The Kill Club

norseman

The iphone app actually works pretty well we have been playing around with them at work. I am still trying to get a TD on a thermal scope with video capabilities

Adam how does it work exactly from what I've researched your actually sighting thru the I phone?

yes your basically looking at the scope site on the window of you IPHONE. great for taking pics and video through the scope and not to bad to shoot once you get used to it

Guest MoMoMafia

Pro-kill here. I believe them to be an animal so harvesting a specimen for science seems reasonable to me.

If I were alone I would never take a shot at one except in self defense. I think I'd also want something larger than my Savage which is chambered in .270WIN.

Awesome thread and a very interesting read.

MMM

Norseman,

Good luck w/this project. I'm pro "one dead body" whether through a hunter or road-kill. But isn't this thread moot, since that guy in California shot/killed 2 bigfeet & sent in body parts to some Dr. for DNA testing? /sarcasm

After reading the thread, some (intended to be constructive) thoughts:

* Developing intelligence to identify/refine a target area is going to be a challange and might take awhile before you can put boots on the ground. Why? BF = animal, BF does not plant crops & herd cattle, so BF has to constantly forage. Is BF's home territory 10 sq mi, 30 sq mi, or even more? A couple of sightings at "point x" might mean you start the search 10 miles east or west of point X, not at the point of the last sighting.

* Patrol teams - What's a realistic speed for patrols on foot (you wouldn't have them on mules, right?) in rough (and unfamiliar for some) terrain while sneaking and peeking? 2 MPH? What's BF's crusing speed in the same terrain? Rather than patrols out from a central point, it might need to be a pattern that spirals in.

* Combining the two points above, how much time on the ground will be needed? Even in an area w/a high likelihood of BF around, if their daily range is large and the daily range of humans on the ground is small, and if BF is better adapted (e.g., can smell/hear humans before humans smell/hear BF), then it might be weeks tracking just to get into position for a shot.

* Rather than a base camp in the woods w/commo, QRF, etc., what about a base camp in civilization on the perimeter of the target area? (I am not familiar w/the Pacific northwest.) Could that base camp provide better C2 for the various teams and provide an extraction capability to get the teams and body parts out quickly. For example, rather than packing body parts out the whole way back to civilization, pack them out to a rendevous point on a logging road where a 4-wheel drive takes them the rest of the way out.

Last thought on shooting BF, from an area where I have some expertise ('cause I have almost none on tracking, packing, hunting, etc.). A shooter absolutely has to have positive identification of "Not Human" (ie., not a guy in a gorilla suit and not just shooting at a vaguely seen shape behind a tree). God forbid someone has the incredible bad luck to shoot a person who had the (worse) luck of picking that area and that time to pull a "really cool hoax" on all those gullible BF hunters. Pointing the weapon at that dumb schmuck and pulling the trigger w/o clear target identification could put one at risk for manslaughter (minimum) charges. One might plausibly say, "I shot what I honestly thought was a bear" and (assuming testimony on the mistaken identity issue is credible), the DA might, depending on the jurisdiction, decide not to prosecute or might hold out for a plea of negligent homicide. You just can't point shoot a human shaped target because you "thought" it was a Bigfoot.

Again, good luck - I'm east coast, so all I can offer is moral support

Trogs.

Trog,

I think one person was shot in Pa. Another person was pulling a prank and got hit by not one vehicle but two. Seek and you shall find. It's here on the forum somewhere.

Peace

so BF has to constantly forage. Is BF's home territory 10 sq mi, 30 sq mi, or even more? A couple of sightings at "point x" might mean you start the search 10 miles east or west of point X, not at the point of the last sighting.

* Patrol teams - What's a realistic speed for patrols on foot (you wouldn't have them on mules, right?) in rough (and unfamiliar for some) terrain while sneaking and peeking? 2 MPH? What's BF's crusing speed in the same terrain? Rather than patrols out from a central point, it might need to be a pattern that spirals in.

It would be more efficient to lure them in and let them find you, rather than running around the woods looking for them.

Guest Cervelo

It's been discussed....maybe send in some "bait" and then a second group stalks the bait that might generate some interest.

Or preposition the shooter and have a group walk in and camp in a "safe spot" and see if anything investigates.

But I don't think anyone in the group that's done as much hunting as this group has thinks we'er going to track down Bigfoot.

It will defiantly be, get in the right spot and wait or get them to move toward an ambush.

Omah,

Gotta' work on my dry humor, that was supposed to be a reference to the Sierra Kills steaks being given to Dr. Ketchum's DNA study.

Madison, Cervelo,

Agree with both, I still think getting into position to act as bait will be difficult. Trying to guess at this critter's home range is tough - but going to a sighting location three days later might mean your 5, 10, or 15 miles (or more) from the target.

Might come down to more scouts/bait and only 1 or 2 "kill" teams. If you have an area where there is I a sighting and a scout/bait team gets "contact," (which might mean howls or wood knocks some distance away), use the road to insert a shooting team a terrain feature ahead of the target. I'm assuming no one who is lucky enough to get out there will be able to call in a buddy w/a Warthog that can be covering the whole area and respond to the team that sights the target.

Edited by Trogluddite

It's been discussed....maybe send in some "bait" and then a second group stalks the bait that might generate some interest.

Or preposition the shooter and have a group walk in and camp in a "safe spot" and see if anything investigates.

Maybe some girl scouts. Worked real well for the FB team.

BFF Patron

A BFRO team in West Virginia had success with the outnumber them and then have one member drop out and go incommunicado and stay camoued in a hidey hole of some kind....... takes some nerves of steel but if you want to run into one 30 to 50 yards outside of camp (I think this was Leigh Culver that dropped out..... and almost got run over by a BF)..... not sure which WV sighting it was but it worked, on second thought it may have been a NC outing----- if BF can see you in daylight and it starts to get dark maybe they can't count better than a horse then.

Would this be "overkill"...

Take that Bigfoot!

Picture deleted out of space concerns - the problem is (and also w/my idea) is that the goal is to have BF pieces large to collect, right?

SSR Team

You'd have to lure one, I can't see no other reasonable idea of how to do this.

Going searching for one with no actual live leads is madness in my opinion and is a needle in a haystack and a waste of time and money.

How to lure one is the million dollar question though, and even with that you would STILL need a live and current lead to put you in a position to be able to do so.

You're right Bobby. The million dollar question......

I think if you followed recent reports in an area you're familiar with already you'd be a step in the right direction. I think if you copied the activities of the reporting party: camping, hiking, hunting, woodcutting, rock-hounding, whatever, you'd have a proven lure. Let the first team concentrate on that activity while the second team watches from a distance, completely concealed physically as well as scent covered.

I believe the biggest challenge would be identifying a sufficient number of committed people to get the job done. It would require vehicles, pack-animals, camping equipment, food logistics, weapons, optics, communication equipment, etc. If the timing falls during a hunting season, then hunting licenses( for game....not bigfoot) and tags will be needed as well. Several areas I hunt in limit access only to valid tag-holders. I could see this turning into some serious cash outlay for a limited return. Maybe not a million dollars....but a couple hundred thousand perhaps?

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic