Incidents That Happened In The Field, You Can't Explain.. But Want To Know More About

BFF Patron

Is your recording posted anywhere would love to hear it!

Background is it was late morning (early August) and I was in a sasquatch hot zone, I was screwing around trying to rig up an apple bait by violating all the Boy Scout rules on using sharp instruments (lesson learned for the umpteenth time, lol).  I tried to drive a sharp stick through an apple (don't ask me why......it actually was a downed tree top with sharp, ice broken limbs raised up off the forest floor as I recall)...... and succeeded in almost putting it through the palm of my hand.   Thus the painful groans prior to the 1.27 mins cupped loud percussive sound that emanated from nearby.  

I was holding the recorder for awhile trying to multitask which didn't help any which is where alot of the background crackling comes from. 

It was always an enigma to me where the sound came from and how it was made.

I do know one thing, the loud groaning may have been heard if anything else was nearby (but there was not obvious laughter....just this percussive sound some time later), lol. 

http://snd.sc/138adsy

Edited by bipedalist

Guest SquatchinNY

This is the only thing that ever happened to me that could POSSIBLY be squatch related.

I recorded at least one wood knock at a campground. The thing is, there are several possible explanations. Ine kid said he was beating a rock against a tree, but this was wood on wood. There could have been boyscouts up to something also, as they were camping nearby.

Honest chance of it being a Sas is like...2%.

BFF Patron

Figured out how to load this link Cerv (can't do the short version to embed when you share from soundcloud to get the widget to post here at BFF) (see post above for background)

https://soundcloud.com/bipedalist/8210b202xunknownknockechocontext

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

Nope, pretty sure it wasn't distant and was local to the valley system I was in, it was so loud it startled me into a .......  what was that......  can't wait to hear the recording....moment (even though I was rolling in pain still).  Not a big deal though, plenty of other recorded unidentified vocals and such that could keep me and a team busy for awhile. 

But it's the mtns.  and stuff echos.  Had one other incident that was similar in that valley but much more like a rumbling explosion that was close in my prerecorder days.  

Something interesting I found today.  A dead fox, actually only half of a dead fox.  The shoulder blades neck and skull.  What caught my attention is that the skin had been pulled inside out and over the head.  It was still attached at the snout just behind the nose.  The meat was gone but the skin still had fur on it.  Do coyotees do this sort of thing?  

Only a human or hairy guy with hands can pull the skin the way you describe.  Besides if it was some other known predator it would have teeth marks on the skin.

Thank you Sunflower for the reply.  Found a couple of strange prints in the bottom of the creek as well.   Couldn't tell anything definite on those, may have been people feet.  But the fox was just strange.

Sounds familiar, eh Nathan?

Good to see you around Nate. We were wondering in the chat the other night where the heck you've been.

Guest ewashguy56

I think I would go back there but with some kind of protection for sure. The description of the fox is pretty disgusting.

Rockape  I have been out in the woods :D and  have found a few interesting things while I was out , I will post about it as soon as I get more feed back from cliff.

I went back out again and looked at it today.  I believe I was mistaken in calling it a fox.  It is a smaller coyote.  It was hard to tell because its pelt is inside out  and all I had to look at for coloring was the front leg which was very rusty red in color.  We spent more time looking in the grass and not far away we found the skull with neck attached and a leg of a small domestic dog.  I am 99% sure it is from a chihuahua.  I have three chihuahuas so I am quite sure it is a toy chihuahua.  Also some wads of hair that look like hair that could have come from a persian cat???  All of these were pretty close together, right next to a big oak tree.  I guess I could try and take pictures if anyone is interested.  Not sure it would show the situation well.

Edited by shuseby

I went back out again and looked at it today.  I believe I was mistaken in calling it a fox.  It is a smaller coyote.  It was hard to tell because its pelt is inside out  and all I had to look at for coloring was the front leg which was very rusty red in color.  We spent more time looking in the grass and not far away we found the skull with neck attached and a leg of a small domestic dog.  I am 99% sure it is from a chihuahua.  I have three chihuahuas so I am quite sure it is a toy chihuahua.  Also some wads of hair that look like hair that could have come from a persian cat???  All of these were pretty close together, right next to a big oak tree.  I guess I could try and take pictures if anyone is interested.  Not sure it would show the situation well.

I asked Nathan if the rolled up skin sounded familiar because he witness the sasme thing, and I have read other reports of this happening, all involving BF sightings. Seems a curious thing, I don't think many known predators would pull skin in that manner, most just tear away. It would be interesting to hear from wildlife experts if this has ever been observed in a known wolf-bear-mountain lion kill.

Rockape  I have been out in the woods :D and  have found a few interesting things while I was out , I will post about it as soon as I get more feed back from cliff.

Good to hear you're still out there looking Nathan. Good luck and be safe!