Incidents That Happened In The Field, You Can't Explain.. But Want To Know More About

Camping in the woods at night, around 11:00...Heard loud booms. If you remember the scene in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex walks up to the land cruisers with the boom, boom of its footsteps...it sounded pretty close to that. There was no construction in the area. Perhaps it was seismic activity? Very eerie...hopefully it isn't a T-rex (ha ha).

coonrattle.wav

Did it sound anything like this googoo?

Pardon the quick clip and attachment, it sounds a bit corrupted and isn't my best file of fighting raccoons, it's just this one has that little extra special something to it.

No sorry it didn't sound like that. It sounded exactly like a cat fight. Not the pre-contact growling/howls they do, but the actually contact where they are screaming and all you see is a ball of fur going round and round.

Birds do make some surprisingly loud, and uncharacteristic noises. I don't doubt a cat bird could be the culprit in your case also.

Another possibility could be racoons. Especially if it was a den tree, and they were fighting over the best space. Like kids crammed in the backseat of a car: "Mom! His legs touching mine!"

Oh I looked it up and I believe it was a northern mocking bird. Catbirds make a mild mewing type noise which is how they get thier name.

Camping in the woods at night, around 11:00...Heard loud booms. If you remember the scene in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex walks up to the land cruisers with the boom, boom of its footsteps...it sounded pretty close to that. There was no construction in the area. Perhaps it was seismic activity? Very eerie...hopefully it isn't a T-rex (ha ha).

Hey NCBF what part of the country are you from? I think there was a town in Wisconson that was plauged with a large booming noise. They finally got some good recordings and the time it was recorded coincided with eathquakes that were deep under ground and not that strong.

The only time I saw tracks was when I was nine years old. I was with my aunt and uncle and we were on a camping trip up around Breitenbush and Olallie lakes. There's a ton of small lakes in the area and I can't tell you which one it was because I was nine and wasn't paying attention to where we were. We had made a stop to take a leak and make a sandwich. While my aunt was doing the sandwich making I wandered away to take care of hydrating a plant or two. There was a small lake about a hundred yards off the road from where we were parked that I found. I added to the water table and was walking around doing what kids do and stumbled onto a set of huge footprints. Just seeing them scared the crap out of me at that age as I could only imagine what made them? They walked into the lake about fifteen feet then came back out and then continued around the lake into the woods. We backtracked the prints up to the road and found that they had come off the side hill across the road and down to the lake. They didn't seem to be faked. They had deeper depressions in the heel and ball of the foot and distinct toes. We left and ate our sandwiches elsewhere. I thought about those tracks everynight while I was laying in my sleeping bag in the tent on that trip. Gave me the jitters. This account is in one of John Greenes books...

During the '93 archery season I was in an area east of the Clack drainage along the WS reservation. My buddy worked second shift and was going to drive up and meet me after work. That would have put him up there about 1:30AM. I got up to this spot about 6:00PM and it was drizzling rain. I got camp set up and since I had about an hour to hour and a half of daylight left I thought I'd go out and call a little. I didn't have an archery elk tag because I drew a rifle tag so I could hunt with the old man that year. I went out and called and ended up calling in a nice bull that I couldn't shoot. He would have scored well over 300 and gave me a nice 20 yard broadside shot. That's great, but no tag. I'm all excited and head back to camp and get a small fire going. I didn't spend anytime getting firewood and used little wet stuff that was around camp. So I made the old standby of dinty Moore and sat next to my pitiful wet campfire that barely burned and listened to the Blazers play whoever they were palying that night. The game must have been out of town because I remember it ended at about 8:30 and I decided because it was still drizzling and I had a lousy fire that I would call it a night and climbed into the back of my Toyota, closed the canopy and crawled into my sleeping bag. I snuggled in and relaxed to think about the next mornings hunt and how I hoped I could call that bull back in for my buddy when I thought I heard something? This was within five minutes of going to bed. I told myself it was my imagination and closed my eyes when my truck moved. Something pushed it or bumped it. I couldn't hear anything else after that but my heartbeat. Here I was 65 miles from Estacada with nobody within probably 20 miles of me so I know somebody wasn't playing tricks on me. It was pitch black out and I couldn't see a thing because there was no moon and something is being pretty forward with me. It hung around for the next three hours or so messing with stuff in camp though it never got into a cooler or anything else food related. Was it a bear? I don't know? I finally manned up and got mad and fired a round from my .357 out of my canopy window into the ground and it left, but then came back for awhile then left for good. My buddy showed up a little after one and I told him what happened and he laughed at me. He doesn't believe in anything other than what is proven. His logic said bear or something else. It moved my truck with me in the back of it. Bear? Maybe?

The next year I was up in the same place during bow season. I parked at that camp spot and took off on a morning hunt. The bulls up there are hard to get started bugling. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes of constant bugling to get them going. I finally got a bull bugling then more joined in. I was probably a mile and a half to two miles from my truck and had elk all around me. I had a little three point bull come into 40 yards of me but didn't shoot him. His little three points were a perfect little 3pt. crown that could cradle baseball. He wandered away and I continued calling. Bulls were bugling, cows were mewing, the sun was shining, it was a great morning. Then it ws like something turned off the elk switch. My wind was good, I'm always aware of that. The woods just went dead silent. It was about nine in the morning and I figured I would start back toward the truck which was close to two miles away. As I was walking I felt like I was being watched and I felt real un-easy. I was getting that hair on the back of your neck standing up feeling and moved a little faster. I was in some pretty heavy patches of brush and Rhodies at times and my mind went back to the above story and I thought to myself that today is the day that I'm going to see something I don't really want to see. I ended up back to the truck and never saw anything, but I know something was there. I've never had that feeling before that day or since. Maybe it was a cougar? Maybe it wasn't? I will never know, but it was something.

That's all I got. Could be bear or cougar in the second and third instance. The first story I know what I saw. Doesn't mean that bigfoot is real, but it would be cool.

I want to start this off by saying that I in no way think that this had anything to do with sasquatch

This happened during the last week of September while I was hunting up at Pink Mountain

One of my hunting partners was sitting near a clearing about 800 to 1000 meters away from me as the crow flies, he was also at least 30 meters higher in elevation

I had to drive about a km down the road from where he walked into to where the road Y'd then drove up the spur and walked into the bush about 75 meters and settled down

I was siting along 1 ridge that had a few other ridges running parallel to it.

About an hour later I heard something walking along one ridge over towards my partner. I could not move or see what was there.

About a half hour later I heard something else walk the same route as the last one only this time it was making donkey sounds.

The thing was it sounded like a person that was trying to imitate a donkey

About a half hour after dark I walked back to my quad then drove back to camp.

After dinner my friend said, man that was weird

When I asked him what he told me that something walked by him just out of sight that sounded like a person trying to imitate a coyote. Then about a half hour later something else walked the same trail and sounded like a person trying to imitate a donkey

Of course we all started making jokes about sasquatch

PART TWO

That night we go to bed

We are sleeping in a 23 foot travel trailer, my friend is sleeping in his own bedroom and my brother and I are sleeping in the two fold down beds in the living/kitchen area

About 4:30 AM I wake up to a weird sound (my brother noticed I was awake and said that this was going on for over 45 minutes )

You would hear a "bang, bang, bang" like two pieces of wood being banged together, it only lasted 2 or 3 seconds then it would be silent for 5 or 10 minutes then start again but in a different location

The sound was about a 100 meters away in the bush

My brother said it was slowly circling our camp

It was pitch black outside and we could not see any lights through the windows

My brother had been trying to see what was making the noise since he first heard it

We both listened and watched for about a half hour

It was constant 2 or 3 seconds of banging followed by 5 or 10 minutes of silence

We then opened the door and tried looking around

We didn't see or hear anything after we opened the door

I have no idea what it was, I have hunted all my life and have heard deer, moose and elk rattle many times over the years and have never heard anything like it

This was only my third time hunting there but my brother and our friend have hunted there since the mid 1980's

Since it was way to dark to walk around out there without lights or night vision, I can only assume that it was an elk or moose doing some rattling in a way I have never heard before and not bugeling or grunting

When i was young, my friends and i used to catch big bumble bees. We would use 3 liter soda bottles, just place opening over flower with bee on it, then put lid on. Would catch dozens in one bottle like this. But every now and then we would come across a massive bee, look just like normal bumble bee but HUGE!, and we would put mouth of bottle over it and it would be way to big to fit in!! Then we would be like OH CRAP!!! and bolt before it came after us.

When i was in college i was talking to a professor about this who was big on insects and had a large bee collection. He told me there are no bees in PA that are that big and i must be imagining things. My best guess given size of 3liter soda bottle mouth opening is that the Bee would have been 2" or longer. When i visit back home i often want to do some bee hunting to see if i can't come across one of these massive bees again.

Hey Bigbear, I know what you're talking about. A few yrs. ago I was visiting my daughter in Nashville, and I was getting something out of a shed. I heard this deep buzzing noise and saw a huge bumble bee go past me out of the shed. It was at least 2.5" and was so fat it could barely clear the ground. It looked about twice the size of the biggest one I ever saw in Minnesota. My son in law said they probly get bigger down there due to the longer growing seasons.

Guest TexasTracker

I have heard childlike laughter { recorded on audio } and once a child like voice singing under it's breathe and then the singing turned into talking with a voice inflection like it was asking questions, I could not understand anything it was saying. It made by blood run cold and my body started to shake. I have heard a buzzing sound in one ear but not in the other, it was directional, I could trun my head and the sound would reduce. I could also feel it going through the other side of my body and it made that side completely numb { weird ! }.

Hate to say this and open a can of worms here, but it sounds a lot like a soft "zapping"....

Guest Kronprinz Adam

I have heard childlike laughter { recorded on audio } and once a child like voice singing under it's breathe and then the singing turned into talking with a voice inflection like it was asking questions, I could not understand anything it was saying. It made by blood run cold and my body started to shake...

Dear NathanFooter:...could this be one of the very rare ocassions when rational people meet some weird unknown phenomenon, which may be classified as "paranormal"?

When i was young, my friends and i used to catch big bumble bees. We would use 3 liter soda bottles, just place opening over flower with bee on it, then put lid on. Would catch dozens in one bottle like this. But every now and then we would come across a massive bee, look just like normal bumble bee but HUGE!...

An undiscovered species? Or maybe a rare mutation of the normal bumble bees?

Edited by Kronprinz Adam

How about a strange encounter that explained itself?

A good 18 years ago I was bowhunting a state park a bit east of town. This park is Called Graham's Island as it is literally an island on the big lake with at that time one road in & out due to flooding. It was early Sept and the tag was for doe only as the park was reducing the deer population.

I was 12 feet up a tree on a ladder stand overlooking two deer trails that crossed perfectly for a left hand 15 yard shot. Being early there was still quite a bit of vegetation & leaves up which restricted visibility to just a few yards even from the stand. It was prime time, just getting onto dark, when I hear what sounded like someone grumbling under their breath back in the brush. Kind of on the edge of my hearing ability and no words I could make out, the best I can describe it was like an old man grumbling and griping under his breath. What ever it was, it sounded like it was on the trail slightly to my right, and getting closer headed toward my shooting lane.

It's getting darker by the second and I'm a bit freaked out now. I know for sure it's not a deer and it doesn't sound like a human, to be honest "monkee" crossed my mind as I prepared myself for a shot if whatever it was proved to be unfriendly.

So what steps out into my shooting lane?.... A big old quill pig! Porcupines are not common here in ND but not so uncommon it's a big deal when a person sees one. I have no idea what those sounds he (or she) was making meant, but it waddled on by on the deer trail, making that grumbling sound the entire way. I could easily keep track of his progress a good 100 yards past my stand.

I had heard porkies make a godawful squalling sound before, but this was the first time for what I think of as the little old grumpy man sound....

Again, for what it's worth...

Edited by NDT

No sorry it didn't sound like that. It sounded exactly like a cat fight. Not the pre-contact growling/howls they do, but the actually contact where they are screaming and all you see is a ball of fur going round and round.

Oh I looked it up and I believe it was a northern mocking bird. Catbirds make a mild mewing type noise which is how they get thier name.

Hey NCBF what part of the country are you from? I think there was a town in Wisconson that was plauged with a large booming noise. They finally got some good recordings and the time it was recorded coincided with eathquakes that were deep under ground and not that strong.

I live in NC...we search in the Uwharrie National Forest

• 2 months later...

I once had a deer stolen that I had just shot and was preparing to butcher. It was late september and bow season and I had just shot a good sized doe maybe 140 lbs. It took myself about 45 mins to drag her behind my house which was only a few hundred yards away. I get her hung rite behind my house and I went inside to grab my knives. I was inside less than 3 minutes I come out and the deer was gone along with the rope attached. I live on about 30 acres and I know there was nobody else around. I mean I literally walk in and walk out and its just gone nowhere in sight. I've had tons of strange things happen in the woods but that's probably near the top of the list

BFF Patron

I have heard childlike laughter { recorded on audio } and once a child like voice singing under it's breathe and then the singing turned into talking with a voice inflection like it was asking questions, I could not understand anything it was saying. It made by blood run cold and my body started to shake...

Dear NathanFooter:...could this be one of the very rare ocassions when rational people meet some weird unknown phenomenon, which may be classified as "paranormal"?

When i was young, my friends and i used to catch big bumble bees. We would use 3 liter soda bottles, just place opening over flower with bee on it, then put lid on. Would catch dozens in one bottle like this. But every now and then we would come across a massive bee, look just like normal bumble bee but HUGE!...

An undiscovered species? Or maybe a rare mutation of the normal bumble bees?

It was likely a Queen according to Table 1 in this article.   A friend saw one the other day while out hiking and I missed it.......compared to a nearby one .....  it was apparently ginormus. As bumbles are annual queen's have to forage with the best of them for a short time in spring each year to get things established. 

To stay on task I have had several explosive sounds--not gunfire (and no not a bad case of gas, lol) echo out of nearby mtn valleys while researching in broad daylight (not any kind of quarry blasts, too close).  I've never been able to figure them out.  Got one recorded even and still can't figure it out.  

Edited by bipedalist

My unexplained thing that I posted a long time ago was actually explained.  We went back a couple of days later for more investigation with a working camera and, looking at it all more closely, you could see the legs were sawn off.  Therefore the kill zone was actually a poacher/hunter dump of leftover body parts that s/he didn't take.