Searching For Bigfoot In Oregon

• 3 weeks later...

MISCELLANEOUS

Date: February 1, 2013

Time: 5:10 - 5:45pm

Weather: Overcast and cool 40 degrees

What happened: My friend M and I went out to the original site area and left a zippered black insulated baby bottle bag (6"x4"x3") on a 6-foot tall branch of a tree out on the game trails, just off to the side. The bag contains a jar of peanut butter, a geode and a small cigar. We walked the game trails out about 5 minutes off the main trails, not really very far in actuality, but hopefully far enough. Further than where we left the honey and salt last time, at least. Thank goodness night is retreating - it was still light when we got there and dusk fell as we were leaving and dark when we got back to my van. Neither of us heard or saw anything, but I just bought a new cheap video recorder and was playing with it, recording the whole time. It has a memory card, so in the next few days we'll pull it out and watch it on her computer. The screen on the silly thing is 1" x 1", very tiny. She was recording on her phone, which is much better quality. Maybe we'll post some of it, but mostly we were just fooling around on our night off from her kids and my son and enjoying being kid-free. There was no one else out there on the main trails, and certainly no one out on the game trails that lead off into the brush further in. There were a few cars on the main parking area, but we could see folks packing up for the night, as the area and river landing closes at dusk and gets gated.

We will go back in a few days when the kids are in school and see if it was taken/rummaged through/whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

MISCELLANEOUS

Date: February 15, 2013

Time: 4:00 - 4:20pm

Weather: Overcast and cool 40 degrees

What happened: Went out on a whim with my research partner and our kids, on our side of the river (35 feet of river between us and the other shore). Whistled from the hidden river bank and got some whistling back... could have been anything... birds etc... but there WERE some that sounded a bit different from the rest. Just kinda wanted to "touch base" if anyone/anything was there at that location. Normally, I don't want to take kids, but it was daytime and we had a river between us - kids thought it was fun and we thought it was low risk. Would like to go out to this spot in the dark... have a feeling it would be a different story altogether.

+ 1 madison5716 for your field work effort and data point collections. If I had this kind off research reports to look at all day in the winter it would be alot more informative and useful. Best of luck. :D

Thanks, Nathan!

MISCELLANEOUS

Date: Monday, February 18, 2013

Time: 1 - 5:00 pm

Weather: Cool 45'ish, somewhat sunny, partially cloudy but nice all the same!

What happened: Not much really. Just a beautiful day hiking in the woods and letting the boys run and blow off steam (my 9yo on and his 11 year old best friend). This is a new area I'm checking out. Found a website with dozens of short, easy hikes that we can do soon, and am trying out the closest ones on nice days. Is all of Lane County this "squatchy"? I hate that term, but it sure does fit! Only one interesting moment... I'd noticed early on (in the odd moments when the boys were actually quiet) that the forest was dead silent. No birds or other noises whatsoever. We hiked a good long ways along the big, maintained trails and threw rocks in the river... finally, I talked to the boys about it... I said out loud "Wow, sure is quiet, don't hear ANY birds, that's kinda weird" and immediately there was a loud "CAW" from a crow. I looked all around and didn't see a crow anywhere. I right away thought of the habituation thread where we were all discussing crows and their association with bigfoots and I started laughing.... and hurried the boys along just in case. Then we continued playing at the large playground. There were maybe four other people in the entire park that we saw that day (being Monday and not a weekend). Didn't see anyone at all on the trails - they all stayed in the "park" area of the Rec Area. Didn't see any broken trees (that looked out of place or deliberately broken), no wood structures, no X's, no footprints (too much mulch on the paths, but I looked anyway), no sounds or smells, except for the crow. Just a weird coincidence that I thought I'd post here.

Edited by madison5716

I would like to discuss the possibility of doing an "Operation Persistence" type research operation here in Oregon, though I don't want a kill to be the goal, but audio/video/physical proof would be the goal, in keeping with my "no kill" philosophy (let the TBRC get the kill). Can we discuss this?

The time and dedication the OP folks have shown is amazing. I've been reading the thread on and off. It would be great for something like this to be pursued here, but how/who?

On another note, I went for a short hike today, searching for cougar tracks, as I think I saw one there last week. I would love to learn some real tracking skills. We think we found one, as well as a few black bear tracks. (That was a surprise - I know they're in the area, but hadn't heard of them on this section of trail) We also found an interesting large track with toes - but I'd be shocked if there were bigfoots there. I took pics of some of the tracks, and now I understand the difficulty in recording tracks! It's quite difficult to see in the photo what we saw in person. Near impossible.

It's quite difficult to see in the photo what we saw in person. Near impossible.

I also would like to learn tracking skills. Maybe we can put our heads together and find someone local to teach us. BTW, I'm still considering that dinner at Ike's. I think I have at least four interested people (you included), so I'm just looking at times and having the money to actually do it. There's a few more folks I'd like to invite. And I'll have to call the restaurant and get their hours.

MISCELLANEOUS

Date: Sunday, February 24, 2013

Time: 1 - 5:00 pm

Weather: Cool 45-ish, sunny and beautiful

What happened: Hiked out to retrieve the hidden lunch bag finally. However, it was not there, nor could we find it anywhere near where we hung it. So we left and went fishing instead :) Didn't catch anything there, either.

I've been thinking... I think they are in the lowlands in the summer and may move up higher in the winter. That sounded strange to me at first...wouldn't you stay where it was warmer and had less snow? BUT it doesn't matter - you go where the food is. In winter, it's deer in the hills. In summer, it's the farm crops on the valley floor for easy pickin's, and hanging out by the river. So, out to the hills I should go. At night. In the dark. With extra pants. <gulp>

Edited by madison5716

Most of my winter time activity is higher up above the snowline. You would think it would be easy to track BF's in the snow. It's not. All tracks that I've seen come out of the pucker brush and go into the pucker brush or streams/creeks. They don't stay on roads or trails for long.

One of the young ladies I was with this past weekend had her possible encounter above the snowline as well. Her and a friend were four wheeling and made it further than anyone else and got stuck. She said as they were digging out at night something was throwing rocks at their direction for about an hour.

Well, I'm not going THAT far up, not with bald tires and a minivan, lol. Just up into them thar hills all around town. Planning on doing the "bigfoot fan tour" this summer and hitting the redwoods and the Bluff Creek area, just to say I've been there, after the van has a thorough tune up and probably some repairs.

Cheers to those who are more adventurous than I am, but the way things are, I can't do all I would like to do... but I'll do what I can!

Edited by madison5716

Well, I'm not going THAT far up, not with bald tires and a minivan, lol. Just up into them thar hills all around town. Planning on doing the "bigfoot fan tour" this summer and hitting the redwoods and the Bluff Creek area, just to say I've been there, after the van has a thorough tune up and probably some repairs.

Cheers to those who are more adventurous than I am, but the way things are, I can't do all I would like to do... but I'll do what I can!

Time to trade in that mini van for a Ford Excursion! ;)

00-ford-excursion.jpg

• 2 weeks later...