-believer-boyfriend to kayak to the lock this weekend. We've never been up the feeder ditch in the kayaks, so I'd like to get a feel for the area. We typically kayak at Merchant's Millpond in Gates County, or the tributaries leading to the sounds around here. All are swamp and mixed hardwood/pine forest, so I'm sure it will be a similar feel. It's supposed to be 74 and sunny saturday with a wind SSW at 9, so it should be perfect! You can be sure...I'll have my eyes and ears open!

:sungum:

Guest Cervelo

Lori,

Go early depending on the outflow, the feeder ditch can take twice as long as you would think since your paddling up stream.

Also you can get smaller yaks in at the intersection of the feeder ditch and the waterway.

There is a a dock there but no ramp, so it can be a little tricky getting in and out of the boat.

As you paddle in there is a farm on the right and a road that parallels the feeder ditch.

About 3/4 of the way look for a small stream that feeds in from the left (there are several) this one looks just big enough to paddle up.

There is a road there that is a nice walk if you want to do some snooping around.

You will love Lake Drummond it's a strange feeling to be on a 3000 acre lake alone, it can get very rough in the open if the winds blowing.

Work the edges and you should get a visit from otters!

I might be down there as well but on my bike, haven't made up my mind if I'm going east or west this weekend.

But if I do I'll give out a whoop and it will be our little secret LOL!

Guest Lorihjf

LOL...thanks for the info...I'll be listening! Would be a good place to practice huh. I heard a little whoop this morning (several in succession) but I really think it was an owl. Not the typical call I hear from my local owls, but still...was too uniform everytime I think. I really need to study up!

Thanks

Lori