The Kill Club

norseman

Good thread norseman. I'm in the one-kill camp. I do not think that DNA will be enough, but coupled with a few appendages from a type specimen it would most definately be.

As far as going about this - you've got two polar objectives:

A) Locating a specimen at a close enough range to positively ID it

B) Getting out of Dodge alive after the kill.

I think the former is best achieved in a small group, much like P/G. Most likely horseback in prime country. Scents may work. Norseman, sounds like you have been around critters. Animals communicate with scents in ways that we don't always quite understand. I'm no expert on primate scent abilities, but I would imagine BF is much more in tune to scents in the woods than us humans are. Wood knocking and howling ala Finding Bigfoot is overdone IMO. Predator calls would be interesting though.

The later would best be done in a larger group, just to ensure you have enough firepower while transporting the goods. I would also rather be in a vehicle as soon as possible. This could prove very difficult given the remoteness of some locations. And if you believe some reports they can move faster than a 4-wheeler can navigate curvy mountainous roads. Maybe a satellite phone call to that Navy SEAL extraction team to come in via helicopter? ;) I think loud and fast is the way to get out. Leave the others confused and scared before they can react.

The way I look at it, you want to sneak in, and when getting out you want to be the bull in the china shop. I would also set up several trail cameras pointed to the remaining carcass just before leaving.

Good thread norseman. I'm in the one-kill camp. I do not think that DNA will be enough, but coupled with a few appendages from a type specimen it would most definately be.

As far as going about this - you've got two polar objectives:

A) Locating a specimen at a close enough range to positively ID it

B) Getting out of Dodge alive after the kill.

I think the former is best achieved in a small group, much like P/G. Most likely horseback in prime country. Scents may work. Norseman, sounds like you have been around critters. Animals communicate with scents in ways that we don't always quite understand. I'm no expert on primate scent abilities, but I would imagine BF is much more in tune to scents in the woods than us humans are. Wood knocking and howling ala Finding Bigfoot is overdone IMO. Predator calls would be interesting though.

The later would best be done in a larger group, just to ensure you have enough firepower while transporting the goods. I would also rather be in a vehicle as soon as possible. This could prove very difficult given the remoteness of some locations. And if you believe some reports they can move faster than a 4-wheeler can navigate curvy mountainous roads. Maybe a satellite phone call to that Navy SEAL extraction team to come in via helicopter? ;) I think loud and fast is the way to get out. Leave the others confused and scared before they can react.

The way I look at it, you want to sneak in, and when getting out you want to be the bull in the china shop. I would also set up several trail cameras pointed to the remaining carcass just before leaving.

Good points!

And yes I've packed mules into the backcountry in Wa, Id and Montana..........fun stuff!

Guest TexasTracker

Thought provoking thread for sure.... please post any results if you do make it out, like what worked well, what didn't, etc...

Thought provoking thread for sure.... please post any results if you do make it out, like what worked well, what didn't, etc...

Will do!

And yes, I think this subject is sorely lacking and needs to be discussed in our community.

I would never live in a state with these laws. Unconstitutional liberty thieves!

Anyone in my neck of the woods in Oregon would be foolish to dress up like BF. I'm sure there are people that would do this, but my thoughts say this is the law of natural selection hard at work... If someone did get shot, shame on them...

This^^^^^^^^^

Well said

When I heard of that guy recently who got hit by a car while trying to hoax BF Sightings I just Laughed......IDJUT!!

I am Pro Kill and would love to have the opportunity to take one to the Slab.................However, If I truly saw one, I dont know that I would be able to Pull the trigger on it.......I AM a hunter and have no problem cleaning a hog after killing it, putting it on the grill and eating it...........I prefer wild game and have no problem with killing and animal.

Just dont know that I could kill a Bigfoot, even though I'd like to think I would.

I think having one truly in your sights might change everything

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the best cam for dark timber?

Muticam?

Woodland?

Cadpat?

Woodland Marpat?

Hunting camo like Realtree? Mossyoak?

What do you wear?

I recently bought a Sitka parka:

ProductGroup1351w440MAR.png?20120614113828

Guest zenmonkey

Thats a nice piece of gear norseman. Is it breathable? looks like it'd get hot really fast. Of course nothing would beat Batman's nomex survival suit. lol

Hey Norse, I've enjoyed reading your posts here and believe that you have many good ideas. I also believe a body is what it will take. I've had a Bigfoot in my sights for 10 minutes. It walked within 100 yards of me in a sagebrush filled canyon with no trees in sight. All I could see was hair, empty hands and feet. I could detect no trappings of humanity. It was eastern Washington and Bigfoot was something I only thought was sighted on the Olympic peninsula. I thought it had to be some dumb-ass walking around in a fur suit on the general elk opener. It was 50-60 degrees! I could have dropped him easily with the 30.06 in my hands. I couldn't drop the hammer because I couldn't get my mind past the chance it could be a human. Hell, I even felt guilty looking at it thru my scope! Dang Hunter ED!

With your finger on the trigger, thats what is going through your mind. I'm thinking it will take plenty of pre-situation discussion to help each team member wrap his head around that.

A suggestion I would have for your expedition is to have a second, much more covert team, (equipped with the best optics and night vision you can afford) shadow the first from a distance. Perhaps even enter from a different entry point. If it was a familiar area, the route could be pre-scouted and pre-planned. The teams could know each others locations through GPS. The first team would look like campers with no overt show of weapons or camo but still packin the big stuff. Let them get situated at a camp site for a day or two then slowly bring the second team in from 360 degrees like snipers. Keep team 2 at a distance to observe. Plan different forays for the first team to take while the second team continues shadowing them. It could produce some controlled opportunities for an ambush.

Hey Norse, I've enjoyed reading your posts here and believe that you have many good ideas. I also believe a body is what it will take. I've had a Bigfoot in my sights for 10 minutes. It walked within 100 yards of me in a sagebrush filled canyon with no trees in sight. All I could see was hair, empty hands and feet. I could detect no trappings of humanity. It was eastern Washington and Bigfoot was something I only thought was sighted on the Olympic peninsula. I thought it had to be some dumb-ass walking around in a fur suit on the general elk opener. It was 50-60 degrees! I could have dropped him easily with the 30.06 in my hands. I couldn't drop the hammer because I couldn't get my mind past the chance it could be a human. Hell, I even felt guilty looking at it thru my scope! Dang Hunter ED!

With your finger on the trigger, thats what is going through your mind. I'm thinking it will take plenty of pre-situation discussion to help each team member wrap his head around that.

I hear you completely, it's not a easy decision to make to pull the trigger. But take solace in the fact that I don't think they would hang you for shooting a large black furry figure during hunting season. Nobody wants to take a human life, but in order to solve this mystery we run that risk. For the life of me I cannot fathom why somebody would be that dumb. But it's one reason why I want to take a close shot so I'm fairly sure that what I'm shooting at isn't a human in a suit. I'm 6'3" and if I'm looking up several feet, then it's a pretty sure bet.

A suggestion I would have for your expedition is to have a second, much more covert team, (equipped with the best optics and night vision you can afford) shadow the first from a distance. Perhaps even enter from a different entry point. If it was a familiar area, the route could be pre-scouted and pre-planned. The teams could know each others locations through GPS. The first team would look like campers with no overt show of weapons or camo but still packin the big stuff. Let them get situated at a camp site for a day or two then slowly bring the second team in from 360 degrees like snipers. Keep team 2 at a distance to observe. Plan different forays for the first team to take while the second team continues shadowing them. It could produce some controlled opportunities for an ambush.

We have talked about this type of a plan before, it may have merit.

P.s. Can you shoot me a PM of the general area you were in in E. Washington? I'm not trying to steal your hunting area.......but a sighting plot would be helpful as well as the year.

P.s.s. Nice old school Bronco bud!

Guest Cowlitz2

From an ex-hunter point of view, maybe a large bore rife setup with a camera-mounted scope would provide the right combination. Shoot the picture and drop the hammer when threatened, or just the shooter is sure it is the right thing to do. Have noted that the technology exists on the open market.

From an ex-hunter point of view, maybe a large bore rife setup with a camera-mounted scope would provide the right combination. Shoot the picture and drop the hammer when threatened, or just the shooter is sure it is the right thing to do. Have noted that the technology exists on the open market.

I've looked at an Iphone app and bracket for doing something like that.....

The iphone app actually works pretty well we have been playing around with them at work. I am still trying to get a TD on a thermal scope with video capabilities

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic